Thread: Anyone else have experience with non-powered wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else have experience with non-powered wheels?

I was playing with a tractor/trailer combination last night, trying some rather convoluted methods to maybe hook up a trailer to tow to a location (basically a large storage box on wheels), and found that the trailer had zero give when I was bumping it or trying to pull it. Up until it freaked out and launched about 2000km straight up, that is.

Just wondering if anyone else uses wheels that aren't powered up? I initially just left them in the normal as-installed state, without wiring power, and they seemed to not budge at all, ever. Made sense, since we have that weird auto-braking effect the second we jump out of a cockpit, and wheels seem to lock in place when nobody is driving. So then I went through and physically turned every wheel off, which I assumed would then allow them to freely rotate like a normal wheel not connected to any transmission. But they seem to still be fairly locked up. And, I suspect that locking is what's causing the physics engine freak out when I try to pull the trailer at all, it's like the old irresistible force and immovable object conundrum.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always power all wheels, so I cant help you here but I got a idea - what if you build rotor and directly on it you put wheel? It will be 1 block wider on each side, but as rotors currectly rotate whith zero braking force, you should be able to move that trailer even if that wheel on its own cant rotate, but that rotor should do the trick
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, automatic parking brake always kicks in if you are not sitting inside the car - which works on towed vehicles too, but they have to be in a single grid.

The rotor could do the trick, though I heard stories of not working as intended in connection with the wheel, but who knows! Experiment and tell us the results.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the rotating block was going to be my last resort, I may try it tonight. I was trying not to widen the stance any more than it already is, but if it's my only option I'll have to go that route. Will report back on my results!