Thread: Option to pool all connected storage

Post Thanks / Like

Option to pool all connected storage

I'm hoping we'll have more sorting and re-stacking capabilities in our storage at some point down the line, but I had one idea that occurred to me as I was working on one of my vehicles last night: let us pool all of our storage units that are connected on the same grid into one big storage pool.

The idea is simple, really. Say you have a vehicle that you've built with 12 small containers strategically located around the vehicle body, all interconnected. The current view method when you open up inventory in a series of small containers like that is very disjointed, broken up, and not really in any particular order (depending on which storage container you happen to access through). If you had a toggle on the inventory screen that let you view all connected inventory in a single pooled view that looks more like the large container, it might be easier to dig through and find what you are looking for.

With introduction of more advanced sorting and stacking options, this would be even more effective. But it would also help basic sorting methods without advanced features. For example, you've got partial stacks of uranium ore in 4 different containers, but want to stack them together to minimize inventory slots being used. If you have the pooled view, you can (theoretically) find and drag them together quicker. Or, you open up pooled view and dump a fresh partial stack of uranium into your storage, and it would automatically stack with the first partial uranium stack it finds, then the remainder to the second or third, etc.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second this. I get slightly annoyed when I select a different container and it starts with a different set of items.

A quality of life change, but a nice one nonetheless.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Idea: Always sort all connectet containers equally. Perhaps per Name so you can organize them by naming?
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep storage to a minimum and really don’t see a big need for sorting and re-stacking.
    I connect mining machines straight to printers, and the printers become my part storage.

I have a 50%/50% uranium/titanium mining machines that connected straight to a refinery, and a uranium generator connected straight to the refinery.
    So now my mining machines stores stack of titanium, and the refinery stores stacks of uranium rods and keeps the generator fueled.

What I do wish they would add is “3D printers with storage”, storage that can only feed stuff to the printer.
    I have a 3d printer that I want to just make stacks of a part "A" that requires iron, carbon, and biomass.
    I connect one port to a mine to get iron and carbon, and if a connect storage to the other port to fill with biomass.
    It starts filling up with iron and carbon, that I don’t want in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    router or logistic pipes that only allow certain items to go certain places

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m thinking a one way only conveyor section or output only storage container would do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, more advanced filtering methods will definitely be quality of life improvements. There's been a few discussions I've seen both here in suggestions, and on the Steam forum, about filtering systems (I personally like the 1 way conveyor ideas and suggestions to assign filters to specific storage containers that will define what will and will not be allowed to be stored in them).

This suggestion was intended to be more of a modification or additional display of the existing inventory screen, rather than new systems or blocks that needed to be incorporated (thinking small and easy for convenience before bigger changes that might come with time). It's really not so much an issue with my later bases and manufacturing as it is with early starter bases and vehicles/rovers that utilize lots of smaller storage either out of necessity or for size/space constraints. I tend to make long range scout/hauler vehicles with interleaved small storage boxes all around the body and frame to make 1 big storage area, and use them to transfer ores or finished materials between mining outposts and my primary base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally the storage management will eventually evolve into something similar to how some mods for Minecraft handle it, the interface would just have a singe icon for each resource type and by Ctrl+RMB we can get full 90 unit stacks moved from it to our inventory.

The lag in accessing the storage might also become much less if thanks to the unified storage interface, the game would stop tracking where each 1-90 unit stack is located and all connected containers would just increase the size of their combined storage space. Removing containers from that system should either require freeing enough space first or calculating how much space was lost and then divide the loss equally for each resource type.

Of course there is also the possibility that a removed container can split the other containers into two or more separate unified containers, so if we want to later to sort resources between them we would also need some kind of new system that allows linking the unified containers together without fusing them together.

Also if the weight of the resources will ever be introduced to the game, I would rather have the weight be automatically divided equally between all connected containers than handle the balancing manually. It would probably still break the balancing on all my current hovercraft designs, but I at least then my vehicles would only ever start to tilt to front or back depending where most of the containers are located and how full they are instead of also affecting the left-right axis just because I didn't manually keep the containers on each side equally full.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my station fully connected. from one end to the other, and so far I have had no problems. All items are in the large storage containers

Post Thanks / Like
    Completely agree with Casual Victim and Chicago Bob !!!!!