Thread: Ores .... the hell of finding what you need

Post Thanks / Like

Ores .... the hell of finding what you need

Carbon, Silicon, Iron ...easy.

Then you hit the point where you need to find a better ore like aluminium or cobalt, and I just cannot do it! It's driving me potty. I seem to have driven my little rover for miles looking for 'white patches of ground' but I find nothing. How far shoulkd I have to drive to find a place where this stuff spawns?

Are there any other clues, hints or places where I am more likley to get them?

I can't progress without.....

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found alot of this ores away 5km from my base on north (tundra) ot south (desert / tropics).

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the other ores by following the beacons

Post Thanks / Like
    Beacons? All the beacons I have found so far have just been wrecks and not hugely useful.

From the sound of it, I just have to travel further. So..I have upgraded by rover. My first rover was a tiny 4 wheel buggy with a pair of battery racks, a pair of small containers and a cockpit. Nothing else.

Rover 2 has 16 wheels, a power generator, 4 battery racks, a medium 3D printer and 5 storage containers. If I go 5K to find ores...I want to bring back enough to be useful!

I am also considering making a moving base and forgetting all about a fixed base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hint: Do some test mining around the beacons, usually a vein of something nearby (in my experience).

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm...now I am interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Hint: Do some test mining around the beacons, usually a vein of something nearby (in my experience).
    Yes. Don't just zap the surface rocks, do a bit of mining in each new biome you explore.

Post Thanks / Like
    The resource rocks (with little crystals on top) should also catch your interest.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the surface rocks respawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Go north or south when you see a change in the landscape do some test mining, you will find the ore you need.
    Also you may find it quicker and easier to make a flyer and go back and forth to a fixed base.
    I had the same idea at first, be a true nomad and built what I called an RV, the terrain got to rough for it to handle, I tore it down started my fixed base and been using a flyer ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go north you get silver and aluminium and cobalt in the scrubland, if you go south you get it around the islands/jungle

If you go north you get gold/titanium/uranium in tundra, if you go south you get it in mountains and badlands

If you go north you get the pink stuff in the arctic, if you go south you get it in the desert (Both are temperature hazardous, but easy to handle.)

Post Thanks / Like
    How do I find the materials to make a flyer? Is it craft with the airblades or something else?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to explore outside the start zone to find exotic materials and you will see them in abundance above ground as well as in the ground, usually just visible under patches of flowers.

Once you have them you can make the advanced hover and flying components and auto miners.

At first though you can only make a rover, though there is one source of exotic material in the starter location, the "eggs" of the creatures, but you will have to survive their aggression if you try to take these, it usually is not necessary.

You can also salvage your crash site wreckage and pod for advanced components, but the latter is only safe to demolish once you have made a sleeping chamber.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've written a short Wiki entry covering ores for you if it's useful. Includes a table with ores and most likely places to find them.
    https://planetnomads.gamepedia.com/Ores