Thread: Custom Planets - first thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Custom Planets - first thoughts

Not in the Magrathean mode .... so no solid gold planet, but it is fun to see what CAN be created.

I did the obvious thing, and tried ramping hte sliders all the way one way or another in creative worlds so I could see what I could build. It's quite easy to make a world virtually unplayable...especially if you ramp the hill slider up into double figures leaving slopes so rough and steep you can't drive up them. That said though...I got some really spectacular looking worlds when I did that and lifted the water table to max ending up with huge seas and lakes with steep sloped islands.

Flatter worlds are far easier to explore, but I am thinking for now that I will keep the planet biomes to stockish sizes as any survival world is going to need a trek into the tundra to find cobalt before you can really get things going, and while I got some really sweet looking terrain...getting to the Tundra is something that needs to be considered

All in all though....I was expectiong to be underwhelmed by this, but it actually adds far more to the game than I expected and is opening up some interesting challenges.

EDIT:

Oh and I forgot...Space Bees are a PITA if you have aggressive animals on. They attack you by flying through solid rock
    Last edited by Flakmagnet1701; 10-11-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom planet second thoughts.....

Hmm...balancing is an issue.

1) In order to make flotation bases and something to drive them ..or indeed to make hover pads...you need cobalt or aluminium or both. That assumes you can get to a tundra biome...which is the only place I have found these minerals

2) You now drown in your cockpit while travelling along the sea floor on a wheeled vehicle.

3) Speed under water in a wheeled vehicle is a lot less than before, meaning even short underwatre drives take a while

Add all three of these together, and you end up with an unplayable survival game. Set water levels to high, and you get a map that really plays well with boats and hovercraft. BUT you can't ever get to the stage where you can BUILD a hovercraft or a flotation base. You can't drive to the places where the minerals you need are without death getting in the way if you drive...meaning the only way you CAN travel is to walk.

It may be less of a chore when you know which way to travel to get to a biome with cobalt and aluminium ... butwith the basic jetpack and short range jumps...you have a real issue

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might be better as a planet you land on at some point rather than a starting planet, most places are possible to survive in survival games as long as you can get past the "I have literally nothing" stage of the game. Also once O2 tanks are working properly it should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the end, I had to resolve the issue the hard way ..... with a lot of swimming and short jetpack jumps. Took a fair while to get far enough to find the riht sort of biome for the minerals I needed.

It has crystallised my thoughts though, with regard to what is needed here.

On land, you can build a very simple rover with just a few battery packs to power a light 4 wheel buggy. When it comes to water travel, you have no such option. You can power hoer pads with batteries ( needs a few ) but you can't build hoverpads or flotation bases without finding minerals that do not occur in the temperate zones you spawn into.

What we need to have is a downgraded version of the flotation platform. Just a flotation bag. Only able to hold a small amount of weight....but enough so that 5 or 6 will hold up a cockpit. Then we need an outboard motor type block. Low powered and slow if you put any load on it .... but enough to build a micro scout boat. Something to bridge that gap if you need to cross a lot of water now you can't drive on the seabed

Other than that...onceI got past the initial chokepoint, a largely water world with islands scattered and occasional landmasses is actually a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Floating blocks should be able to build with low-level material.
    Think about it: make a 3D printed barrel and you have a floating block.... or even easier: throw wood into water --> floating :-)
    There is (in my opinion) no need for high tech material when it comes to simple floating.
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    Alexander the Great's army crossed the Oxus river with rafts made with inflated goatskins and leather tents.

That's how high tech flotation is. We should be able to make simple flotation bags with material (1) and a bit of iron to form a frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts;
    -200 flatness is the only one I like; the worlds still have hills and mountains, they don't have those troublesome spikes.

20k radius is good but biomes seem a little too large, but I like how biomes fade/blind together. I have decided to go with 15k and seem to be just right.
    -2 water levels got me ocean front landing sights multiple times. Thumps-up

I love day/night length; I’m setting it at 60 with x1 night speed.
    With those settings stars, and shadows move at a nice slow place, and when a play though a cycle I know it has been a RL half hour. (less if a slept) and I enjoy working on my base during a night, lighting up plants, buildings and stuff.

I think norm gathering should be fine for anyone, I think a setting for number of ore veins would be better.

Dried fruit and meat is giving good hunger stats, I’m playing gathering Normal and not powering my status chamber with no problem.

I’m not sure what Animal nest density does? I don’t see more nests at high density, just less fire-fly plants. I guess there could be more animals per nest?
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 13-11-2017 at 03:11 PM.