Thread: How do I make the vehicle more powerful and better traction?

Post Thanks / Like

Question How do I make the vehicle more powerful and better traction?

Me again, sorry. Trying to get the hang of this with limited information.
    I'm trying to make a basic mobile base of sorts. The issue is that the extra weight seems to be too much for the, well there isn't an engine exactly but the equivalent of. Like I'd add a Medium 3D printer but it's massive and the weight seems to cause issues. Also the vehicle (is there a better name for it?) really struggles with slopes. I can work around that a bit with winches to pull it up but not that practical generally. Some players made some supermassive very heavy-looking vehicles but this may no longer be so easy due to weight-power balance. Is there a way I can make it more powerful overall to carry more weight and gain traction over slopes?

I'm currently using two battery racks, one for the wheels and one for the powered units on top. Would splitting the load over more racks do the trick or is there something more powerful I can use? I could add a third rack and try to split it over. I'd use a biogenerator but again you have the weight size issue. Are there solar panels? I noticed them in some existing vehicle models shown. Would adding more wheels make a difference? I'm using 4, used to use 6. Due to the newness of the game, there probably isn't a lot of help online or the wiki.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you want at least 2 batter packs per wheel, or use a reactor,

next the weight issue and traction you need more wheels and suspension units this is mine dont be afraid to copy it

as you can see the heavy things are over the wheels and i have alot of suspension going on and a lot of wheels and power i have also adjusted the settings to the wheels and suspension ie wheels set to low speed and suspension set to high

hope this helps you out friend
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    You can change the suspension settings? I'm going to try and replicate that, thanks. What are you using as a power source? Batteries? I'm presently using a generator as batteries drain in no time. I seem to have the most frequently rebuilt vehicle

Post Thanks / Like
    Each suspension arm has 3 settings for spring stiffness. Low/Med/High.

What would also help is small generators (next size up?) with conveyor ports so they can be connected to compact storage. Batteries can then be stockpiled centrally.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would help the most is a tier 2 wheel with 3 times the torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my current vehicle. The front suspension is those long swingarms with one wheel per arm. The rear is two wheels per suspension item for a total of four wheels in the back. The power is a uranium power plant. It still has small issues with steep hills but I could always add another set of wheels to improve the hill climbing.

Sorry it's the only pic I have of it. I have added 2 lights per side on the front swingarms and 5 lights total across the front.

- - - Updated - - -

Post Thanks / Like
    This Is my mobile base, plenty of power. It can climb a 45 hill at 10kph and do close to 40kph on the flat. Articulation is the key, you have to make sure all your wheels are on the ground all the time

Last edited by ScatterBrain; 24-08-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT COPY THIS AS IT HAS WEIRD COLLISION ISSUES AND YOU WILL END UP IN SPACE but... it freaking goes till it does..... Maybe it just needs to be built up a few more blocks or be set to medium speed or something... Still the wheels are ridiculous.
    20170829024451_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I was struggling with building a vehicle which acts like I wanted to in the earlier versions, but with the changes in the last update, I finally got what I wanted.
    Its not a mobile base, only an exploration vehicle with a stasis pod and a sh#tload of small containers on the back, powered by a nuklear generator:

It has 12 wheels, front 4 are steered, all set to low speed and high torque. Its not fast, it has a steady ~22-23 Kph top speed, but with that speed it goes nearly everywhere, even through a few godillos.

I've only tested it in creative so far, but it is really promising. Maybe I'll try something bigger next time
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see a few more angles on this vehicle if you get a chance. looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Svt40 View Post
    This is my current vehicle. The front suspension is those long swingarms with one wheel per arm. The rear is two wheels per suspension item for a total of four wheels in the back. The power is a uranium power plant. It still has small issues with steep hills but I could always add another set of wheels to improve the hill climbing.

Sorry it's the only pic I have of it. I have added 2 lights per side on the front swingarms and 5 lights total across the front.

- - - Updated - - -

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice compact design, Fura.

Post Thanks / Like
    One update later, with the new wheel type set to Torque. Wow, what a difference. Previously unscalable slopes managed with ease at around 20mph. The land is fairly flat here so not tested the limits yet. Standard 4-wheel design with biomass generator.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems to me that this thread become vehicle gallery , so i'm adding here my Mad Max-style car, for killing animals and then easy harvesting them
    https://imgur.com/a/WW8Ht

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We def need some way to save & transfer vehicles.

So we can get a good vehicle design, and share it around, or use it on a new game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    We def need some way to save & transfer vehicles.

So we can get a good vehicle design, and share it around, or use it on a new game.
    I agree! Like the Blueprint option. But that's a lot of work to get it into Steam. Even if we could transfer between Creative and Survival. I'd even hand copy the files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP156 View Post
    I agree! Like the Blueprint option. But that's a lot of work to get it into Steam. Even if we could transfer between Creative and Survival. I'd even hand copy the files.
    Problem is that GOG doesn't support it as like Steam. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    My vehicle still climbs crappy and slides.
    1 mph all the way up. If it makes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP156 View Post
    My vehicle still climbs crappy and slides.
    1 mph all the way up. If it makes it.
    Are you using the new wheel type? Make sure it's set to Torque not Speed and there is a limit to what it can climb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
    Are you using the new wheel type? Make sure it's set to Torque not Speed and there is a limit to what it can climb.
    I was just posting in another thread about the wheels. I'm going to try them this afternoon in the desert. I have high hopes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Netgyrl View Post
    I would love to see a few more angles on this vehicle if you get a chance. looks really cool.
    I actually took some more shots of it this evening. It's still the best performer I've built as of yet. Will hit 60 on flats and does 5-10 on steep hills.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the unconventional suspension layout on that rig, @Svt40! Very cool.