Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed Alpha Milestone Set: Here's what to expect

Post Thanks / Like

Closed Alpha Milestone Set: Here's what to expect

https://www.planet-nomads.com/2016/0...lpha-features/

Hello Nomads,

let us first assure you that everything is going well. We didn’t spread much news lately because we first needed to figure out the plan for the upcoming weeks and months leading to the closed alpha. To carve order out of chaos so to speak.

Planet Nomads Closed Alpha Features
    It’s about time to let you know what to expect from closed alpha. The release is planned for summer and these are the features we’re working towards.

Procedurally Generated Planet with Deformable Terrain
    You will start your journey on a single planet which will consist of 5-8 biomes, all procedurally generated, and you’ll be able to deform them as you please. Besides the ground itself, this will include mineable and destroyable world objects – trees, rocks and such. To make this possible we need to finalize blending of different materials to have a natural feel when you step out of a forest to open spaced plains and continue your journey further, towards deserts and other less hospitable environments.

Kubat will be adding particle effects, setting the correct lighting for the upgraded day/night system, and will also create the topography of each biome using the new, optimized and more powerful noise generators. Together with Petr they will make sure you crash land on a world worth exploring.

Animals & Behavior
    Another feature that will make the world come to life is animals. The closed-alpha will have 5-10 animals in place, each with their own behavior patterns and reactions to the player and other animals. Where’s the big difference between 5 and 10 coming from? We’ve learned a lot about the process of making animals, and by using Blender for rigging and animations, we should be able to speed it up greatly, so the number 10 is our new optimistic guesstimate.

Building & Physics
    The closed-alpha will include building of buildings and ground vehicles and cover their physics. You will have most of the structural blocks from the Editor at your disposal plus the basic functional blocks (wheels, suspension, power distribution and generators among those).

Additional Necessary Work
    The above features are the most tangible ones, but that’s not all of it. There are menus and HUD/GUI, save/load function (the planet together with your changes and creations), there’s music, sounds, player animations, and then there’s Planet Nomads game design itself, as in how will everything work together.

Follow these Planet Nomads gamedev blogs as we’ll be showing the upcoming features in more detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am impatient

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of mundane curiosity, will you guys be letting us know a list of items and/or functionality that you are looking to be tested? Specific additions to the game that need to be played with or is it everything?

Btw, I love the animal art with the post! I'm jazzed for this game! But not Jazz hands Jazzed... Never that... Not again..

Kickstarter Builder Nomad PitykePadavan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks the frog, now I created a good avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CradleRobin View Post
    Out of mundane curiosity, will you guys be letting us know a list of items and/or functionality that you are looking to be tested? Specific additions to the game that need to be played with or is it everything?
    I'm pretty sure we're just going to be thrown out into the game to have fun, screw around and test everything. As features get added they could say that some are experimental, so testing them and reporting bugs on them will probably be appreciated by them

Quote Originally Posted by PitykePadavan View Post
    Thanks the frog, now I created a good avatar
    Oh man that is glorious! Haha

Post Thanks / Like
    The wait is taking too long already, XDDD

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    by using Blender for rigging and animations, we should be able to speed it up greatly, so the number 10 is our new optimistic guesstimate.
    As a fan of blender, what advantages does it give you in your commercial setting compared to the commercial offerings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we going to have built in debug functions in the alpha?

Other then that great update ^_^

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nost View Post
    As a fan of blender, what advantages does it give you in your commercial setting compared to the commercial offerings?
    Not sure what is the difference there. We're using the free setting, but comparing that to the paid 3D Max, it's a whole different world with better animation options, extensions, quick development iterations and support from the dev community.

Quote Originally Posted by Fira View Post
    Are we going to have built in debug functions in the alpha?
    Other then that great update ^_^
    Hmmph, anything specific that comes to mind?
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well well i am pumped after reading this!

Cant wait to get my hands dirty with this game honestly .

One thing tho , i know its discussed before , but i think now i know how i wanted to express my opinion about the animals ,
    They give off a "plastic toy" feel with the shine and the lack of fur simulation of anysorts , High specular mapping etc etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're just going to be thrown out into the game to have fun, screw around and test everything. As features get added they could say that some are experimental, so testing them and reporting bugs on them will probably be appreciated by them.
    I'm good with that! I just want to be a help on this project as much as I can and not just play the game to play the game until after it's launched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CradleRobin View Post
    I'm good with that! I just want to be a help on this project as much as I can and not just play the game to play the game until after it's launched.
    Now that's a music to our ears It will be a combination of do what would you like to do and tell us where it's limiting for you + some specifics as they come up.

Quote Originally Posted by upsetkiller View Post
    One thing tho , i know its discussed before , but i think now i know how i wanted to express my opinion about the animals ,
    They give off a "plastic toy" feel with the shine and the lack of fur simulation of anysorts , High specular mapping etc etc
    Good catch. They are done like that to shine on the black background. The final visage will be fine-tuned in the biomes.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Maslostroj for the clarification! I'm dancing a jig while we wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Hmmph, anything specific that comes to mind?
    Something to spawn items and ghost mode for when/if we get stuck in geometry to get us out, that's all I think would really be needed unless people want god mode.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Now that's a music to our ears It will be a combination of do what would you like to do and tell us where it's limiting for you + some specifics as they come up.

Good catch. They are done like that to shine on the black background. The final visage will be fine-tuned in the biomes.
    thanks for the explanation ! that explains everything

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    can not hardly wait.....;)

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The lizard thing is great but those "Deer" really need to go. Why emulate earth fauna when these are supposed to be alien planets?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad NorthyPark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    damn, cant wait

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait either.
    Will we be allowed to make videos about closed alpha?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, looking and sounding great! Now you've got me even more excited, looks like the alpha will keep me busy for a while for sure, enough to do and to see in it. Great to hear there's loading and saving. 2 questions..... can you do multiple saves in the alpha already and if you start over, will the planet be different from the previous one you were playing, are they already procedurally generated in the alpha?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, looking forward to this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    The lizard thing is great but those "Deer" really need to go. Why emulate earth fauna when these are supposed to be alien planets?
    Why ? I mean, lizard is a species that lives in very different forms on earth, even some on them would look like to you as an "alien", so the same goes for the Deer, that could be also in different forms on "Alien" planet.

The DNA or the processus of Life can make every type of species, it's only the environnement that make the difference. On Planet nomads you see biomes that looks like familiar to Earth. So it doesnt shock me to much if i see a deer with four eyes on a forest alien planet ;)
    "The five colors make a man blind, the five tones make a man deaf,' because if you can only see five colors, you're blind, and if you can only hear five tones in music, you're deaf. You see, if you force sound into five tones, you force color into five colors, you're blind and deaf. The world of color is infinite, as is the world of sound. And it is only by stopping fixing conceptions on the world of color and the world of sound that you really begin to hear it and see it." - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokexpert View Post
    Can't wait either.
    Will we be allowed to make videos about closed alpha?
    As long as you acknowledge what it is, alpha version, we're all for seeing videos of Planet Nomads.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    At least it fills you with a familiar feeling. Although I think its behavior will surprise.
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Convergent evolution.

Here on earth, the basic dolphin/fish shape has been evolved something like 4 separate times.

Because it works.

Ditto something like deer.

Also, it's an immersion thing. If every single creature is unrecognisably alien, there's going to be no connection to the environment. It won't feel 'real.'

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    just two questions guys:

1) will creatures evolve?
    2) is that 5-10 creatures across all biomes, or per biome?