Thread: Angle limits for rotating blocks

Post Thanks / Like

Angle limits for rotating blocks

So, we've already got a suggestion going for being able to lock the swivel and hinge when constructing and such... But, as I'm building and testing some really funky suspensions meant to improve all-terrain travel of my big cargo hauler, I keep thinking about how handy it would be to be able to set a max rotation for swivels (and hinges, although they already physically max out at +/- 90 degrees).

A simple way would be to add a basic entry into the "C" menu for a swivel, with a max rotation number in it. Leave it blank, and it's a constant rotation no limits motion (like it is now). Put in a number between 0 and 360, and it's the maximum rotation that the part will allow: example, 90 would allow the swivel to rotate +/- 45 degrees. As an added bonus, if you put in 0 you could temporarily lock the rotation, which would also solve the previously mentioned locking suggestion that is already out there. Kill 2 birds with 1 blaster, so to speak.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, when your wheels turn upside down it can spoil your fun whith it and it happens quite a lot, if you dont want to drive very very slowly and carefully.

So far I made this workaround, and it is functioning very well and do not cause any problems even when you hit something very hard.

The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neat design, Jimmy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple way as far as the GUI is concerned, and I'm sure diving into the matter more in-depth would reveal plenty of other problems and exceptions. But the main trouble is the block nature of the grids - there are simply no 45 degree angles available - note that all the existing blocks connect in the right-angled fashion.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true about the 45 degree angles, but I'm not thinking about having things rotated and then connecting in the rotated state, if that makes sense? The rotation limits are more to prevent catastrophic over-rotations that are basically impossible to recover from. It's a real issue for me when I'm building complicated suspension systems to keep more wheels on the ground at all times, and usually requires a huge amount of excess block positioning to create hard stops that make implementing interesting mechanisms on small vehicles nearly impossible. And even those hard stops sometimes don't work, as the game engine can glitch out and suddenly a piece has miraculously passed through a solid structure somehow.

In some cases, I'd only like to allow a small amount of articulation, like maybe +/- 10 degrees. Just that little extra to keep the wheels on the ground