Thread: With the Sensible Tech Tree*, what do think should be the starting build-able blocks/equipment?

Post Thanks / Like

With the Sensible Tech Tree*, what do think should be the starting build-able blocks/equipment?

With the Sensible Tech Tree*, what do think should be the starting build-able blocks/equipment?

I figure for experienced players all we really need to survive is the emergency 3D printer, Bio generator, and the small FAD machine, and all the other the blocks can wait until we find them. (I figure one BioGenerator, is enough to power the FAD and landing pod)

It would be cool if we could dismantle our landing pod, to get its marker, and also learn solar-light and stasis chamber plans.

And in customize planet mode, newbies could select to start with floor, exterior wall, wall with door, and roof block plans and the small green house plans.

Sensible Tech Tree *
    People often don't want to accept our interim solution of having to build blocks to open other blocks, because it makes no sense. They are right. The placeholder solution will be replaced by a more sensible one. And also more demanding one. New building blocks will unlock as you find their technical specifications on the planet - in the wrecks we introduced in 0.7.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 01-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the sleeping (stasis?) chamber should be on the have on hand list, since w/o silver you can't make much. I've been 4km in all directions and i haven't found my way out of the forest bio yet.

And yes I agree the tech tree needs to be changed. I have built blocks, and salvaged them just to build other blocks that I wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good point with the silver, keep 'em coming.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    It would be cool if we could dismantle our landing pod, to get its marker, and also learn solar-light and stasis chamber plans.
    I love this idea! It could even yield some tier2 materials, to give new players a limited supply of them before striking out into new biomes.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    All blocks? I'm very serious, since this is a sandbox game, I should be able to play it the way I want, instead of being forced to play it a certain way. Unlocking block takes away that freedom and forces the playerto play the game in a certain way. It sets a pattern you need to follow every time you play the game. If al is unlocked, the player can chose his or her own path, insted of being forced to go down the same road every time you start a new game. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    All blocks? I'm very serious, since this is a sandbox game, I should be able to play it the way I want, instead of being forced to play it a certain way. Unlocking block takes away that freedom and forces the playerto play the game in a certain way. It sets a pattern you need to follow every time you play the game. If al is unlocked, the player can chose his or her own path, insted of being forced to go down the same road every time you start a new game. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    THIS! as new intro says we are specialized terraformers sent to explore the planet.. Devs, do you really think that we would be sent here without the knowledge of how to build a base and survive? Moreover when we have a talking spacesuit with inbuilt computer which is able to monitor all our health and nutrition needs? It sounds highly unlikely to me, that company would invest so much into such expedition yet they sent a bunch of incompetent individuals.. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense. I have built blocks and destroyed them just to get to the better ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are planning on giving us customize planets, so like that how about going old school RP customize characters.

You select to start as a specialized terraformers; you start with all blocks and level 3 equipment.
    You select to start as a deserter; you start with minimum blocks and a good suit.
    You select to start as an exiled plague victim; you start with minimum everything and need to eat herbs to stay alive and will seek a cure.

With each option giving player different suit color/pattern options.

I could see us fans helping to create story lines and options for starting characters.
    (What would be the story for a religious pilgrim, civilian explorer, escaped slave, escaped political prisoner, or ? )

And I would like to see character choice also effecting animals, plants, and maps.
    For example;
    A deserter = +2 animals aggression and strength, -2 for plants, and starts with a blank map but reviles a larger area when traveling.
    A plague infected = -2 animals aggression and strength, +2 for plants, and starts with a blank map but reviles a smaller area when traveling.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 05-09-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    I agree, all blocks should be avaible from start.
    Then, you can go exploring and when you found the monuments, you discover some special blocks - they will have unique design and different stats than your original block or it can be new block whith unique function. You would not see them in build menu until you discover them.

That way, player can start new game and play like he want while maintain unlocking new blocks. This way it will be special moment when you find them. There is nothing special about unlocking wheel or medium armory, not even uranium reactor.
    More advanced blocks still cant be build from start because of more adcanced material is needed for them anyway - for that reason I usualy build vehicle first and then I build base somewhere.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to bring this up again...

Will the new tech tree be in today's update?
    Somehow it seems to be missing in all recent posts showing the plans for 0.8 :-)

I'm just curious, won't be able to play the game until next week but can't wait!!

cheers
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I agree, all blocks should be avaible from start.
    Then, you can go exploring and when you found the monuments, you discover some special blocks - they will have unique design and different stats than your original block or it can be new block whith unique function. You would not see them in build menu until you discover them.
    I really disagree, and to an extent...you have disagreed with yourself. Make all the blacks available...but have some extra blocks you can find. So that's not all the blocks. Not picking fight...just pointing out that there needs to be a reason to explore, and finding things that help you make more things encourages exploration of the world. I do understand what you mean though.

Availability of resources to build blocks is already a factor, but the current placeholder means of build block A to unlock block B makes no sense. Finding wrecks and dismantling parts to learn how something is made makes more sense.

The danger for me is that survival just turns into 'slow creative' where you can build anything you want, right from the off, but it's slow until you can mass produce the parts you need.

My overall view is that both sets of gameplay should exist. Have a third mode...Creative. All blocks, no resource gathering required. Survival, all blocks buildable but you have to provide the resources .... and 'Exploration' being survival where you start with the absolute minimum and have to find the blueprints as well.

It's the same game engine, but just uses a different game mechanic at the start where all the blocks are flagged as 'unlocked'. The wrecks would still generate and you can till break them down for parts....but the 'B' screen won;t change as you already have them.

If you don;t want to go to the trouble of a whole new game mode .... just have a custom tag where you can turn on or off block availability in the world creation screen.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the very least, the first blocks unlockable should be the simple ones: Armour, railings, ramps, floors, ceilings etc.
    IF you have a magic beam gun, making cubes of metal should be automatic.

Then mechanic/electronic blocks: Generators, switchboards, lights.
    Then basic wheels/suspension/batteries.
    Then fancy stuff like hover/flight gear/reactors.

Possibly as a result if finding stuff in the world.
    Like, your character is smart, but is not going to conduct original research in a jungle.
    But once they have the pattern from salvaged stuff, they can make more.