Thread: Ahoy me Hearties!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahoy me Hearties!

Tis a sailors life for me ....

I have decided to forego driving around, and set sail foir a round the world voyage, going east west. It's also quite a handy mobile base.....

I do have a very real issue with mooring it though, as it has the tendancy all ships seem to have of drifting slowly away when you leave it. My smaller ships on my regular routes have harbours they can go into whcih prevent this...but I have yet to build a port big enough to handle a proper ship.

I have, however, found it is fine using a winch and anchor point, as full pull on this thing doesn;t move it that fast.I also m,ake sure that the anchor winch is on a level with the anchor point too. Has worked with the few tests done so far.

She sails with good speed, but turns like..er...a big ship. There are around 20 hover pads under the ship with left rigt pushing at the bow and stern. It's all hidden underneath, so it still looks ship like.

Now to go explore!

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the most interesting concepts around here, I have to say. I like it and may be copying you shortly.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    I will put up some more pics once I complete the superstructure on the rear deck.

The ship has 3 reactors in the rear engine room and a single bow one to power the bow thrusters as the things are too far away. There is an underdeck conveyor system too, so the 3 large containers on the foredeck are linked to the bank of 3d printers and refinery in the engine room.

Have fun with the shipbuilding

p.s. When you build....build it anchored to solid. You will see in the pics the thing is attached to the jetty by a foundation block that's just a frame. Whatever you do...don't cut it loose until you have built the basic hull and installed a means to drive it. They have an annoying habit of drifting...and you have to be able to bring them back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really cool!
    Are you using hoverpads or wheels?

I will put up some more pics once I complete the superstructure on the rear deck.
    Yaaay, more pics!!
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    @Kwon ... I went for hoverpads. Wheels just don't feel right.

I have the hoverpads in rows under the hull. Makes it go fast enough, and with everything tucked away, it looks neat enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing build! I was just thinking, even though we don't have powered rotors at the moment... With the control panel system we'll be getting shortly, if we could get the winch cabling system to be a little more solid, you could totally make a crane system to load and offload a smaller exploration vehicle. I was playing with something similar in a giant crawler base I was working on, but reliably getting things lifted and set down when you have to operate each winch manually made it essentially impossible... Best I could do was kind of hold something suspended in the air for a bit, but any jostling more than a tiny amount tended to "break" the winch lines.

Alternatively, maybe deployable ramps that you can tuck back up on the deck. Man, now that's got me thinking about a big transport rig, after seeing your build...

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried making an assault ship style front ramp raissed and lowered by a winch, but my short boat just invented perpetual motion, as the winch just moved the ship around, and it all got very strange!

Might work with a bigger ship.

I left the centre hull freeboard low so I can build a dockside ramp to offload/load a rover for exploration.

Now to get stuck into building the superstructure on the rear quarter deck

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wishing my "hover boost" suggestion was a thing now, where you could pop the space bar or something like that to get a short burst of increased hover lift... Would let you hop a little craft right up on deck and park.

But, we'll soon have flyers, and that open front deck looks like a prime parking spot for a little quad rotor exploration vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...had some 'bugs' with this thing. The game engine is not pleased with my construction

I had a couple of unexaplined deaths placing blocks building the superstructure, and after the second one...my ship vanished. I repsawned, my 'respawn bag' was hovering in mid air above the sea, and my ship was nowhere to be seen.

I found it a short way away...but something was 'not right' ..... can you guess the issue......

Now I was never a fan of the Poseidon Adventure .......and it;s no better in Planet Nomads!

Still...on the plus side....you can see what it looks like underneath

Re-loaded my game from an earlier save, and she is all good again. Not sure what happened here, but I am 100% sure the floating bases are not quite sorted yet.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh, that would be a fun wreck to find underwater and have to explore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great ship, I love how you got rounded looks on the back section. Excellent!

I’m guessing we need to worry about making ships top heavy and in a few weeks airships also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soon as we get airships.....I'm building a Zeppelin!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be great if we got blip blocks, that would made from Aluminum plates and come in a range of shapes and sizes so we can build unique airships.

If we get blip blocks I’m building a steampunk airship!

Post Thanks / Like
    Something came to my mind right now:

Your ship could use solar panels (hopefully in the nov. update) as sails! That could create some nice looks :-)
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Flakmagnet,

I like you design, Just finished building one of my own. I placed my conveyors over the top of the storage containers (28). They kind of look like the transfer pipes on a tanker. All conveyors terminate at a small containers under the bridge. I can transfer items from a central location.

Originally I build the cockpit into the front of the bridge, but removed it and placed it at the top of the stack. (I hate not being able to look around)

Now to build a port facility and dredge my harbor area. Have several mine sites near waterways so I'm going to build several ports.

Let me know if you want to see any other detail up close.

Cargo Ship.jpg

Regards,
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now, isn't this just wonderful.

Listing.jpg

Just continued from earlier today now that I have some of the pier built and this is what I end up with.....
    Let me start off by saying that I have a hoverjack below my cargo ship because at the miniscule drift speed, it is enough to snap a winch cable anchoring it to the pier. I had cross-over bow and stern lines nearly out to the maximum winch connect distance.

So, to compensate, I placed a hoverjack on the bottom about 2 to 3 meters below the hull foundation. I used that to hold the ship from drifting. The jack was operational when I left the game.

I have the pads set to hover to provide extra bouyancy, as this ship is pretty heavy.

I had my back to the ship so I did not see what happened, might have 'bounced off the bottom, hoverjack or something. I don't know. Gonna try a couple of reloads and see if I can save it. Maybe winch it sideways but it might be too heavy.

Very disappointing

Well she is now gone over on her side past 90 degrees. What is strange is every time I reload the save, the ship starts out about 5 meters above the surface and drops, hits bottom. Each time is autosaves and I reload, the ship moves about 20 meters east. It is almost past the end of the pier now

gone over.jpg

Well, I managed to get her back over using a tall tower with a winch on it then another winch and tower off the bow while applying foward thrust got her off the pier. I backed her into her slip and turned on the hover jack.

Really weird the way it just spawns and drops into the water that way.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 11-11-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: More Info

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm keeping my ships in check using a harbour wall. You sail in, then turn so it can't drift out again. Needs quite a large harbour for a big ship...but what else can you use all that iron for!

Mind you...I kept my ship at the level where it can float with the hoverpads off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided, now I am playing a 'Waterworld' map, I was going to need another ship.

It did, of course, have to be bigger than the last one.

So, I present...the FMS ReallyQuiteLarge

The front section houses the med bay and food production. The leaves a large flat area on the rear of the ship for other vehicles and cargo to be loaded on.

In order to faciolitate amphibious operation, and to allow loading and unloading, I have equipped her with a stern ramp. This drops low enough to drive a hover craft straight off the water onto the deck, or to drive a vehicle on if you moor stern on to the shore. I could, also, of course, operate helicopters from her too if they should happen to be a thing after the 0.8 release ;)

She carries 8 large containers, all built into the deck to keep the weight below the waterline. She also has 5 medium printers built into the deck too. It's all piped up and linked with several access points. All the reactors are linked up too.

Now...I did have a few issues.

Firstly...when I first tried to cut her loose from the dock..she went straight to the bottom like a stone!
    Secondly....what flotation I did have relied on the hover pads remaining powered up. Switch off a reactor....and she was more submarine than ship.

This was solved by building a second layer of flotation bags all around the front of the hull under water. This gave me enough flotation to run the hoverpads 'grounded' and keep her head above water. Making the central spine of the ship containers is great for the centre of gravity...but I sacrificed too much in terms of flotation.

It has, however, inspired me to push the limits even further, with a hull designed this way from the start. The hoverpads could then all be internal, and the cargo all carried really low in the water, while maximising the amount of bouyancy I have so I can make the ship design more elaborate.

Wonder what the size limit is on a single vehicle in this game engine.........