Thread: Pie in the sky: Transporter

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Pie in the sky: Transporter

I was thinking this morning as I was having coffee and doing my morning play before work that a transporter would work really cool in the game.
    Before you say it might be hard, I'll agree, yes, it is for now, but I've thought it out (semi) completely.

Most games have a dev panel and I'm sure you guys have added one too, where you can move yourself from place to place to test out features.
    I've used one of these as a pretend transporter. Problem is, I had to write down the coords for any place I needed to go.

If we found a particular ore that would allow us to create a device for moving from place to place.
    We already have the ability to name our bases and objects, so they appear in the list.

Tier I transporter would allow the person to transport themselves and only what they have on them, i.e. their suite and tools.
    Tier II transporter could allow them to transport themselves and anything in their personal inventory.
    Tier III is hard because you'd have to get the vehicles involved but I'd think it would work like ARK where you can bring your dino with you.

Problems: What to do with any extra things the player is carrying that can not transport with them; i.e. Tier I, the player's inventory.
    Possibly keep it in the transporter unit for when they return? People would get a bit ticked if you vaporized it.

Whether we had to have 2 pieces to make it happen is up to you.

Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Similar transporters are planned to be part of some of the monuments, and we were thinking of having the first tier of interplanetary travel about teleporting the player to the other planet only with the things they had on themselves and in the inventory, but like you say, that could be a bit of a sucker punch to the players.

Good ideas though.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    Similar transporters are planned to be part of some of the monuments, and we were thinking of having the first tier of interplanetary travel about teleporting the player to the other planet only with the things they had on themselves and in the inventory, but like you say, that could be a bit of a sucker punch to the players.

Good ideas though.
    Something like Stargate is coming?

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas though.
    I would love that; it would be like the original SG1, before they added space ships.
    Having only the stuff in my inventory would be just how it would want to start a new game, and thus just how I would want to explore a new planet.
    I’m guessing the transporters will be for two way travel, and we can always go back to our starting planet. And I’m guessing the transporters could also expand and take player to moons, space stations, and ……………

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas though.
    I was thinking about this since I wrote it this morning. You'd almost have to include the player's inventory and that would solve that.
    Possibly an addon back pack to carry more stuff? (I'm picturing me showing up with a large container strapped to my back)..

And thumbs up on the transporter, rather then space ship to visit other planets.

Post Thanks / Like
    It'd be interesting if the portals were a decent size, that maybe just a small rover could fit through. I'm thinking of the Stargate Atlantis ships that were built to fly through gates.

So you'd have to carefully design a vehicle to fit through, and you'd at least have a basic exploration rig when you got to the other side. Starting over, but with just a little head start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... "Stargates" to be found on the planet, which are large enough for a smaller vehicle/hovercraft to fit through and they are good for interplanetary travel. And blueprints to be found in alien monuments or ruins, which would unlock a "small gate" block, which we could build wherewer we want and would allow teleportation between these blocks on the same planet. Or to orbit of the same planet when orbital building becomes a thing. How about that?
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    We are so entrenched in group think; we just automatically assume SG style wormhole rings, and Star Trek being used for ship to planet transport. (That is both funny and sad)

And chamber transporter like in the movie “The Fly” would be cool, ether 1958 or 1986 version.

I have seen large screen used, were you see were you are going to and step in to transport.
    I could see us setting the controls of the transporter to find a planet that has our (Advanced Game/Planet Settings) and then we see on the screen (or in a hologram room) and then decide to look for another or step into that world.

P.S.
    Another transporter that comes to mind in the on use in the Tim Allen’s movie “Galaxy Quest”.
    I could see a stasis pod being covered in slim and it being shot to another planet.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 14-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fly?
    "Help me... Oh please help me"
    I had nightmares for weeks