Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airblade Inventions

Post Thanks / Like
    Bio Gen Flyers

Didn't try this until now.

4 fan flyer
    Has one chest and spot light. Speed 71 KPH and 125 altitude.

https://youtu.be/2biWpQqpNlU

5 fan flyer
    Higher altitude 140 then the 4 fan. No spot light just nav beacons.Power is maxed out. Single chest and 71 KPH. Easy to build but weight is very critical on both.
    Edit: I put 2 chests on it which works but the altitude drops to 120. I favor the extra chest for loot.

https://youtu.be/PHBikYy0yzI
    Last edited by tp555; 30-12-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    A small container is 200 whatever the measurement unit is, as the game does not specify that. Let's assume MU is Kg.
    It seems the weight is not dynamic, so it is 200 Kg, no matter if it is full or empty.

That being said, 30 small containers is 6000 Kg. The generators are 2.7K, of which you have two. Plus the cockpit and other structural parts. That would add up to a sh*tload of airblades to get the thing moving Too bad we don't know the lifting capability of one airblade.
    A bit of a throw back to an older comment but I figured I'd share: http://steamcommunity.com/app/504050...4915805156097/

I make this thread on steam and after I did went to do some testing/research on my own. One air blade has roughly a 33:1 to 30:1 TWR, I got different results with different forms of counter weight, but that may just be due to shape and the limited angle of a fulcrum for testing lift. Either way, that allows one air blade to lift at least 1800 weight, at most about 1960. Now, that doesn't mean sustained flight, so you'd need likely closer to 1600~ weight per blade, but still very useful info to know. If you have a 1:1 TWR to possible weight lift, you'll barely move. The further you exceed the minimum TWR the faster you can go. I'm still trying to figure out what the optimal TWR to possible weight lift is for max flight speed. I'll likely make a whole post with my findings once it's completely discovered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also done some testing in the mean time, but my approach was less clean. I used my flier and added weight to it 'till the point it couldn't lift off anymore. Result was that one blade could lift ~750 - that is were it barely lifts. Final conclusion of mine was that aiming to the 10 to 1 ratio would give satisfying lift and speed specs.

This is in line with the initial conclusion of the steam thread, but I wonder from where does that quite big of a difference come in the test with the armor blocks. Lifting 1800 is more than twice of my results and I don't think I've ever managed to build something that was able to lift more than 1000/blade. And it also seems to be a bit too much to be th result of just inaccurate block weight information in the tooltips.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Tested out on my dual flyer.
    Value is for a single blade
    765 about 2 feet up no more
    750 gets 20 feet takes 2 minutes to do so
    730 113 slow
    705 116 useful but slow
    690 118 good
    670 121
    650 123 real good

- - - Updated - - -
    Solo single fan flyer

You knew I'd get to this. After testing out the fan lift stats figured out I can do this so. Doable with 2 batts or 3. Get more time with 3 I went that way. You need 4 E2 chips for this. Also need 2 each Frame2, Plate 2 and comp2 to get the unlocking of fans. Scrap your pod and you got it Altitude w/2 batts 120 and 114 with 3. Use about 15% (2Batts) to get 3k away to the field. With 3 batts 10%. More time collecting ores then flying. Tricky to fly but doable.

https://youtu.be/guq944-l1f0
    Last edited by tp555; 31-12-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tp555 View Post
    That is so cool. Now thats what I call a scout/recon vehicle. Bring enough supplies to build a recharging station, charge her up every so often and your golden.
    I'm so gonna make this (or close) later on.

I made this today as I was needing distance and capacity. Seeing as the world I'm on is many, many huge islands in my surrounding area I need to do some aerial recon. This was a 'functionality" build mostly but I didnt want it to look like krap 'just to get the job done' so I did add a few bits and bolts, for polish, but had to keep weight to a minimum.

thumbnails above will redirect to the main page for images --> https://postimg.org/gallery/2rwo9sm80/

I went with the wheel based suspension for landing gear (1st pic). The only reason is 'cause it looked so cool. No gear on the back as I liked the look of the skidplate and actually do land it "ass first" as she is a teeny bit heavy in the rear (about 200 Lbs). This thing truly looks like a ship landing and taking off, as the suspension "reacts' to the different weight distribution and terrain/ground. The springs flex and contort as the ship settles and shifts to a resting state.

I attached a winch to a reccesed cavity on the underside just behind the cockpit (3rd pic)... for those unforseen flip-overs.
    I used switches as the landing gear pads (3rd pic) as I don't think the suspension arms like"playing" with the terrain that much.
    She was shimmy-shaken all over the place till I put the "pads' on.

3 switches control all electrical connections and are easily accesible from the side of the flyer that you typically get "exited" to. (5th pic)
    17 batteries (each one, individually) connected to switch #1 (top) which is, in turn, my 'charge-point'
    switch #1 is connected to switch #2 (all rotars/airblade power, middle)
    switch #1 is also connected to switch #3 (lights, bottom) cause why burn batteries during the day
    the winch is connected directly to switch #1

I also have a solar beacon at the rear of the vessel but I don't use it as a running light. Four mounted lights on the front is more than enough and the beacon is mostly used when I have to land and charge. As a way to find my ship if I wander to far, which happens often.

7 storage crates should be ample room for the loot that I may be finding. Plus weight restrictions limits me adding more.
    I've got six easy access (3 per side) as st-ORE-age and one is in the nose-cone of the cockpit... It's kindda like my tool chest, food storage, all in one and I only ever put ores into it if I'm being overly greedy. Once the crates are full I'm typically "homeward bound".

Actually this vehicles main purpose is to help me find and transport Xaenite (did i spell that right?), which, I've found, is always so darn far away.
    Not worried about much else in the raw-ore department as I already have 3 large storage containers packed with raw materials from ground based rover-gathering, tonnes of Uranium already processed, and more gold, silver and other "shiny rocks" than I can shake a stick at.

I haven't named her yet, as her maiden flight was just around the compound for minor flight testing and weight distributions. I'll wait and see if she gives me any greif while at 2700 feet. Then I'll come up with a name, by God, till then... I'll wait and see. Tommorrow is the actuall long distance test. Tonight I'll be preparing for my morning journey South to see about finding some of those little red rocks.

Anyways, just thought I would share my design. I'm sure its very basic (compaired to others) but I wanted to keep it simple and this (Planet Nomads) is a really brand new game to me (had it for about 2 weeks), so I'm just a rookie when it comes to the building/mechanical aspect of the game. As I learn what can and can't be done within the games mechanics/systems I will eventually tackle bigger and better projects.
    Last edited by bigstep70; 03-01-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."

Post Thanks / Like
    Complicated design very nice. Issue with blades is weight. Figure each blade is good for 640# lift (700 - 60 fan weight) and go from there. My 1-2-3 fan designs are for getting to the ore fields the easy way. Mountains and water make wheels complicated. Depends on your start. We have pod, no pod + many crash site close by or no pod no crash site with E2 chips to salvage. The last is the worse case. I am playing that right now. Have to go on foot to the ore fields. Large mountains won't work with wheels. I actually went to the north pole on foot in my first game before building any vehical. Had parts to make a stasis pod and biogen when needed. Balance is also critical. You need a slight forward tilt to go max speed. Do that and you got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some nice designs and interesting research stuff

I have been struggling with a few designs recently to make things 'pretty' as well as functional. My biggest issue is stability if you have a 'low wing' design. I could really use a way to have vertical fans act as roll stabilisers.....but they don't.

It would also be nice to have fans that responded to controls based on orientation, rather than pivoting relative to the base. That would allow a lot more design freedom.

Still...I have a half decent flying drill platform, and am working on some cargo haulers

Post Thanks / Like
    FlyerDesign01.jpg
    FlyerDesign02.jpg

This is my version of bio-gen flyer. The goal was to use reasonably small quantity parts possible. It have a hybrid power to supply six blades, which enables it to carry four small containers and have a decent speed and altitude (on my planet I have not see any mountains that I can't fly over so far).
    Max speed is around 72kmh.
    Max altitude is about 90 (I'm not sure how measure it properly, I just placed beacon on a water level).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smerch View Post
    FlyerDesign01.jpg
    FlyerDesign02.jpg

This is my version of bio-gen flyer. The goal was to use reasonably small quantity parts possible. It have a hybrid power to supply six blades, which enables it to carry four small containers and have a decent speed and altitude (on my planet I have not see any mountains that I can't fly over so far).
    Max speed is around 72kmh.
    Max altitude is about 90 (I'm not sure how measure it properly, I just placed beacon on a water level).
    How do you get 6 fans working off the bio gen? Max 5 fans use all the power output of the gen. Five fans and 2 chests is what I can get with 120 altitude.

Post Thanks / Like
    He said it`s hybrid-power so i suppose he combined a bio-gen and some batteries. Batteries are charging when landed and powering the vehicle during flight. nice idea!
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Kwon, you absolutely right. There is a snag though. To make things work blades (or wheels) must be separated from main power grid (or cuted off) with dedicated switchboard. Otherwise batteries won't charge. So on the ground I switch off blades and batteries charging while in air they add required watts.
    BTW tp555, can you try my design and post your altitude results?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok 6 fans running on batts with max chests possible. I'll work on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The batt Gen coming up. Six fans and 4 chests.Beats the all time height record at 200 Whatever they use. Does 72 Kph and uses 1 1/2% of batt per K traveled. Charges up 1% in 75 seconds on the ground Coming to a dealer near you.

https://youtu.be/fT76GNq05sw

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you want something bigger? So far only on screenshots, because I never know what would go wrong after I load last savegame, slowing me down.

It isnt finishet yet, I already made some modifications in the meantime, but I didnt leave this craft hovering inch in the air when saving - the only one way to load a save whith no problems, so I rolled back a little bit again.
    Also I want to figure out a way to transport a few smaller vehicles along the way whith this base, it has enough spare lifting power. This craft had floor from armor cube blocks, but they were unnecessarily for function and they adds a lot of weight. So I made some lightening work and it worked out even better that I thought it would work out - it even look way better than it looked whith armor cubes.

This craft suffered the cant fly up bug too, dunno if it could be fixed somehow, I already have a one way in my mind and even it would not fix the problem, I think it can by-pass it at least, even it would took some work to raise the craft into the air.

Pictures - link on Steam screenshots album: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...5/screenshots/

PS: rescently I used the rest of all my 90x stack of multitool baterries, first time I finished my stack of 90xcells I always make at the start of the game . Not all of them were spent on this, but most of them.
    Last edited by Jimmy; 10-01-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been playing a lot lately, but I would like to add a little snippet on the bug mentioned above: if you save while you're in the cockpit, the bug does not come back when you load, even if the aircraft is attached to the ground.

So, in order to avoid the 'can't build / slippery surfaces' bug when building a big aircraft, the player should either save while the vehicle is hovering (ie not attached to the ground -- thank you Jimmy! , or save while in the cockpit. None of these solves the problem for good but it will at least allow you to avoid it, which is fine by me. And if you experience the bug while building something else than a flying machine, just attach a cockpit on it wherever you can, then enter it before you save.

Post Thanks / Like
    This way too complex for the game engine to deal with. What is needed is a LARGE SIZED fan for large ships like the mobil base wheels concept.Or anti grav engines. You would need a framework for components and outer shell armor types for looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap, that looks impressive!

BTW this still looks like scratching the surface. I, myself, am not really good in building complex things, but I've seen people, like Jimmy do insane things in PN and in other games, so I can only imagine what they will come up if we get more functional blocks. So I think this shouldn't be too complex for the game engine.
    I agree though, that's a lot of blades, and would be better to use some large ones instead. Which we can do hopefully soon. But in terms of complexity that's just the beginning. At least that's what I'd like to believe

Post Thanks / Like
    tp555, I want to ask you how do you manage to get 200 altitude using six-blader? Have you a bigger planet? Because in my current setup having fourth tier jet-pac maximum climbable altitude is 190 and from there I can see stars at day time (sort of end of atmosphere).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I started using 15 dia. for planets and now trying the max . I would have to remove the fav from the 6 fan. It was made in creative mode. Doesn't work well in survival. The 6th engine runs off the batts and landing still uses energy. So constant drain.In creative charge rolls over from zero to 100%. I did test the 6 fan with one chest and got 215 for altitude.It suprised me. Problem with bigger planets lots of oceans.Spend 5 minutes over water to get to land.My finger gets tired of holding the button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I started using 15 dia. for planets and now trying the max . I would have to remove the fav from the 6 fan. It was made in creative mode. Doesn't work well in survival. The 6th engine runs off the batts and landing still uses energy. So constant drain.In creative charge rolls over from zero to 100%. I did test the 6 fan with one chest and got 215 for altitude.It suprised me. Problem with bigger planets lots of oceans.Spend 5 minutes over water to get to land.My finger gets tired of holding the button.
    To have batteries charging in survival you need to separate blades from rest of the power grid. In my flyer I have two switchboards. First one connects batteries and generator, second one connects all blades and first switchboard. So that way I can temporally "cut" the blades from the power simply turning off second switchboard which in return release energy for batteries (they start charging as soon I switch blades off via switchboard).

Post Thanks / Like
    The design works in survival mode. Problem is height is limited by size of planet.At 10 R 80#. For 24R 95# and max R gets 195#, Recharge is 4% a minute and about 1% drain per K while flying. Dropping chests 4>2 does not change height and 1 chest gets 8# higher. Advantage is the 4 chests capacity.

Post Thanks / Like
    The design works in survival mode. Problem is height is limited by size of planet.At 10 R 80#. For 24R 95# and max R gets 195#, Recharge is 4% a minute and about 1% drain per K while flying. Dropping chests 4>2 does not change height and 1 chest gets 8# higher. Advantage is the 4 chests capacity.
    I think it is about scaling. On a small planet you have 190 (maybe 200) thick atmosphere. So in terms of air density dropping vs blade lift capacity the cancellation point will be as high as thicker will be the atmosphere.

Also I note that even slight shift of centre of mass from geometric centre may cause notable reduce in a lift capacity.

Post Thanks / Like
    20180118012720_1.jpg
    BigBoi: large surface area with all round air blades. Slight forward tilt but stable. Have not attempted landing. 1 uranium generator (creative mode), stasis chamber and medium FAD. Space for more

20180118001513_1.jpg
    Heli 2: small craft, 6 air blades, uranium generator on underside, pronounced forward tilt, added 'tail' rotors to no effect. Added rear weight to counterbalance, no impact. Could not land it. Stasis chamber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgraded the 2 fan flyer. Steering is normal and added a 2nd chest for loot.Makes it a lot easier.Need 8 E2 chips to make this which you can get from the pod.

https://youtu.be/QTVR0PTMESc

Post Thanks / Like
    Since now we have large blades, I came up with this:

I call it version 0.1 as theres a lot more room for improvements on it. But it flies, it has at least one of all medium tier utility block (printer, FAD, stasis pod, etc), all connected with conveyors. 4 large container for storage and it can carry a smaller craft on its back, so I can bring my nimble recon with me. And if i can add a few more floating block on the back without changing it significantly, it will float on water.