Thread: Ultimate Goal Question

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Goal Question

As a relatively new player, I've read through the FAQ and the latest blog posts but i'm unsure what the long term development plan is regarding the end-game.

Its clear that the plan is to develop the means for a player to get themselves back up into space and find other planets. However once there, what is the on-going goal that you have in mind since the survival element is achieved at that point?

Other games like NMS have major time consuming goals like "reach the center of the universe" or "Buy a big freighter and collect starships".

Its obviously way to early in development to be implementing this kind of stuff but I am just curious what the design brief is that you are working towards?

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the goal is to survive and have fun there is no end game as such like space engineers, just keep playing until you get board, but with new things been added and things getting changed and hopefully MMO been added at some point that will take a very long time,

also they will probably add i guess at some point a scenario builder.

or maybe a story line put that would be very far off
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few things about the game, as it is right now, that I find un-satisfying. Ill make comment here, take with a pinch of salt of course, as this is a WIP, and I do not know long term plans. Anyway....

* Why are you surviving, and what is the end goal. Games tend to have an end goal. And they then offer tools, which if used creatively, allow you to achieve those goals. If you have no goals, you are missing a key element of that dynamic. If you are missing the tools, the same issue. IF you needed to reach somewhere, that would be neat. Maybe you need to build an ultimate device, to call for help, same. But having nothing to work toward, ultimately will leave people dis-interested and they will stop playing.

* The animals are VERY basic, and right now, could easily be removed and no great loss. There does not seem to be a viable eco-system, that they form a part of, and you basically have these symbolic animals, that, oddly, are guarding some kind of organic resources. The AI for the creatures, as well, is very basic. Maybe they should be removed, for now, until they can be realised in a fuller manner that has more of an impact on game-play, and is more plausible.

* You have a pretty strong system for building things, BUT, I dont really see WHY we need to build things. You can build a multi-story dwelling, but there seems little to no need. You can add fences to a dwelling, why? Nothing ever attacks you. If you had packs of animals, that roam and attack in packs, then I can see the reason for building fences, walls, doors and so on. Fallout 4 kind of showed this same issue. You can build these massive bases, with very elaborate defences, suggesting a major attack might occur. But it never happens. Same here.

Some other points...

* Night time has been reduced in length recently, as I guess it was deemed a PITA. Maybe it should be made short, but a REAL PITA. Make it truly dark, meaning that adding lights to your dwellings would make more sense. Right now, lights are pretty much pointless, as you can see in the dark, even in rooms with no windows. Maybe add a moon cycle, so the moon or moons wax and wain, adding their own light at night.

* You have lots of super high tech kit, but no mapping system. Exploration games are really fun, when you have a black map, and as you explore, it fills in. This can then be used to bread crumb back to where you came from. The map, should would based on line of sight. Maybe make it auto generated for locale around user, or further when the user uses some kind of scanner. Way-points are cool, but a map makes more sense, and would avoid a LOT of frustration getting back to a location.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure my goal will change, but currently I’m role playing that I was hired to build facilities for pilgrims head towards this newly discovered planet.
    My construction ship got destroyed when entering orbit and I assume my crew was lost also.
    But the pilgrims are still on their way and I have to do what I can, so my landing site will become the capital city with a space port, and factories and mining facilities will be needed elsewhere on the planet.

I hope my ultimate goal will grow to building a large space ship, a space station, and discovering/rescuing NPCs who become my crew.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are all spot on. The end goal is certainly on our mind and we'll have one for you. Can't be any specific as we are still juggling the ins and outs of a few possibilities. Plus we are now more focusing on the mid-game, which pretty much encompasses all of the christ's remaining points. Starting with smarter animals that have more impact already on 17th August (though in no way final).

Roleplaying is the way to go at this point. All of these advanced aspects of Planet Nomads are in their infancy right now. But we're working on them for sure. Once the August update is reached, we'll decide on the next mid-term development goals and let you guys know.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    which pretty much encompasses all of the christ's remaining points..
    BTW, my name is Chris Thomas aka Christ, don't worry, no messianic delusions here....

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    You guys are all spot on. The end goal is certainly on our mind and we'll have one for you. Can't be any specific as we are still juggling the ins and outs of a few possibilities. Plus we are now more focusing on the mid-game, which pretty much encompasses all of the christ's remaining points. Starting with smarter animals that have more impact already on 17th August (though in no way final).

Roleplaying is the way to go at this point. All of these advanced aspects of Planet Nomads are in their infancy right now. But we're working on them for sure. Once the August update is reached, we'll decide on the next mid-term development goals and let you guys know.
    I am very much looking forward to hearing these goals!

An other thing I was thinking about is how long can you keep improving the game until the end of your companies resources for this project is reached? I understand game development is a costly business and you have been funded by Kickstarter and the Alpha-release. But these funds will not last forever. I do not want go into subjects that are none of my business, but it is something I think about.

Maybe it is better to put it this way: what is your planning, your estimated date, for having a game that has all the features you had in mind when starting this project? Of course, you can go on improving based on our feedback, but you can't do this forever right? At a certain point you will run out of resources. Just curious.