Thread: Feedback: Hoverpads setup

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I broke your concept.

hover-direction.jpg

The 4 side pads are set to "drive", the 4 front/rear pads are set to steer. It works, it turns, but it's takes some time to set it up correctly.

I guess pads are not meant to be attached to the front and rear? There's room for improvement
    100% linux gaming

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I'm experimenting with using front/back hover pads for just the hovering, and getting mixed results.

Also, noticed the power requirements - 200(units) each. Makes it difficult to add more than 10 on a vehicle, without adding a second uranium generator (yikes!), which increases the weight, which makes you add more pads...

I bet we're going to see some very strange vehicles out there.

Balentius

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly i think that the idea behind hovering vehicles is that they are small and light. Powered with batteries instead of nuclear power.
    I think they will become much more useful in November when they add the new energy-system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup ... power requirements are pretty scary for the hover pads, but then.....they should be!

I threw together a quick conversion on my explorer buggy and found that with 4 pads and 2 battery packs....you don;t fly. Then I realised I needed some more resources....and then realised I had just ruined my buggy.

So, another go tonight.

I expect to have to double up the battery packs and have 2 per pad which is when I will find out about steering.

I definitely thought of the hovercraft as a rapid transport concept. Fast over flat ground...rubbish on slopes.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wonder about hoverblades being used to rotate object.

Because I was in the middle of other construction that I wanted to finish first, I dont test hoverblades mutch yet. So far I build only one simple hovercraft which worked fine but while I wanted to build rotating platform, I had difficulties to figure out what are the rules for hoverblade to work - rotate my object by pushing sideway(like in last screen in patch notes).

Logically, in real word hoverblade will push air - so generate thrust - even while it hasnt avaible surface to bouce generated air flow from, ofcource it would loose a lot of its effectivity since hoverblades are designed to work against surface, but it would work. So I placed rotor on the ground oriented for horizontall rotation, build 5x5 blocks square and put hoverblade on side - after I connedted it to power and set to hover - nothing happend, so I thought it may need something in the way of air flow to work - after all it is just game and even in patch notes they had armor around hoverblades, so it was designed to be above object I guessed, successfully making harder to desing your construction btw until you could power rotor block for desired rotatin. So I build few blocks to its way, they also need to be on different grids I guess because it wasnt working until I build hinge to separate grids, and then it finally started to rotate. Then I wanted to upgrade my rotating platform but I just wasnt able to make it work again using the same method like before.
    Because I wanted to finish my other construction first, I left it be while thinking I will try to figure it out later and I did not get time to try solve it yet. Now I am at work so I thought I could save myself some time when I play PN again and want to rotate some stuff.
    Soo, do someone already figured out a way how to effective rotate your construction?
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I just wonder about hoverblades being used to rotate object.
    There is a bug when you build hoverpads on an existing grid (but mostly noticed when building hovercraft over a jack that's connected to an existing grid) - might or might not be related to your trouble, but just so you know. Save/load also helps. It will be fixed on Thursday.

Generally speaking the hover-pads need something underneath them to move (not just air but a solid material).

@Caleon Your use is perfectly fine, although surprising!
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    There is a bug when you build hoverpads on an existing grid (but mostly noticed when building hovercraft over a jack that's connected to an existing grid) - might or might not be related to your trouble, but just so you know. Save/load also helps. It will be fixed on Thursday.

Generally speaking the hover-pads need something underneath them to move (not just air but a solid material).

@Caleon Your use is perfectly fine, although surprising!
    I didn't find @Caleon's configuration surprising at all. Having hover pads on the front and back was actually one of the first configurations I tried as well. They tend to help attack a slope when approaching, vs potentially ramming your frame into the slope and getting slowed down. It was one of the main reasons I put in a thread with suggestion to be able to rotate the pad within its frame once placed, so you can designate what it considers to be front/back and left/right. Unless, of course, the pads were changed to just inherit the directional information from something like a placed cockpit or something similar to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Work in progress

This will climb just about anything, but slowly, and maintains about 20 kps on water and 25 kps on flat land.

HoverCraft.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My first hover-craft - not yet weighted properly and awful design - climbing my house mountain successfully with some patience of mine. Goes 35 on plains and steers more like a car. All pads steering, the two sets on the back set to opposit.

My second hover-craft designed for hilly terrain. Passes easily over nearly every bump or ridge, goes 27 on plains. Steering needs getting familiar with, moves more like a small plane but also can turn on the spot, can be handled in tree slaloms once getting accustomed. On this model I use different settings of steering and heights in different terrain. Picture does not show - mid pads are hinged wih the idea to pick up contact with side structures. Last picture shows the inclination of the hill it finally would not go up any further.

I had never assumed a hover-craft could manage even that far!
    Both designs just testing and not yet the quality I want.I am trying a combination of the two concepts next, perhaps trying also to find a solution to steer with front and rear pads too and make them contribute to strength and velocity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oh016; 11-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a reconfiguration of the hoverpads, you gotta love these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really good performance and very speedy! Thumbs up!