Thread: Ore Vein Depletion?

Post Thanks / Like

Ore Vein Depletion?

I am asking because I built an auto miner in the desert to mine xaenite and store in a large container.
    When I left the miner showed 100% chance xaenite and nothing else.
    I returned a couple days later IRL and the container was about 1/4 full including some more common minerals.
    I checked the autominer and it showed a 40% chance xaenite and 60% chance dirt.
    I have about a dozen other miners running and the ore percentages have not changed.
    What gives..

Does vein depletion happen / Is it supposed to happen ?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far I have not noticed depletion when using the autominer but I didn't have one running for several days meatspace time. It would make sense though, because autominer looks like it's giving unlimited resources.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this issue once, and thought it was odd. I had 2 auto-miners set up side by side on the same vein of gold and uranium, on a conveyor run to some static storage nearby. Both were at max mining output (50% of each) and chugging away. The next time I checked them, one was at a much lower mining efficiency.

It seemed to be a position thing, like when I left the area and came back (or maybe after a reload) the miner had somehow shifted slightly and was not quite in the sweet spot. Re-positioning the miner, got it back up to high production, and it didn't shift again on me. The only time that has ever happened, but I wonder if it could be what you experienced?

Post Thanks / Like
    It gets weird, I just returned there this morning. removed the ores from the large container, iron, carbon, silicon, gold, uranium, titanium, silver, aluminum, cobalt, and xaenite stacks in the container. ( all generated from 40% xaenite 60% dirt ratio). Dats some good dirt...

The two bio generators were out of fuel and I figured as long as the mine is producing uranium, I would build a UG and refinery so it will self power.
    Deconstructed the bio gens that were connected via "T" to the storage container and replaced it with a UG, Threw in a couple of rods and looked at the auto miner and it is back to 100% xaenite.

I never moved the auto miner either time.

Went prospecting about 10m away and found another xaenite deposit. dropped another miner and it too showed 100% xaenite.

I either I missed my calling as a prospector, or the possibly ore percentages might not be calculating correctly.

I'll come back in a day or so and see if anything has changed.

Regards.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hm, I think, that veins can be depletioned, because My first autominer was placed in start location crater. First time extraction of carbon and iron was ~40 - 50%, after some time it stay 1%, and also, "iron" texture around autominer replaced on the rock and dirt.
    If I right - this is awesome feature, because I deslike "unlimited resources" without physical digging. It's nice compromise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to bring this up again...
    I still think, veins should be depleted.
    If you are in the right biome, finding a vein is no big deal...
    I would love to see an autominer actually removing parts of the surface until there are no more resources left.

It would make sense if the autominer is much more effective than the multitool but it`s not quite realistic to have a magic machine that generates ore out of thin air.

I hope the autominer will be replaced in the future. I would love some sort of mining drill attachable on vehicles, giving much more resources than the multitool, but also removing the terrain during the mining process.

cheers
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;