Thread: Multiplayer Completely Scrapped?

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiplayer Completely Scrapped?

Saw the post today about multiplayer no longer being a goal.

I understand if it does not want to be shoved out with the game's current state, but do not tell me it is completely being removed as a goal for this game?

This game's appeal to a lot of people was being able to play with friends. Massively multiplayer is not a thing that would work for this game, of course, but a cooperative experience, or even the ability for LAN would make this game become much more fun for a much longer period of time.

If it comes down to never having multiplayer, I will be highly disappointed because I saw a lot of potential in playing this with one, two, or three friends.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    allot is an understatement

this was outright a promise features , it cant just be removed with out a poll

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe it's a wise decision to scrap it completely. Too many sandbox games fail due to multiplayer. I understand people want to play together, but there are a lot of sandbox games that already offer that.... most of the them have the same issues, bad singleplayer, never getting out of early access, little support by the gamers. I follow a lot of the sandbox games and own a lot as well. Most of them never get out of early access before the developer abandons the game. A game starts out well, then the multiplayer crowds comes in demanding the game needs multiplayer must be implemented now. The developer caves in, the game fails, the multiplayer crowd moves on to destroy the next game. Very sad, but all to common scenario amonsts indie games. Now some sandbox games do well with multiplayer, but the mostly have a larger team working on the game or offer very little entertaining single player features. The PN team has now made a final decision on this, but seeing that their team is small and good multiplayer is a lot of effort and needs a lot of expertise and a huge investment, I'd this is for the best. In the end it remains a stretch goal that wasn't reached at all and I always found that the multiplayer part was a bit too ambiteous for a small team with no pc game developement experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you've already read the reasons, upsetkiller has for sure, but just in case, and for everyone else coming to this topic:

https://www.planet-nomads.com/faq/#will6725

It wasn't a light decision, and certainly not one about "wanting" but more about "being able to". We could have been promising multiplayer for some time, until official launch, but it's not the way we want to roll. Apologies for just laying it at you yesterday without explanation.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Casual Solo player I have no issue with this decision, but I do have issues with people that overreact and complain instead of thinking of possible solutions to their desired game-play.

This may be something Steam or GOG would have to develop, but I wondering if a possible solution would be to have chat plus picture in picture, so you could talk to each other and in a small window players could see their friends screen.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 01-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    I guess you've already read the reasons, upsetkiller has for sure, but just in case, and for everyone else coming to this topic:

https://www.planet-nomads.com/faq/#will6725

It wasn't a light decision, and certainly not one about "wanting" but more about "being able to". We could have been promising multiplayer for some time, until official launch, but it's not the way we want to roll. Apologies for just laying it at you yesterday without explanation.
    well, I won't lie, I feel quite disappointed by this decision.. but ok, it's your choice and your game, so be it.. in my eyes, you have just took a very big goal to achieve on your back from now, though.. as you are now focusing to make GOOD single player game, you need to add TONS of content to it to keep players attention.. moreover I have one big question - what about spacecraft and flying mechanics, are you going to abandon those as you did with MP?

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the decision as a software developer, some things although hard, need to happen. If I have my choice on just another MP or MMO crappy game or a solid great SP experience, then I'll gladly play by myself any time. Possible MP could always be added in the future but a game like this is a huge chunk to bite into.
    SP games have to have a ton of content to keep the player interested while MP games partially rely on having other players supply half the fun.

I'd argue that stranded is a solo experience, but multiple pods leaving the ship and landing in different places also makes sense for the story. MP brings on its own set of challenges including latency issues and connection problems.
    If I were the team, I'd setting on SP too, at least for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me give...as an example...my other favourite sandbox survival game set int eh future. Space Engineers.

It is a great fun game, and I enjoy it a lot...but it was also cursed by multiplayer.

They had no intention to make it multiplayer, and have ended up adding many features demanded by the community, often to the detriment of the game. There have been several major re-writes of the code to try and make multiplayer stable, but it still really isn't. The amopunt of work put in to this one feature alopne was immense and it's still going on. It is just about possible to get a dozen players on a server, as long as you limit the amount you can build. The game has already got a fairly drastic speed limit as the physics engine can't cope in MP. What...with all this effort did the 'mob' want with their sandbox....an FPS mixed with a space shooter. Perhaps they should have just bought Star Citizen?

Instead, I would prefer to see this game improved in terms of content, story and depth...and from the roadmap...I think that's the general direction Craneballs are taking it. So for me...it's a good decision made for the right reasons.

I would rather a GOOD single player game, than a compromised multiplayer game

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    I would rather a GOOD single player game, than a compromised multiplayer game
    Agreed. Hey, maybe if they sell a million copies they'll add a multiplayer expansion. But right now, they need a viable singleplayer game they can sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone on the 4th year with Space Engineers, and watching development of that game, I can tell you that one of the biggest mistakes (in my opinion) was that the developers brought in multiplayer far too early in the process, and now the majority of all complaints in every part of their forums feel like they end up about crappy multiplayer support. If the core engine of the game isn't even fully developed for single player, you can be sure it's going to blow up with multiplayer. SE is a great example of that - the core engine still suffers, and the netcode makes all of the little issues much worse.

Sure, I'd love to have a little co-op action in Planet Nomads. But I'd rather have a solid game first, and maybe if enough interest is shown the multiplayer can be looked at down the road. As much as it might suck for some, I really think the devs made the right call on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertak View Post
    What about spacecraft and flying mechanics, are you going to abandon those as you did with MP?
    The only reason we announced the multiplayer not happening, was because we wanted to be transparent and honest. We could have kept promising multiplayer for months and years to come, but that's not the way we want to be to our community.

Not seeing spacecraft and flying mechanics together with the multiplayer should speak for itself.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of it is down to how good the developers are and how good the management of the project(s) is/are. Especially the management. If a project is poorly managed it will go badly wrong, no matter how good the rest of the team is.

It's been said above that multiplayer was the downfall of SE. That's actually an example of failure by management.

I'm impressed with what I have seen so far with Planet Nomads, therefore I think Craneballs appear to be good on all fronts.

It would be nice to have coop at some point, but best wait till we have a solid solo game. Maybe release the fully functioning solo game, then create a new pre-alpha project of the game as co-op or even multiplayer if there is a big enough audience for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
    I'm impressed with what I have seen so far with Planet Nomads, therefore I think Craneballs appear to be good on all fronts.
    Agreed. They're obviously very responsive to our feedback, the update schedule has been strong, and the Youtube videos help keep us informed.