Thread: The Block for Block Issue, a case for Micro Blocking!

Post Thanks / Like

The Block for Block Issue, a case for Micro Blocking!

So I'm going to start by saying I've probably played with the editor enough to know a few things that annoy me but the biggest one is this issue easily, this is the case for micro blocking to be implemented. So first I didn't think this was an issue until I started to construct more complex ideas I had within the editor and on a grand scale I didn't mind big blocks, it saved a lot of time with placement.

However as I started to think up more complex ideas I realized that the blocks in there current size where just shit for some tasks, if I wanted to build a floating desk space or mock up shower areas for onboard a ship that I simply didn't have the micro control for detail that I wanted.

Sure this could be solved by having the artists make them as objects (like turrets, cockpits, etc) but that's a waste of development time and sometimes you want that simplistic look. The image above is the perfect example of a "wtf" situation where an object that should sit on-top of another object will instead sit above it because of the block space, so why can't we shrink those blocks?

So currently we have 1 block, counting as 1 block right? Why can't we make it so those big blocks are just a bunch of smaller blocks (4x4 blocks within that 1 current block) placed together? This would give us vastly more building control for our creations, heck it would make building vehicles even more amazing.

So in the end instead of the plate block (as shown above) taking up 3 empty areas of space equivalent to itself, it would instead only take up the space it is within, giving us the ability to build or put something directly on-top of it.

Just something I thought I would bring up, I don't know how much this would change the performance in the back-end calculations (not to mention performance) but damn if it wouldn't make building loads better.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starmade has a weak method of accommodating this, and that is slab blocks. So if you want the deck plate as PN has it, you can use a 1/4 slab. Looks about the same, takes the same block area. But I think their physics treats it as a full block, maybe. If you want the effect of two 1/4 slabs stacked, then you use a 1/2 slab. And there's a 3/4 slab. So you can make a shallow stair-step effect that gives "higher resolution" than using full blocks. But it isn't "micro blocks" so it is still limiting. Plus, they have no slope effects that work with the slab blocks, which would make them really nice. They also don't have the the 1x2 block slopes, so that is nice in PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alas, that's how voxel graphics work in this case, you don't need to fill the whole 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 block with material, but the whole space is taken by the block, as blocks need to go in a grid, which sets the minimum distance between them (currently the grid is 0.5 m apart).

The smaller the grid (and especially size of blocks) the more demanding it becomes on the performance, because every block is a piece of info that needs to be taken into account when computing destruction, physics, etc. And if I tell you we'll be providing bigger blocks to be able to make big thanks with a smaller number of blocks, you can imagine that 0.5 is as small as we can reasonably get.

Thus the limits are there, and will be there in the final game as well, unless a few years later, the PC machines will be able to handle more finer detail (and ultimately a larger number of blocks in general).

The second most sensible solution is to create them as blocks as you mention, the first one being to get creatively around these limitations, if you can.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Corellian YT-1300 stock freighter work in progress I am 'working' on in StarMade using slab blocks extensively: