Thread: Some feedback after several hours into the game

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Some feedback after several hours into the game

Hello CB-Members, hello other Nomads,

after some time into the game, I wanted to share some of my thoughts.

First, I want to say THANK YOU for this game! This looks like it could become the game I always wanted to play. The game is very interesting, even in the early stage of development right now. The graphics look much better than any other game of this genre I have played.
    I really hope, the developers don`t get tired of bad reviews and that they always remember, that the majority of players really like the game and upvoted it.
    I also really like the fact that there are weekly updates. You show everyone that you work hard to improve the game.
    But I don`t want to just glorify your game, there are also some aspects that bothered me.

First of all, there are the really big aspects: Missing space travel, other planets, maybe some hostile spaceships / pirates … But I`m sure these things will come to the game by time (the sooner the better :-) ) and won`t talk about them too much since I do know that these just need a lot of time and are not realizable in few weeks.

There are some points that are quite more relevant by now (in my opinion):

Driving a vehicle is fun – despite of some aspects. When driving in third person, I always see the “Press E to open” HUD-Element because I attached a box on top of my vehicle. When I come near water or a bush with fruits, I can see “Press E to gather” and so on. Please deactivate this HUD-Elements when sitting inside a cockpit. Pressing the button has no effect anyways. Or even better: Give us a simple option to disable this HUD-Element (and/or other elements) in the menu. After several hours into the game, I don`t need the hint that I can open a generator with “E”. I do know that already :-) In my opinion: Less equals better when it comes to HUD-Hints.
    Talking about HUD. What about an information about outside temperature, radiation (poisoned rain) etc. (eventually coming with higher armor tiers)? Would really like that :-)
    Also, driving underwater should be redone. At least for wheeled vehicles. By now, driving them under water has no negative effect. I hope, this will change soon, especially with the new hover engines made for underwater movement.
    Vehicles bring me to another small aspect. Would it be possible to add more than one autosave-slot? By now, when you are unlucky, the game saves right after a crash or something so that you can`t load an autosave-data from before the crash. Or you have a problem when your vehicle disappears and you notice that right after an autosafe. No going back then. When there would be for example three spots for autosaving (with autosave always overwriting the oldest one), you would have the possibility to go back further in time and avoid the described problem. (I hope, you understand what I want to say…)
    I do know that there is an option to save manually…. But I always forget that :-)

Crashsites etc.: The implementation of crashsites and a “story” is great and brings a lot of immersion. But maybe, in the future, there could be some more interesting sites? For example, bigger crashsites (designed by the community?) with more interesting loot?

I also would love to see more different typed of food. Different plants, different fruitages, different herbs and different recepies to craft food with different pors and cons. This may seem like a strange request but think about it. When crashlanding on a planet, building yourself a home, automating most of your production… and eating those capsules for days, would`t you love to cook some nice dinner?
    Also, furniture! When I build myself a giant home, I would also build some tables, chairs, … Or get some seeds of those awesome looking glowing plants, put them in a pot and add them to my sleeping room. Give us some options to say “Hey, THIS is MY room, I made myself comfortable here.

Automation: The conveyor system works good, at least when it comes to the basics. But I would really like to have some “sorting elements”. So that I can load everything into one box and have my logistic-system sort the items and place them in the right boxes.
    Also, after a mining trip, transferring all the ore from your car to your base is a pain in the ***. Ply give us a chance to connect the car to the conveyor system.

Electricity and tech: I know that these two things will be redone and that is a GREAT idea. Having to fill every battery pack on my vehicle takes a lot of time, the prior shown, new electricity network sounds AWESOME compared to the existing one. Can`t wait :-)
    Also, the tech tree reworks sound great. I personally would love to have to search “tech blueprints” in crash sites etc. to unlock more stuff… But I do understand that a lot of people do not want a restriction to building in any way.
    So in my opinion, an easy way to solve this is introducing different “settings” at game start – just like the planned customization of the planets. With different options, you could easily allow players to decide whether they want freedom when it comes to building or some challenge. (Also, this could contribute to the backstory of the player. Is the Nomad an engineer? Or was he a solder?)… I think I saw someone talking about different backgrounds here in the forum, AWESOME idea.

EDIT:
    I forgot one thing that bothered me from the beginning: the building :-)
    I love to be able to build freely, creating interesting inventions. BUT.... it takes a lot of time arranging the different parts, especially in areas that are hard to acess. I would love to have some sort of flying building drone. I`m not talking about an almighty monsterdrone capable of building giant motherships.... Just a small, flying companion. Enough storage for some batteries and frames, only capable of placing frames. For welding them together, the building system as it is right now is good enough. Maybe those drones could be part of several high-end-technologies found in crash sites?

I am not a developer and I do not know how easy/hard some of my suggestions are to make real. I tried to stay realistic with my requests and not whining about stuff that is clearly far beyond the horizon by now. I do not expect you to change everything according to my opinions but would love if you could at least consider some of them.

By now there is nothing more to say than: I LOVE the game so far. Unlike some users I also do not care about multiplayer too much. After work I want a world where I can be creative and relax. I want to build some nice creations, explore the planet (hopefully soon planets ;-) ) and I do not need fast and stressful multiplayer battles and so on. I do prefer a rich and immersive singleplayer experience.
    Of course, it also could be nice to explore together with your friends… but if it is not realizable within a reasonable amount of time, the focus should be on a good and interesting singleplayer mode. (This is MY opinion, please do not crucify me for that :-) )

Dear CB-Team, please continue with your awesome work, you rock!

Cheers
    Kwon

PS: Bought the game for my mother (!!!), too. She approaches things a lot different to what I (and other experienced players) might do. She is not focused on optimization and large, fast vehicles, but on fences to save herself from falling into holes or driving off cliffs. She focuses on a nice looking home (*chrm* furniture *chrm*) and really likes the game, too. It is very interesting to watch the many different perspectives the game offers.
    Last edited by Kwon; 29-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Kwon and welcome aboard. Very thorough and useful feedback, thanks for that. I feel like it deserves detailed answers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwon View Post
    First, I want to say THANK YOU for this game! This looks like it could become the game I always wanted to play. The game is very interesting, even in the early stage of development right now. The graphics look much better than any other game of this genre I have played.
    I really hope, the developers don`t get tired of bad reviews and that they always remember, that the majority of players really like the game and upvoted it.
    I also really like the fact that there are weekly updates. You show everyone that you work hard to improve the game.
    But I don`t want to just glorify your game, there are also some aspects that bothered me.
    A very good start, thank you for stating where you stand with Planet Nomads

Driving a vehicle is fun – despite of some aspects. When driving in third person, I always see the “Press E to open” HUD-Element because I attached a box on top of my vehicle. When I come near water or a bush with fruits, I can see “Press E to gather” and so on. Please deactivate this HUD-Elements when sitting inside a cockpit. Pressing the button has no effect anyways. Or even better: Give us a simple option to disable this HUD-Element (and/or other elements) in the menu. After several hours into the game, I don`t need the hint that I can open a generator with “E”. I do know that already :-) In my opinion: Less equals better when it comes to HUD-Hints.
    That's a good one, we're putting this on the list of suggestions for sure, i.e. to disable the HUD when inside a cockpit. For the second part, it's more of an indicator that you are looking the right way rather than a hint that it's "E" that does the trick.

Talking about HUD. What about an information about outside temperature, radiation (poisoned rain) etc. (eventually coming with higher armor tiers)? Would really like that :-)
    It is partly in the game, but we limited that as the original implementation was mixing effects and conditions and confusing players. It wasn't done the right away. Subject to change.

Also, driving underwater should be redone. At least for wheeled vehicles. By now, driving them under water has no negative effect. I hope, this will change soon, especially with the new hover engines made for underwater movement.
    Right you are!

Vehicles bring me to another small aspect. Would it be possible to add more than one autosave-slot? By now, when you are unlucky, the game saves right after a crash or something so that you can`t load an autosave-data from before the crash. Or you have a problem when your vehicle disappears and you notice that right after an autosafe. No going back then. When there would be for example three spots for autosaving (with autosave always overwriting the oldest one), you would have the possibility to go back further in time and avoid the described problem. (I hope, you understand what I want to say…)
    I do know that there is an option to save manually…. But I always forget that :-)
    It has been raised in the past already and generally a good idea, but requiring to rework the current system from scratch. We're not pulling the plug on this one, but don't expect it any time soon.

Crashsites etc.: The implementation of crashsites and a “story” is great and brings a lot of immersion. But maybe, in the future, there could be some more interesting sites? For example, bigger crashsites (designed by the community?) with more interesting loot?
    Agreed.

I also would love to see more different typed of food. Different plants, different fruitages, different herbs and different recepies to craft food with different pors and cons. This may seem like a strange request but think about it. When crashlanding on a planet, building yourself a home, automating most of your production… and eating those capsules for days, would`t you love to cook some nice dinner?
    Also, furniture! When I build myself a giant home, I would also build some tables, chairs, … Or get some seeds of those awesome looking glowing plants, put them in a pot and add them to my sleeping room. Give us some options to say “Hey, THIS is MY room, I made myself comfortable here.
    Well, these are fine, and would certainly add value to the game, but low priority given all the other aspects that we really want to get into the game first.

Automation: The conveyor system works good, at least when it comes to the basics. But I would really like to have some “sorting elements”. So that I can load everything into one box and have my logistic-system sort the items and place them in the right boxes.
    Also, after a mining trip, transferring all the ore from your car to your base is a pain in the ***. Ply give us a chance to connect the car to the conveyor system.
    Aye, we see the value. But also the incredible amount of work (and time) needed for this, since the conveyor system wasn't designed with this in mind.

Electricity and tech: I know that these two things will be redone and that is a GREAT idea. Having to fill every battery pack on my vehicle takes a lot of time, the prior shown, new electricity network sounds AWESOME compared to the existing one. Can`t wait :-)
    Thanks! We agree.

Also, the tech tree reworks sound great. I personally would love to have to search “tech blueprints” in crash sites etc. to unlock more stuff… But I do understand that a lot of people do not want a restriction to building in any way.
    So in my opinion, an easy way to solve this is introducing different “settings” at game start – just like the planned customization of the planets. With different options, you could easily allow players to decide whether they want freedom when it comes to building or some challenge. (Also, this could contribute to the backstory of the player. Is the Nomad an engineer? Or was he a solder?)… I think I saw someone talking about different backgrounds here in the forum, AWESOME idea.
    We could build on that, yes. At the beginning, it will be just either that, or turn it off with the advanced planet setting. Ideally people will unlock the tech tree by exploring and the next games they decide what they want.

I forgot one thing that bothered me from the beginning: the building :-)
    I love to be able to build freely, creating interesting inventions. BUT.... it takes a lot of time arranging the different parts, especially in areas that are hard to acess. I would love to have some sort of flying building drone. I`m not talking about an almighty monsterdrone capable of building giant motherships.... Just a small, flying companion. Enough storage for some batteries and frames, only capable of placing frames. For welding them together, the building system as it is right now is good enough. Maybe those drones could be part of several high-end-technologies found in crash sites?
    One day, man, one day.

Dear CB-Team, please continue with your awesome work, you rock!

Cheers
    Kwon
    That's the plan!

PS: Bought the game for my mother (!!!), too. She approaches things a lot different to what I (and other experienced players) might do. She is not focused on optimization and large, fast vehicles, but on fences to save herself from falling into holes or driving off cliffs. She focuses on a nice looking home (*chrm* furniture *chrm*) and really likes the game, too. It is very interesting to watch the many different perspectives the game offers.
    We're speechless! My mother was able to do some cycling in an old game, and my father played Boulder Dash. Trying to get them to play a game as complex as Planet Nomads would be virtually impossible. Good stuff on your part!
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Daniel, for that detailed answer!
    Can`t wait until the release of the hover-engines tomorrow. Really looking forward to that.