Thread: Ideas that didn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas that didn't work.

Post here your ideas that didn't work or the game wasn't ready for that kind off ingenuity.

My idea was: Why search for ore veins, when i can collect the small rocks with kristals whole and put them in a self build open top container and put a autominer above it.
    Collect the stones worked but de autominer didn't see them and the rocks disappeared after a night off sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    I set-up one medium 3D printer for each level-I part, (9-printers in total) and I got two auto-mining to supply them with all the ore they need.

But there are parts that require biomass also, I tried connecting storage to the other conveyor port but it fills up with ore.

I wanted to use biomass generators as biomass storage for my 3D printers, thinking it would not fill with ore and was right it does not fill with ore. But the conveyor ports on the biomass generator are input only, and the printer does not take bio from the generator.

We can have one storage container feed several generators, but a full generator will not give mass to an empty generator or 3D printer.

- - - Updated - - -

I removed the dirt around a plant and crystal and was able to move them, but they disappeared during sleep and logging off.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 20-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into the same types of issues as you, Casual Viking... We could really use a "filter" block or something like that, to be able to limit what will pass through a particular conveyor section. Or the ability to set filters on storage components, setting what is allowed to be stored in that particular box, maybe.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totaly agree, we need some filters that we can set on each containers, it will help a lot. It was a big problem in Space Engineers too.
    Question is how detailet it should be, and I say the more you can set the better.

I will stick to categories you already have for filtering what you will see in containers and just do optional subcategories whith one specific item it would accept - like that biomass, or just iron ore, herbs etc..
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    In an ideal world, we'd have filter checkboxes to select everything to allow through a particular conveyor, or in a particular storage bin. But, in reality that would become a potential pain for the developers - any time you added a new item, you'd have to change the filtering code to add that to the list.

It can be a tough nut to crack, making something that is useful yet uncomplicated for the player, and also easy to support for the developers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a simple one-way conveyor section would fulfill my needs, for now.

I don’t think we need the developers to create a complicated filters system, just a simple block that will allow us to create complicated system.

(I don’t know programming, and I'm sure this is not as simple to do as it is to describe.)
    but; I’m envisioning a 10-slot storage container with (1) in port and (1) out port, and a key slot.
    Once something it placed in the key slot, it will only store and transfer that item.

or a one-way conveyor section with a key-slot.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 20-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had suggested routing pipes/ conveyors like a t or cross where you could assign what ore/parts goes which direction would really help with storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, the conveyor system could use improvement in this regard. The solutions are multiple, having the conveyor ports on the machines/containers separated as input/output, having a filter conveyor block could also work or having the whole piping switchable to go one-way or the other or both.

Unfortunately, when we coded the whole conveyor system, we didn't count with this functionality, and so "to add it", means to rework it. Which is not something we have the time for now. It is on our nice-to-have list though, because a) it makes sense, b) would make the Nomadic live a bit easier and c) people keep bringing it as ChicagoBob stands to attest.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    ok...sorry i brought it up?

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think it would be easiest to simply adjust the storage container itself, rather than the whole conveyor system. Put in a basic filter for a storage box that lets you either accept or exclude items, and then as items go through the conveyors they will only begin to accumulate where they are allowed, and would just pass through if they are not welcome in a particular location. It would be a theoretically small modification to the code governing the storage bins, which would universally affect the whole conveyor system.

Of course, it's never quite as simple as it sounds in theory. Heh. You have to think about things like "what if I put item X in the conveyor system, and none of the storage connected allows item X to be stored?" But still, in general, it seems like it would be the easiest solution to implement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoBob View Post
    ok...sorry i brought it up?
    LOL; no need to be sorry, I’m glad we now know the issue.
    Plus I’m the one who inadvertently brought it up, when I described my Idea that didn’t work.

And FYI: I figured out a solution to fueling biomass to the printers and generators.
    I will let the mining machine fill a large storage container and then turn it off.
    And then attach a small storage container to the large and fill it with biomass, so it should supply all printers and generators attached to the large.
    It turned out to be a good mental exercise!
    Now, on to figuring out how to do my other Idea that didn’t work.