Thread: Nice variety of furniture and other decorative blocks,.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice variety of furniture and other decorative blocks,.

The thing that disappointed me about Space Engineers is the lack of aesthetic blocks and furniture. Once you build a functional place it looks rather drab and boring without furniture. Which is a reason I've taken a break from SE. So i suggest a variety of furniture be in PN it would make it a cooler game.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad CosmicTony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's a weakness in many survival/builder games; the lack of items to make things more homey. The problem is, even though I would like those sorts of items I don't want them just for the sake of looks. If they add nothing to the gameplay then a limited number of them is fine.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. A long time ago I suggested some decorative blocks for one game. I have saved my sketches:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24vvjyozge...Part1.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vay3abkvj5...Part2.JPG?dl=0

Looks better, than "just grey box with windows".

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya i would say the best example of what i want is something like Starbound.

Preorder Collector Nomad Monteknight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is how to make it blend, however they'll probably figure something out!

Kickstarter Unique Nomad LordForte's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, certain 'decorative blocks' can confer small bonuses so there -is- a gameplay reason other than aesthetic. A kitchen-style setup might increase the efficacy of food or hydration, for instance. A bedroom/hospital could increase recovery from the elements. It's not too much of a stretch as this game is emphasizing survival elements a bit more than some others.
    "Our home is where we are. Our place of origin is not relevant, only where we choose to go together."

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LordForte View Post
    To be honest, certain 'decorative blocks' can confer small bonuses so there -is- a gameplay reason other than aesthetic. A kitchen-style setup might increase the efficacy of food or hydration, for instance. A bedroom/hospital could increase recovery from the elements. It's not too much of a stretch as this game is emphasizing survival elements a bit more than some others.
    I like this idea.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LordForte View Post
    That's a good one indeed. I like if things have functions.

Post Thanks / Like
    More homey you say I wouldn't be expecting things like libraries, fireplaces and chandeliers if I were you, rather alternatively looking utilities, chairs, tables and things like that.

Decorative blocks fall into the category of "nice-to-have" (save for the ones that will be part of the KS reward tier). To have them have little bonuses adds more appeal to them even for people, who wouldn't normally bother with those, so I like the idea a lot.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel this topic is actually very important. It's something that has also bothered me - not just about Space Engineers - but even games like Minecraft which started the genre of these sandbox building games.

Take this picture of a ship I created in Space Engineers - this is what I called my "Captains Quarters".

It uses a hallway block on it's side as a "bed", and that's basically all it has. This is because 1) there aren't any cosmetic blocks in SE, and 2) the smallest block you can put in a "large" ship grid is still 6' by 6' by 6'. So it's kinda hard to build a table when the shortest height you can build it is 6 feet off the floor.

Now, here is a "Captains Room" from EVE Online:

The difference is night and day, and there's not even a lot of decoration in the physical space - no plants, only one desk, some stuff built into the wall... But it's the variety of walls, the decorative lighting, and just the varying textures that make the room so much more alive and realistic.

We as players are used to these environments. Bethesda has been giving them to us for years:

Now, no, we don't want deer-heads or wooden chairs in our Planet Nomads ships or stations, but we're used to playing in vibrant, colorful spaces and it's a bummer when these "sandbox" games don't let us create these same environments.

So what I'm saying is, "Yes, give us decorations, and not just the guys who found out about you during your Kickstarter campaign..."

Just my 2 cents...

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bonuses or functionality would be nice, but simply having these things is good.
    Otherwise your base is just a series of empty rooms, some of which have a machine in them.

Preorder Collector Nomad MoonEater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well yeah i think we need some, maybe not at start, not in some time but eventually?
    Would be nice if we had some sort of 3d printer, that we could make items, You just make some basics, and allow player to put their own design, or design properly in game and share it in lets say iso files like in planet exprorers.
    You provide functionality, we modify to our tastes, or just use something that someone else used, i think it would be nice for multiplayer part,.
    And hey, maybe not on some small base or ship, but if i would make something closer to capital class, or just big enough (like Ebon Hawk or Milenium Falcon) to put inside some cabins i would like to add some fancy space furniture to suit my need

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like lots of deco items. But in another game they are included into whats called devices. MP has limit setting to ban the use of ships with too many deco items. Would PN ever do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the reasoning behind the ban? If deco items have high poly counts then someone could spam them on a ship to reduce performance on other people's pcs. That can be fixed with proper LOD levels

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I want to the furniture and lighting effect here in Australia. I am going to open a small size cafe!
    Buy Cafe Lighting furniture online in Australia.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NingZh View Post
    Hi, I want to the furniture and lighting effect here in Australia. I am going to open a small size cafe!
    I'll be stopping by for a drink, mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this would be nice. I play Minecraft modded sometimes and use the mods which include furniture which are more or less purely cosmetic but still help to build up the scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Must admit the textures look a bit ugly on here comparatively though I have mine set quite low res.

Post Thanks / Like
    To avoid creating new posts on the same theme, using this thread. Some ideas, mostly decorative but to make bases feel less barren:

- Desk
    - Futuristic computer, however that would look
    - Paintings/photograph
    - Working camera, take photographs of places to use in above photograph object
    - Chair player can sit on
    - Tables, maybe circular
    - (Food) Plates of some description
    - Hologram to place on table
    - Computer image wall (see this example)
    -Wall clock, functioning or non-functioning
    -Kitchen surfaces, maybe storage, fridge

Post Thanks / Like
    PN has great bio-luminescent plant life, and some blocks with cool lighting.
    So, I say expand on that, to make those long nights a good time for creating and enjoying indoor aesthetics.

(The lights on ramps is the main reason I use them so much for things like walls and roofs.)

Most equipment lights up when powered, I would like to see the Compact Med-bay, medium FAD machine, and large greenhouse get some lighting when powered.
    Also, I think the generators should have lighting when on, and lights on it show fuel level.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, since multi-player has been eliminated from the roadmap, things like cosmetic blocks seem like a much easier thing to implement at some point. I'm also wondering if this might not be a great place to add some modding support eventually? Let people create all sorts of models for items that can be imported into your game and placed, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be so cool to use actual screen shots of places we have been and turn them into wall art.