Thread: No Mans Sky pre orders now available on steam

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

No Mans Sky pre orders now available on steam

Hello good people! Its najeeb from the advisers group on FB

So today i open steam and in my face i get a NO MAN'S SKY pre order page
    Personally im not impressed by what i see , i see a game i will be bored with with in a week as so far it seems like a walking simulator on steroids , Graphics are sub par if you look closely and gameplay is limited

i am curious what you all feel about it

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm impressed by the visuals, however I think the game has been a bit overhyped.
    From what I've gathered the space flight and combat is a bit ehhh, combat isn't Hello Game's strong point.
    I also read somewhere about a 120 meter depth limit, however I'm not sure how accurate that is.
    I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I'll wait untill I start seeing some gameplay videos before I decide how much it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    The general idea behind No Man's Sky sound great on the paper. To explore an "infinite" universe with billions of planets sounds awesome but without a goal to accomplish and much variety in things the player could do the game will become boring quiet fast. I'll wait aswell until the first reviewes are out. It would be great if the game makes up for the hype the people create about but I doubt it.

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm personally eager to see what the game turns out as. I'll admit to getting a pre-order, though my history of being able to pick out good games ahead of time is pretty decent, Towns being one of the two exceptions.
    "And so I close realizing the end has not yet been written" - Atrus, Myst, 1992

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw first trailers I was impressed, but since devs not published news about game mechanic, this game becomes boring for me. I will not buy it. But one friend promise buy this game for me, when it will release, because I helped him with translating some texts. (so embarrassing to me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Preordered but I'm still on the fence, it looks like it could be fun but it also looks like it could be boring and without a doubt both those aspects seem to depend heavily on your location in the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious about it ourselves. At this point it feels totally 50/50 of whether it will be a blast of a game or just an amazing eye-candy for a couple of hours.

BTW is the claim for Earth-sized planet real? I only dug up a Reddit post doing calculations for some 17 miles in diameter. Any additional sources?
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given their pure programatic-generation approach, they could probably make planets double earth-size if they wanted. Each planet is one biome, so explore enough of one planet, and you've seen everything that will ever be generated on that planet, unless they make some particular alien artifact that is unique on the whole planet. Then you definitely don't want an earth-sized planet. Needle in a homogeneous haystack game is not a fun game to play. On the other hand, if a planet has multiple biomes, it would be more fun. And if you know that the most likely place is at the center of the most dangerous biome, then the one special location would be easier to track down. Also, randomly placed alien artifacts could give clues to where to find the more unique ruins, or the one special location you need to find.

Unfortunately, my expectations for the game have plummeted after reading this interview:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...ng-incredible/

I was hoping the NMS universe would have lots of alien weirdness. The FACT is that if you find plant life at all, to say nothing of animal life, it should be composed 99% of a non-earth kind of weirdness that I would like to see. But Murray says NO. It's not.
    Instead we get this from Murray:

“People always talk about us being the game with space dinosaurs in it or whatever, right?” Murray continued. “Even those, they will be one in a million—like genuinely one in a million, like 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent, right? But even then, even though they’re one in a million, 90-percent of the time they should be a boring version of that. And we save the crazy interesting creatures for not one in a million, but one in a hundred million.”
    Following the math Murray has given us, you will, on average, need to explore ONE-HUNDRED-MILLION planets to find the "crazy interesting" alien life. By that time, on average, you will have found 90-MILLION barren planets. Oh, sounds fun. 10 million planets had at least grass. Of those, 1 million had at least smaller life, like birds, fish, insects. Of those planets, 100K, will have larger, four-legged life.

But then Murray adds:
    "But that four-legged creature 90-percent of the time should be super boring.”
    Hmmmm... So out of 99,910,000 planets (for the average explorer), you won't see anything more interesting than a "super boring" 4-legged animal. Then out of 100 million planets, there will be 99 planets that have the large "space dinosaurs," but they'll be the "BORING VERSION OF THAT". His words again.

On the average, after 99,999,999 planets, you'll come across these so-called "crazy interesting" creatures. Whatever that means in Murray's mind. All of this is from his words about the game life, and what he's calling "crazy interesting" is something they aren't revealing yet. I'm just worried that the fact that you'll almost certainly never find it on your own is a deal-breaker.

According to Murray in this interview, then, via the many video releases so far, we may have already seen well over 99.9% of the creature TYPES in the game, with the only thing to discover being the color and shape and slight behavior variations of those types. There are still over 100 Billion of these "crazy interesting" planets to be found somewhere, according to the math given by Murray. But based on the generative system, will they not be variations on whatever Murray thinks is "crazy interesting?" Would you need to really go to more than ten of these planets before even that is boring? We don't know. But there is no reason to believe that the same generative boredom will not set in after seeing a number of these "crazy interesting" planets.

So then we can imagine what most people's gameplay will be like. Explore around and find, at best, the same kinds of worlds shown in the released gameplay videos, only a "more boring version of that," due to the fact that the released gameplay videos are often showing worlds that have the more-rare life on them, rather than being the average barren planet that should make up 90% of the NMS universe, or the grass-only that covers 99% of the universe. After they have explored a bit on their own, they will probably find online that some people have luckily found more interesting worlds, and they will try to get to those worlds that others have already explored. They won't be the discoverer of anything, but just a tourist. Eventually, there will be a number of "Top 10" or "Top 100 Weird Worlds in NMS" videos and lists. People will just travel to those worlds, once they have the resources. BUT even that might Not be so fun because Murray has said it is possible to permanently level alien ruins and make even the "space dinosaurs" on a given planet extinct, and some players may try to do that, just as a man once torched one of the Wonders of the Ancient World (the oracle's temple at Delphi, or the Great Library, I forget which) just for personal 'fame'.

Here's another stat based on Murray's numbers. IF 100K people buy this game, a very good starting number, and play it religiously, averaging 3 hours daily, and explore 10 planets an hour, or average 30 planets a night, then it will take them over a month to find the first "crazy interesting" planet, on the average. They could get lucky and find it inside of a week, or get unlucky and take two months. A single person who doesn't want to travel to someone else's discoveries, on average, at 30 planets per day of playing, playing every day, will take 9,132 years to find that first "crazy interesting" planet. It would be like winning a super lottery to find one within their first month of playing. But that's why 100K or a million players will probably find it much quicker than 9,132 years.

Yes, the game could be boring, after a while, using Murray's own description of the game. The unknown "story", which has also been downplayed, may be the only reason to keep playing it for a significant amount of time, but even if that is interesting, once completed, it is game over. But even here, Murray downplays the 'driving story' aspect, not even willing to even call it an emerging "narrative", but has described it as something that "may" drive a lot of players to seek the center of the universe. He has said that it will provide enough of a climax to give players the sense of having 'completed' the game. He's also implied that there would be on-going support of the universe, where entirely new interests might be inserted in the future.

He's also said:
    "There won't be a galactic war, PVP space battles, base building, turret defenses or anything like that. This is not Starbound, Elite, Star Citizen or EVE, if you want games like those, then buy and play those in addition to NMS."
    A new article has come out that does expose that they have alien NPC's to interact with, and that there are various survival elements, like a cold planet needing you to explore, discover, harvest and mine in order to obtain a special blueprint (by trading?) and build a suit upgrade, etc. One thing you can get early is a grenade launcher that doubles as a mining device by blowing chunks out of the terrain to discover underground caves that would make discovery and mining of new elements faster. There was also a carnivorous plant discovered, so that is promising on the diversity of alien life.

But I've read that the planet only goes down 120m before hitting bedrock or something (no idea how they handle water level if you can dig down below bodies of water), and that the alien NPCs are essentially all traders, in effect, with the game purposely designed not to make you become attached to any one planet, location, or NPC, so the worst that happens if you anger one is that they won't trade with you. And there is never a sense of needing to come back to a planet for any reason (like an NPC quest, for example). The article drew to a close with this question:

"No Man’s Sky sports 18 quintillion planets, most of them dull, desolate, and dangerous. Those few in the demo — a sample size of three or four — were filled with animals that seem disinterested and aliens who mostly seem to run storefronts. During this tiny slice, an unavoidable question rises: Why? Why spend so much time visiting a near-infinite number of places? What’s out there that is compelling enough to engage in this search?"
    Their conclusion is that it must be something compelling, but we can't be told what it may be, or it will ruin the experience of NMS. They went to Murray for the final word, but he added nothing new at that point. Okay. But now I have to decide/guess if that's $60 worth of compelling experience, or maybe only $20 worth, and I need to wait for the first Steam sale.

I do hope NMS is a really good, fun game, but I'm currently more interested in Planet Nomads and all those other games than NMS, right now, mainly because of the building aspects. We'll see how it goes when it releases. The incredible hype will ensure it is financially successful, but I'm not sure it will be a true gaming success, yet. Maybe the odds of running across more interesting planets will be tweaked and then it won't be as boring as it sounds, but even that newest article makes it sound like you'll spend many hours before you come across real Star Wars-like civilization with fights in space and really interesting life on a planet, and while THAT experience may be initially great after two nights of barren or near-lifeless planets, they're purposefully designing worlds that give you no compelling reason to stick around or come back to. That sounds like a flaw actually.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite interesting replies .

There are several things that put me off that game , first being the total arcade approach to things and statements like players do no love realism , The atmosphere can be escaped in 5-7 seconds

Other being no crafting of any sorts just random upgrades to procedural generated ships

third being no way to play along with anyone despite a persistent universe

fourth being the price they are asking for this game on the name of hype

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    Oh my, amazing read. It is hard to believe they would design NMS to be like that, with the probabilities you mention, even though they are Sean's own words, and as a coder, he's probably good with maths. Still, since you can tell if planet is interesting or not from space distance already (or from a flyby in case of planets with life), you can most likely up the average number of planets discovered per hour to what... a hundred even? And you would only land on those interesting ones.

It is also hard to believe that with procedurally generated animals they would have 3 main types and then variations.

On the other hand it started as 3 coders, 1 artist.

All and all we'll see soon enough + I really have to be careful what I say in interviews.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, you can fly-by a lot of planets, but you do need resources to continue travelling across star systems, so it won't be too fast, and besides, to find that "crazy interesting" planet, if you could search 300 planets a night instead of 30, you knock your personal search time down to 913 years. ;)

I know there is more than three types of animals, but they've already shown some of the rarest planets, and each planet is a single biome for the entire planet, so the videos show a large number of the animal types. Then they have a high degree of variation, but it is things like coloration, scales, feathers, or other little add-ons, and variations in behavior (like what plant life they like to hang around). The animations look very much the same from planet to planet, so you immediately get the feel that you've just found the "wild feline" or the "aggressive ruminant" for that planet. What's unique is whether the ruminant has one horn or three, what coloration it has, and whether it likes grazing around some tall trees, or little yellow bushes, and so on. Then some predator type might like to prey on those ruminants, or on some other planet, it would be chasing after some other type of creature. The most disappointing part is that these are mostly just earth analogs, with the carnivorous plant being the most interesting thing I've heard of so far. Giant dinosaurs are cool, too, but I'm not paying $60 to go explore for a huge amount of time (99,900,001 planets on average, apparently) to find them. I don't think I would pay 60$ if the rate was 1:1000 even. That part of it is just not that compelling.

And then the game has also punished defending yourself from animal attack, while making it possible to just scare off the animals by shooting at the ground. It sounds like it will still be very dangerous for a number of reasons, including environment and pirates, maybe, but it also sounds like they've mitigated a lot of the danger, too, for some reason. Maybe there is some challenge to fighting the Guardian bots, but it sounds like they just get more numerous automatically until you die or you run away.

I do think that there must be more to the game, but so much of what has generated the hype is just not that interesting to me now, especially after learning you can't build so much as a pre-fab hut or dwelling or your own ships or a space station, nor is there anything like real multiplayer at all. I did like exploring in Minecraft to a degree, but that gets boring fast without mods. Obviously, NMS could make the experience a lot more fun for a lot longer, but the chances of finding the interesting worlds seems to be way too rare. They could mitigate this with ways of pointing you in the right directions, and maybe the odds of finding something interesting is much higher in the core. My main concern is the question the article raised: "Why spend so much time visiting a near-infinite number of places? What’s out there that is compelling enough to engage in this search?"

Yes, people will track everything you say!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've followed the game for a long time now. Beginning of last year, I even bought a PS4 just for this game.... at that time it was a console exclusive. I was debating to upgrade my pc of get a new console (we have a xbox360) and No Man's Sky made me chose the PS4. Later on it became clear there was going to be a pc version as well and at E3 they even announced it would be released at the same time as the PS4 versions.

I took a look at my games wishlist and noticed that all of the game I wanted are on both the PS4 and PC, but the PC version is always cheaper. Some a few Euro's only, some even €20 cheaper..... when you buy them in one of thse crazy Steam sales. Never look into pc gaming. So, started adding it all up and noticed from the money saved by not buying PS4 versions, I could upgrade my PC and even buy 2 controllers (found some great deals on the Logitech F710, secondhand, as good as new). Did the upgrade and in the end even sold the PS4, just before the price started dropping. Had the thing for 5 months and only lost €50 in the end. That's a good deal for 5 months

Back to No Man's Sky..... I was surprised that it is priced so high. The game is hyped to the max already and asking such a high price for the game, only raises the expectation even more. I'm going to pre-order it, but stay far from the hype. 90% of the rumors about this game I dismiss as wishes from players rather then real features. Even stuff the developers talk about without showing it, I don't believe.... until I see them myself. I'm going to buy the game, since I love the graphic style, it reminds me of the scifi books I owned when I was a kid (mid 70's, early 80's). I love games where you can just wander around and discover stuff and in No Man's Sky you can do that forever. It seems to be the ultimate explorer game and to me that's worth €60. It's an offline game also and for that a huge plus.

Even though it's an overprices, overhyped, most likely overrated game, I'm still going to get it

Post Thanks / Like
    The ratio between barren / grass / inhabited planets must have been a deliberate design decision, as they could easily change that with the procedural approach. But then we would get tired of even the best planets and still be only 10% on our journey to the center of the galaxy.

I'm pretty sure Hello Games wanted to cater to the niche market of ambient explorers looking forward to chill out in a great looking infinite universe, but then it blew out of proportion. And most of the features needed to be added ad-hoc to satisfy the majority of newly interested players.

What fascinates me is the release date juggling. I'd swear it was 21st June on PCs and 24th on PS4. Now it's 22nd on Steam and 21st on PS4.
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I just want to find that sandworm and kill it, is that bad?

I find the idea of exploring only mildly satisfying in these kinds of game because it all feels samey after a while and that is when you need to make up your own fun. Problem is I don't believe no man skies will have the tools for players to do that, its kind of put itself in a box that it can't escape from because of its own gravity at this point.

I do kinda like the idea of it being more survival now though, having to have the right equipment to tackle x option or planet is neat but at the same time I will miss the building elements you would expect in a game like this because if you really want to explore a planet then you want some sort of permanence to your presence being there.

I think hello games needed to say "why not", throw the tools to the community and let them decide on how they wanted to approach the game.

Because cool it lets you be a trader, explorer, etc but it leaves out builder when your able to acquire all those materials? Honestly a stupid decision, let players play how they want to play but I guess that would mean they would have had to create the game differently then what they wanted but at the same time you do have to think about the people that will play your game in the end.

I do hope those living worlds are rare though, I'd rather find heaps of dead worlds so that when I finally found one of those alive worlds I'd have a reason to explore because I'd want to see what's on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a recent bit of news that is new to me, and that is that there is persistence to player actions. The whole possibility of destroying alien ruins or making animals on a planet extinct sounds like something they added more recently. The initial implications were that permanent changes like this simply weren't possible. Stuff would re-spawn, and coming back to a planet, you would see little to no indication you were ever there. But it is such a little thing, and a destructive one at that, that I don't really see the point. It just encourages ruining the universe for others. The mitigating factor is that the galaxy is so big, you would have to go out of your way, usually, to go see the planet that someone else destroyed.

But this is where the idea that I had that people would make online lists of the 100 coolest locations in NMS could be ruined by trolls who go around destroying them. We'll have to see how this shakes out. It won't be easy for one guy to go around and do this everywhere, but 5% of the player population, spread around galaxy, could do it, maybe.

The Hype:
    I knew it was bad when listening to a few guys on a stream, and one of them said he was just going to do an interstellar journey without getting fuel for a hyper-jump, and the other guys all thought that was a really cool idea. I think the scale is far smaller than the real Milky Way galaxy, but it's still a really, really long trip, as in having to put a weight on your forward key for days (if I understand the scales involved), assuming the system doesn't track your personal hunger level, or the ship's H20, CO2 and oxygen levels, and so on. Nothing about that sounds fun, but these guys were so hyped that this sounded like a fun thing to do in NMS. Add to this the fact that the system he reaches is very likely to be completely barren of life. X/

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just cant grasp the price its asking , I am not making a generalization but The showing it has done so far i hardly see any real variety in their biomes .

And if it really takes 300 in 1 planets to find a really interesting one then i dont see how i wont get bored with in a week . But ill reserve my judgement and get the game at a really good sale