Thread: two bases connected by conveyors not working

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy two bases connected by conveyors not working

Hi There,

I've created 2 "bases" let's say, I've created them and connected them with conveyors, well I by accident removed one bit of the conveyors which were linking the 2 bases and right after I have rebuilt the block, but from that moment on the 2 bases are unlinked and cannot be relinked.
    I've noticed that if I build blocks from any of the 2 bases, connecting the 2 sites, if I remove one intermediate block the whole structure collapse, like it was not connceted.

It seem the same thing when you build 2 structures separately and then you try to unite them with any block, or series of blocks, even if they are perfectly alligned the structure is not connected with both side, as proof remove one intermediate block and the wole connection fall down.

Is there any trick to reconnect two sites ones connected? If not I think here we have room for improvement, I've spent 22h building and connecting the 2 sites and now I've to either destroy one site and start again from the other, or keep them unlinked... very frustrating...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious when and how this behavior will be improved.
    Also linking two vehicles is a basic need in the game.
    It is clear that we are missing the possibility to lift one piece and attach it to the other.
    Lifting an entire base might not be realistic but "the force" is not the problem, isn't it?
    To move it "gently" is more challenging

My proposal would be to add a console command to switch to creative mode where the player could fix in "unrealistic" way his mistake by "using both hands".
    And then later add also the realistic solutions for small mundane tasks like connecting vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure the console command would go over well. But, this is not an uncommon issue that you are looking at.

For me, I think there are 2 good scenarios for grid connections (beyond the required just fixing of conveyor lines that break when you remove one piece and try to add it back). For vehicles, I put in a suggestion for a magnetic coupler that can be engaged/disengaged. Think of it as a hard point tow connection, which temporarily merges grids. The only issue with this suggestion (which I realized upon further contemplation) is power connections that may be required - you'd have to rewire each time you recoupled, if you are using a single power source. Still, an effective way to lock vehicles together.

As for bases... Something like a magnetic coupler might work, but only if your grids were exactly aligned. I actually really like the suggestion somebody just recently tossed out in another thread, about a flexible conveyor connection. Maybe something that will connect between 2 open conveyor ports, within say a 2 block radius of each other, that will effectively connect the conveyor systems together. The beauty of this one is, you don't have to actually merge grids (with all of the issues that brings along) if you just connect conveyor systems. It would be a huge bonus for setting up mining locations, being able to flexible couple from auto-miners to a small outpost or storage, or even temporarily to a hauling vehicle to fill up and then drive away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by warpengine View Post
    ...well I by accident removed one bit of the conveyors which were linking the 2 bases
    I've spent 22h building and connecting the 2 sites and now I've to either destroy one site and start again from the other, or keep them unlinked... very frustrating...
    A new player may spend 22h to build two big bases, not knowing that he cannot link the buildings with conveyors but building from one side to another shows a clear intention and knowledge of the risk
    The auto save and manual saves with different names is a must in any game, even a released game.

Nevertheless the building concept must be improved. A lego like game should not limit us to one hand because we have one mouse. The fun comes from real life building where you can use both hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys look up my thread in bug reports called Auto miners not using conveyor system
    and you'll find your answer. You can't connect two bases together at the moment.
    Something about the blocks.
    Last edited by GaryP156; 12-09-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's a problem merging grids. That's why I like the thought of a flexible conveyor coupler, you could at least connect the storage infrastructure that way, if not the physical grids. Simplifies the problem greatly.

Even a bi-directional wireless conveyor connection (as has been discussed in other areas, for things like offloading materials from vehicles easily) would solve that basic problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Yep, it's a problem merging grids. That's why I like the thought of a flexible conveyor coupler, you could at least connect the storage infrastructure that way, if not the physical grids. Simplifies the problem greatly.

Even a bi-directional wireless conveyor connection (as has been discussed in other areas, for things like offloading materials from vehicles easily) would solve that basic problem.
    I agree with you, this should be simple to implement though I don't know how it is coded and what are the differences standing between two grids, but from what I see even the articulated blocks which allows to build a semi movable part of your veichle/structure, are effectively separating the 2 parts in 2 grids. If you build around and then disconnect the articulated blocks you'll find that the 2 parts are not bind anymore in a single grid. So I believe is the same concept which could apply to so called "wireless" conveyor connection.