Thread: Where am I? Where is my map?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Where am I? Where is my map?

Dear Developer,

I enjoy trying to explore my planet.
    I let some light beacon with a marker to find my POI on the compass.
    This system works well when you are in the countryside or not to far away from the beacon.

The thing is that I lost my path in the most dangerous territory... the desert.
    And I would never know how I finished to go back home.

Can I suggest that we have a map showing the explored territory and our POI?

Thank you in advance for your hearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually lost my vehicle for an hour or so!

I have built bases around the planet and labelled them (A, B, C, etc), so easy to find again The beam is nice too, but if your base runs out of fuel while you're out, you're stuffed

It would be nice to have beacons on vehicles... hmm, separate thread

Post Thanks / Like
    But... You can have a beacon on your vehicle whenever you wish. Build one of the small solar beacons, slap it on your vehicle, set it to broadcast, and you've got an instant answer to "Dude, Where's My Car?"

I usually throw 3 beacons up front as "no energy cost" area lights on all of my rigs, and set the middle one to broadcast.

Edit: Point of note, you can also always add a single solar beacon to your base, set the letter the same as your home letter, and you have a failsafe backup for finding your way home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, I did not know that about solar beacon!

Thanks, Vrmithrax

I'll go and delete the suggestion thread I just created

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the point of naming your beacons? I don't see any way to read the name from anywhere?
    What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP156 View Post
    What's the point of naming your beacons? I don't see any way to read the name from anywhere?
    What am I doing wrong?
    I am wondering if that's a precursor to something like a map coming eventually... Or a planned way to have them be readable in some manner for the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    We do want to create a globe for you to use that's marking your location and points of interest, it was considered for the November update already, but didn't make the list. Soon after though!
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You crashed on an unknown planet somewhere in the universe, I'd say having no map totally makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    But if I crash landed with the current technology that we have in the game then there's no way that I would not have a building radar system. Even if it was just in my area and not the entire map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    You crashed on an unknown planet somewhere in the universe, I'd say having no map totally makes sense.
    Very good point. I'd rather like to see a "fog of war" kind of map, one that starts blank and fills up as you explore. Beacons would mark down on the map, and ones you happen to detect would just appear out in the black area. Essentially, your on-board suit computer would be constantly updating your map. Think of yourself as the sole Google Maps vehicle on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the map in 7 Days to die where it reveals where you've been.

Post Thanks / Like
    What am I doing wrong?
    You need to turn on the location marker. Click the little balloon in the wheel interface (what's that called?) that resembles the Google Maps position marker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
    You need to turn on the location marker. Click the little balloon in the wheel interface (what's that called?) that resembles the Google Maps position marker.
    The location letter shows up fine, it's the name I was looking for in the compass.

What's the Automatic vs manual function for? Anyone?
    c.jpg
    Last edited by GaryP156; 08-09-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The map don't need to have the whole planet, but at least the part you already scavanged. I would make a hand map or a pad map to orientate myself on a big terrain if I was exploring ANYTHING. Why not, right. But good to know we might see something like this on future updates. LOVE the game!

Would like to know that either, what's the difference of manual to automatic. Thought it was the light, but no...
    The location letter shows up fine, it's the name I was looking for in the compass.

What's the Automatic vs manual function for? Anyone?
    c.jpg

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Automatic means: turn the light off when the sun is up.
    Also, when you are nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to suggest more marker letters or icons. Also a way to remotely manage them. Sometimes they are all pilled on top of each other and I can't see the one I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple solution to this problem of hidden icons is if the devs can implement a drop down list of all markers once you click on the top marker. List in order of distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    We do want to create a globe for you to use that's marking your location and points of interest, it was considered for the November update already, but didn't make the list. Soon after though!
    It sounds great.
    Thank you.