Thread: Improving the game to be more enjoyable.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Improving the game to be more enjoyable.

This is for the developers of Planet Nomads, to anyone else try to keep in mind that even though I play alot of another game that I quite like this game also and can see it has alot of potential and this is just my opinion.
    Planet Nomads has had alot of improvements over the last year or so , its turning into something special in its own right.
    The game being pretty young so to speak has along way to go and a few things that would in my opinion improve the general game play and make more players want to review the game in a positive fashion.
    I have held off on a review of the game for now until I see where the torque of the wheels ends up going.
    Firstly the build system, building itself is pretty good, nice menu, even my old eyes can see the pictures fine and it functions good, the electrical hook up system is unique and easy to use and is nice and customizable, bar wheel torque.
    The FAD and refinery and 3d printers however have clunky UI screens, scrolling the item slots all the time is annoying, and it is much more organized if these machines had 2 seperate slot sections, one for the stuff that going into it to be used and a seperate set for what it produces, the output slots.
    This would help ''clean up'' the UI menu on these devices.
    Tutorial mode, it is my opinion that for learners of the game, to make it much easier to learn the building process in survival, there should be a seperate mode, so a tick box in the menu at the start that says, Beginners Ore Drop, where when the box is ticked it spawns a few of all Ores close to drop pod as rocks on surface, so a very limited amount of precious ores that would help greatly for brand new players that jump straight into the game, no creative first.
    Some people say others are silly for not learning in creative first, but its my experience that a massive amount of people actually do jump straight into these games head first, so a learning mode like the above suggested isnt about changing the game in anyway other than making it more user friendly for the masses, the faster you can learn a few things in building sandbox survival games the more chance you have of keeping that player interested to a level where they get that itch to play it everyday.
    Moving on, the terrain in this game I have found to be a nice change from my other game, its more detailed and its colourful and the resolutions are good, its a refreshing change, the maps could use some cliffs with massive rock faces, and the biggest thing is water.
    This game should have flowing water.
    With flowing water should follow devices that can be used to collect, store, release water, like trap doors, flowing water as seen in MC has been used for hundreds of different inventions / builds. It would be a real shame if none of these voxel building games ever recieved flowing water, the next big game that follows MCs path of stardom and million dollar paydays year in year out really is going to need flowing water, PN has a unique electrical system, its half way there to making some loopy insane designs, something that brings me to Workshop, which I would hope will be fully incorperated into Planet Nomads.
    So water in my opinion to be flowing, doesnt have to be volume-metric , but is so important for the games true replayability that if it isnt on the list offeatures to do, it surely is worth consideration.?
    Now my biggest gripe, wheels !
    They are so slow, any incline and they loose all puff super fast, talking about a simple 4x4 with no containers nothing else but power supply, its really really unbalanced, its really boring going over slight inclines at 5 klm/h, its not even realistic let alone entertaining, and I see that adding more wheels slightly improves the problem but it creates other problems, like being to big to go mny places anyway, and they still get stuck even with 20 odd wheels so what is the point of all of that ?
    A simple 4x4 should be able to traverse a slight incline with bugger all loss of speed because an electric motor, unlike a fuel motor has the same torque right through the band almost, so it makes no sense at all that a simple 4x4 with just a 2000W Uranium genny cant get up a slight hill.
    Some solutions would be a second tier of wheel with ALOT more torque, that would keep the present wheels and make your first trip or few slow and be in step with the games balance.
    Or you could add more settings to the custom menu of the wheel to all upgrades of torque, like more torque = less top speed sort of thing, have that trade off.
    Or you could just make them more powerful straight up, but I dont think this is the best solution.
    Another solution is to add a second set of wheels at half the diameter so the torque is increased but top speed reduced, just another way of doing the same thing.
    Hover craft are not a solution for slow wheels, just sayin.
    The beauty of Planet Nomads is in creativity, we can build right now slow machines in general, I would also suggest a small Segway machine you can build from the drop pod when you start, just a touch faster than walking speed, but protection from heat and rain , temperatures, its better than a motor bike, its cheaper than anything with wheels, its a starter Segway for early exploration, a Segway thats Enclosed, like a Bubbleway !
    A Segway could be done as one full 3d model, or, it could be done in parts we then build ourselves, which is I think what most builders out there would prefer.
    If it was a build it yourself system, then the wheels added to the game for the Segway, obviously alot smaller than the current large wheels, would be something that hundreds of builders out there would build machines with.
    Some wishlisters, aircraft for in atmo with proper flight controls including the devices to make either planes or choppers, smaller specialized Urainium genny for wheeled machines the current is a huge one fits all type and is to bulky, alot more weapons, alot more types of enemy AI, although the ones in the game are unique and very cool indeed, keep them cool like that just need alot more, love those bees, run forest run, anyway, the ability to remotely drive machines with remote cameras also, and a GRAVITY GUN like in HL2 ! Please !

All in all the games looking great, just needs to be a little more new player friendly though.
    Wish yall the best of luck, I really like devs that read there forums and respond like you guys also have on yours, good job indeed, I dont expect a response in this thread its just nice knowing you took the time to read it anyway, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was all a bit of a wall-of-text for me but you made some really good points:

1. Water - flowing water, ripples or wind-blown water would be amazing
    2. Wheels - currently driving up an incline can leave you curled up on the floor weeping in frustration. Any sort of automatic traction control would be an improvement.

BTW devs, did you know you can't run over the animals anymore? That's how I used to get my meat. The car should at least do SOME damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels always have been an issue and Im really looking forward to the day we can hover or fly. I'm getting the feeling that that physics engine is too strong and generates too much gravity pull on blocks. Can't shake the feeling by now that they can't solve it and that other blocks start behaving weirdly if they lower it.

Flowing water would be nice, but I rather see them spent the precious development time on more useful features... life flight

Wall of text indeed... good to use a bit more of a formatting. If you did more suggestions, I missed them because of the wall of text.

Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't easy to go through it all, but we did anyway. Thanks for the tips.

Now, the low torque on wheels keeps coming back and we are bambazzled with it - because we're climbing super steep slopes with four-wheelers. We urge people to send videos of small inclines bringing their cars to 5 kph, or even just send the saves, as we really want to figure this one out.

I'll make a similar thread on Steam forums too.

Making the onboarding process easier is most likely of a big concern, though the question is should we be doing it now? Or rather get more content to the game and for the existing users and then, some day in the future, get back to the beginning and make it easier for new players. Tough decision to make.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    It wasn't easy to go through it all, but we did anyway. Thanks for the tips.

Now, the low torque on wheels keeps coming back and we are bambazzled with it - because we're climbing super steep slopes with four-wheelers. We urge people to send videos of small inclines bringing their cars to 5 kph, or even just send the saves, as we really want to figure this one out.

I'll make a similar thread on Steam forums too.
    Good idea, I think I have some saves (*before latest update however) where a small incline drops me from 25 to 0.5kph.
    Zig/zag kind of helps like tuners with their low cars that drive over bumps in a 45 angle
    The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.701961)]i would love a weld function that allowed you to fuse two blocks from seperate systems, so for instance in this image selecting the two blocks that are seperated and on the same plane and weld them together to join the two systems

it would be really good if we could get a weld tool that allows you to connect two systems aslong as the blocks can be made to become adjacent. as in the image below

if it aint broke, brake it and see if you can make it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will look at video recording the problem with slow 4x4s and post it for you, I have visitors from interstate atm, so it may take a few days before I get the time to do it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers!n Enjoy the company in the meantime.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried setting my wheels to full speed, having 1 battery per wheel, and medium and high suspension and I can't get up the hill. It stalls and rolls backwards, turns and flips upside down. It's comical to watch but not fun to be in. It's a small buggy too, 4 wheels and a cockpit.
    (Sorry piddlefoot, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.)
    buggy.jpg
    hill.jpg

It looks like a huge hill but it's not. There's a base at the top, that I can't get the rover up to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with a very similar rover design early on, GaryP156. The flipping is because you have a very short wheel base and lots of top weight, I think those little storage boxes have a pretty big weight/size ratio. My solution when I had a design like yours was pretty simple: stretch the wheelbase out by maybe 2 blocks (move the rear wheels back) and you'll get better handling. Consider digging into the frame and integrating the storage as well - I eliminated the 2 middle blocks down the length of my rover and put storage blocks in to make the floor (also happens to tie them together so you can access all storage at once). I also found that low or medium stiffness worked better with smaller vehicles for me, it made them less bouncy and unpredictable. I only use stiff suspension when I've got really heavy vehicle bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! Thanks Vrmithrax. I'll go mess with it on lunch today, and report my findings.

EDIT: OK, I revamped my vehicle and it climbs better and flips a bit less but it still could use either more traction or more power.
    I moved the rear wheels back as you suggested and put all of the boxes in the body.

Dev's is there any way to turn up the friction more? Speed is on high but that only makes it faster, not more traction. It still comes to an almost halt on steep hills.

buggy2.jpg

This still feels like a little test vehicle I made once inside Unity instead of a real game vehicle.
    Last edited by GaryP156; 30-08-2017 at 11:54 AM.