Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airblade Inventions

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next one: crane using an air blade to lift a mining machine (supported by winch) and rotate the crane between rest position and working position.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1217975863
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I was also thinking of building a crane at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a pole region with very high mountains I added 4 hover pads and occasionally a fifth frontal pad to my model (talked about in my above post 21) which enabled me to get over several (though not all) high passes that were over maximum flying height (est.100-150) by just pulling me over. Spared me some large detours around the long mountain ranges :-)

I also added 4 more containers as I was pretty full so now there are 20 connected containers.

Result: Top speed still is 72 except when starting from above max flying height it shortly goes down to 50 until I descend (it feels as if the airblades would constantly hit an invisible barrier on top of them when flying above max height), it is still stable in all directions, has minimal slower acceleration and a little bit more swinging during acceleration and deceleration but both are negligible differences.

To be able to glide safely on plateaus above flying height more hover pads would be necessary. This design is just able to push the air freighter over passes, but it will get stuck when trying to hover over longer distances in this height due to its weight.

So the next idea would be to add more hover pads but I am worried that the additional weight will reduce max flying height and/or speed. Therefore this further modification is not really necessary as I usually donīt have to fly/drive that high (I was hunting a human wreck on the occasion).

PN: Interesting observation: Exchanged 14 of the tubes with full blocks as these should be lighter according to Menzagitat - result: minimal gain in height (1-2m) but loss of max speed 5kph. Would imply that the physics calculate some air resistance too but I am not a lab tester so cannot prove or reject this hypothesis. Nevertheless when I rebuild this model in the future I will try to use half blocks where possible and see if these enhance or reduce performance.

My "beast" is no beauty - but extremely practical ;-)

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this video, you can see two air bases I made recently - one utility oriented, then I begin to work on "flagship" version, also one small T1 ore mining base and wheeled container for escape pod, 4fun .
    While I was building second air base, the main goal was to have all production buildings on board while I tried to cover it in nice chassis design. When I added lights on "flagship", it made some cool effects and also it look more alive.

The first air base was a little bit "makeshift", it even shoudlnt be base, first I just wanted to build some simple air craft for moving ore that I mined on south back to start location, but this thing came out in the end. Except for its look, it is useful craft - it fly up way faster than the second one - ofc as it doesnt have a lot of armor blocks just for design purpose .

Anyway, enjoy watching this video.

The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like your designs!
    You did a good job playing around with those lights :-)
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its not really an invention, but I just found out that you can flip airblade builds upside down, and they still would work perfectly fine. The 3rd persion camera view doesn't like it much though, especially when descending, but I was able to fly around perfectly fine in my flier aligned like this:

But it was quite a challenge flip it back to normal actually
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    i have been playing on a bigger planet, and decided I needed a flying mining ship to help establish colonies and waypoints....so I built this:

Fly....land...mine. All in one vehicle. When I find the materials I want, I can just drop on them with the onboatrd mining unit, and park up while the ship collects a load of ore for me. Easy.

This was the earlier flight trial chassis before I realised I had better have an onboard refinery to make more fuel if I had to....so I had less chance of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Might see if I can work a 3D printer into the design, but I think it might increase the weight, need more lifteing units, and that way reduce the range. So I figure it will be easier to build what I need later or just carry enough components to build some in the 6 cargo containers.

Post Thanks / Like
    flakmagnet, i like the design!

To decide wether you should add a 3D printer or not i would think about the storage.
    Printed parts use much less storage than ore. So if you run low on storage during a trip, adding a 3D-Printer would help to extend the range of your vessel. If you never had any problems with storage space, adding a 3D-Printer wouldn`t be urgent.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    I am already working on a MkII ..... which I hope to be able to carry 2 drill heads. This would have a pair of 3D printers and a refinery. It would need a slightly wider spread between the 'wings' and a few more lifters, but it should be viable. I am being slowed down in construction by a lack of silver.... it's 2K to the biome where I can find silver boulders, but I have not found an ore site I can mine for silver. Cobalt...Aluminium...loads...silver...not.

For this design, 3d printers have not been an issue so far. I just load enough parts to build a drill and a couple of power plants along with a power coupler. The drill is a useful prospecting tool, and gathers resource, but it isn't making the grade as a colony seeder or mobile base builder. I need to build BIGGER.

First, though, I have to sort the caterpillar crawler. I put the 3d printer and refinery on the back of the forward segment, and it's messed the handling. It unloads the front wheels, and makes steering at speed impossible. Hilariously so! I will relocate the weight to the back of the cars and put some cargo containers under the nose to ballast the steering wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big brother is up and running...and wqorks very well indeed.

Packing 2 3D Printers, a refinery and a twin drill array to the front, she has all she needs to set up a colony or establish permanent mining locations if the haul is a good one. The drills pull at least trace elements from the ground which are enough to get things going. She tops out at around 30 kph, which is OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool design Flakmagnet,

I have been considering adding mining machine landing pads onto my airship, are you getting good % of resources when landed? and do they gather any resources when flying?

Post Thanks / Like
    They don't gather anything while flying...and what you get when landed depends on where you land. On land with no proper ore...you get random 1% results for trace elements...but you get better results with actual ore sites same as you get with a fixed mining drill. A nice surprise was random trace Xaenite turning up in the drills. It's already sorted my silver shortage and found me a good mine site for silver.

I have been using it to 'scout' and when I find a good ore site....I build a proper mining base. The biggest issue I have is the amount of time it takes to gather ore in any quantity. With a good site with minerals I want...it's better to establish a base and then use a faster cargo flyer to fetch the stuff.

It's doing what I need it to do very nicely so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Why won’t this fly?
    I got 2-generators, cockpit, 3d-printer, around 30 containers and 66 blades.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231809422

Is it too heavy and needs more blades, or are stacked blades weaker?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible stacked blades get ignored in terms of lift. Aerodynamically...that would be correct.
    Also worth checking your power supply is up to the job.
    I am also not sure how containers get judged in terms of weight. Whether they have a fixed weight, or if they have a nominal weight and the contents are measured as they are added.

Post Thanks / Like
    A small container is 200 whatever the measurement unit is, as the game does not specify that. Let's assume MU is Kg.
    It seems the weight is not dynamic, so it is 200 Kg, no matter if it is full or empty.

That being said, 30 small containers is 6000 Kg. The generators are 2.7K, of which you have two. Plus the cockpit and other structural parts. That would add up to a sh*tload of airblades to get the thing moving Too bad we don't know the lifting capability of one airblade.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you are too high in the mountains and you are above the maximum flight height.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as load goes, I am lifting my big bird with 34 airblades. 2 printers, 2 reactors, 2 mining drills, 6 cargo containers and a refinery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a new vehicle; it worked at 14 blades and 40 containers, but at 16 blades and 42 containers it hardly moved. I never looked at their weight before, now.
    They are 200 each, so 40 is 8,000!!!!!
    I’m guessing 12k could be the weight limit.

Time to redesign!

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming back to smaller vehicles:

I was able to surpass 80 km/h with this little beauty:

(disabeling stabilization on the middle blades and using both, space and W to accelerate did the trick.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the contrary, I'm now building my biggest air base - inspired by Stargate SG-1 spaceship class "Daedalus".
    I am curious how it will behave when it's filled whith all machinery, even while I'm trying to make it's chasis very light, while preserving some armor blocks for design purpose.
    I have plan to also add few autominers to the bottom, to allow me to mine along the way and also to serve as part of landing gear .

I am still not sure about that 6 window blocks, as they are heavy and big, so they protrude from the top, as for now we have no separate block for window - only made from glass and frame around it - and I would very much appreciated this block in a lot of desings.

Here is some screenshots from construction as preview ;) :

Full size Screenshot 1
    pn1.jpg
    Full size Screenshot 2
    pn2.jpg
    Full size Screenshot 3
    pn3.jpg

Soon, I finish my PN Daedalus and post here a video of Daedalus in action ;)
    Last edited by Jimmy; 23-12-2017 at 12:22 AM.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    can't wait to see if that baby will fly

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far, it doesnt look good. As Daedalus was completed for +- 70%, the game engine cant handle that big build anymore I guess.
    Problems started after loading savegame, then I cannot place any new blocks to it and it seems like the blocks were somehow shifted in place - when I pointed at the block, it wasnt there physically, just visually, at least I was able to deconstruct block that hold this ship. But this I mannaged to fix by building hover jack, relasing it from the lock in the ground and then again lock it by short wall going into the ground. True is, when that monstrosity was held in air by hover jack, my performace went to hell, +- 1 fps and verry laggy. It was worse every time I loaded savegame as I added more and more stuff.

Then, the ship "finaly" bugged itself for good. Best description would be that the ship turned into a hologram, so you cant deconstruct any block for example. I was able to fly throught all blocks like there was empty space. In the end, when I left the area and after a while I arrived back, the ship was gone for good, yet in build vision, power lines were still at the same place like before

Few screenshots from "ghosted" ship and on last screen, the ship is gone and remain only bugged powerline graphic.
    https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/...5/screenshots/
    Last edited by Jimmy; 24-12-2017 at 05:25 AM.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been tinkering around with building a hovering air base. Idea is to keep this thing in the air indefinitely and use the landing pad on top to hop a smaller vehicle to the surface.

Not sure of the feasibility though, sometimes after returning from a save the link between my engine switches and main switch disappears. Nothing like plummeting to your death in the first seconds of game play.

https://imgur.com/a/GtPPu

Post Thanks / Like
    Tri fan flyer smallest and easy to build. If you can salvage 12 electv2 chips you can build this.The plate and frame v2 parts easier to get. Does 44.4 MPH which is 71 KPH. Make a run for cobalt,aluminum and silver and you can build a large flyer. Uses 7 batteries.

https://youtu.be/MDgi8JIPiR4
    Last edited by tp555; 29-12-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual fan flyer. In my last game I had 12 elect2 chips.You need 16 for a 4 fan design. Twelve chips will work for 3 fan ship. This game I got 10 elect2 chips. The dual flyer needs 8. You get 8 chips if you scrap the pod. Steering is x vs y but it works. Goes 44 MPH forward and 31 MPH in reverse. Going about 3-4 k distance uses 15% of batt power. Good enough to hit those metal fields. My land wheels work fine but water and mountains make things complicated.

https://youtu.be/aKPcxTgaKgI

This works really well. Steering is done by pushing against a tree to get the direction you want then go for it.
    Last edited by tp555; 27-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.