Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your vehicle designs

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Your vehicle designs

OK so redesigning my car (in-game) and trying to think of a better design. What have you (players) come up with? Feel free to show off ;-) Just looking for inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few tips.

*Use a bio-mass generator, instead of batteries.
    *Place a wrench on the front and back. EDIT: (I tried this last night and it did not work.
    I guess the wrench will pull an object towards itself, but will
    not pull itself towards an object.)
    *Use solar lights, and set one to be a beacon
    *Plus for a different look you could use 3 or 5 wheels.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 02-08-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've created 3 vehicles so far:

1. Small nimble car with minimum parts to get around - short range scout
    2. Truck with a stasis pod on the flatbed back and lots of compact storage modules - long distance survival, exploration and resource gathering
    3. The Titan (see my post) - my first attempt at a mobile base with everything currently available equipped (although it can't currently move despite having 25 wheels due to the torque issue)

The big issue for me right now is getting more than 2 mins out from my main base in vehicles 1 and 2 without losing them down a hole but the devs are aware of the issues and we just need to wait and see what changes they make as we move forward.

I think PN has great potential and i'm really happy with the early game concept, it works really well. Can't wait for more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you spot what is unique about this ugly little vehicle? (Hint: compass)

Is was not easy to do, I feel it was a epic win!

I would tell you how I did it, but I think everyone will enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to do it.

test-02.jpg
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 05-08-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vehicle01.jpg
    vehicle02.jpg
    vehicle03.jpg
    My simple 6 wheel design with uranium generator to power the wheels and the stasis chamber on the back, also has several compact storage containers along side the generator as well as 2 solar beacons on the front which one is active on the compass so i don't loose it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fast, has lots of storage, climbs steep hills at speed and is flip resistant. I call it the MtnGoat

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first attempt creating a mobile base. It handles quite well and it can go through a forest by simply knocking down the trees
    The only problem with it is that I thought one nuclear generator will be enough to power everything on it. But it's not... So I had to power down the stasis chamber to get it moving. And it still has no lights installed. So I'm calling it a mark one and I'll figure a way later to stuff an other generator it somehow

- - - Updated - - -

I realized that I had two medbays on it, so here is the mark two

I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my mining exploration rover. Articulation on the front and back to help attack steep bumps and inclines. Wide front wheel stance and fairly low center of gravity makes it hard to flip over. Front 4 wheels and rear 4 wheels set to steer, so it is very agile with a small turn radius. Powered by uranium reactor, stasis bed on the rear, so I can make extremely long runs for rare materials. All storage and reactor are conveyor connected.

Mining Prospector Rover Side View.jpg
    Mining Prospector Rover Front View.jpg
    Mining Prospector Rover Rear View.jpg
    Mining Prospector Rover Birdseye View.jpg
    Mining Prospector Rover Articulation.jpg

Would love to put some rotation articulation into the wheel arms as well, to ensure more wheels on the ground at all times, but it gets too bulky to build hard stops when trying to keep the rover a decently small size. If we ever get the ability to put in max rotation locks on those blocks, I'll definitely be revising this design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool designs!! thanks for all the screen shots!

- - - Updated - - -

Fura - what are the pillars made out of?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Netgyrl View Post
    Fura - what are the pillars made out of?
    Short inner wall. I was lazy to place 4 blocks to have the right length, so I just threw that at the side. But it ended up quite well I think

Post Thanks / Like
    First i built a 8 autominers trailer, but i could not hook it on my truck. So i built this 4 autominer, but i had some ground hight clearance issues.

So i built this smaller version.

Then i built this potential mobile base with good articulation. With 12 wheels.

Then i stepped it up to 24 wheels, 9 hinges and a 15 by 15 platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    This is my first attempt creating a mobile base. It handles quite well and it can go through a forest by simply knocking down the trees
    The only problem with it is that I thought one nuclear generator will be enough to power everything on it. But it's not... So I had to power down the stasis chamber to get it moving. And it still has no lights installed. So I'm calling it a mark one and I'll figure a way later to stuff an other generator it somehow

Wow that one's huge! I tried to keep mine compact-ish. Not sure how much weight it can take. How does it manage steep and variable terrain if you're going to those areas?

- - - Updated - - -

My one looks like a rather odd steam engine with the upright uranium generator. Trying to stop it tipping over so often but the terrain is difficult to transverse in places. Would a wider design be better or worse? Trying to not overload it
    20170912235354_1.jpg

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads,
    I take a few pictures of my new vehicles. I recorded way more of my gameplay whith vehicle horseplay that I planned and it is time consuming to put it together, so no eta yet but there are some really nice moments of vehicle driving on harsh terraian.

All 3 desings are capable of driving very well in rough terrain, yet my last one (that one whith new offroad wheels) can climb pretty steep slopes and can ride down almost any kind of "mountains" +- 80 angle down the hill np and it survies in 90%(mean it wont fly to space or other bugs) after I restricted angles of that 2 hinges - it is 3 part vehicle: in front there is only cockpit, in middle part there are cargo containers and printers which also works like anchor to front and back section and in back there are reactors and sleeping pods.

Btw that design which have wheels hold by hinge is pretty unstable sometimes, specially after I load save it likes to start tremble and usualy fly away if I dont build large cargo anywhere before it is too late ( building heavy block anywhere on vehicle "resets" position of hinges and rotors so it can be used normally)

I hope you can see enough from it, anyway enjoy ;)
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...50#scrollTop=0
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my mobile mini-base.

mobile base.jpg

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariah View Post
    Here's my mobile mini-base.
    Dont you have problem whith that inner wheels bumping to base of vehicle thus slowing/stoping your vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
    Wow that one's huge! I tried to keep mine compact-ish. Not sure how much weight it can take. How does it manage steep and variable terrain if you're going to those areas?
    Well, 32 wheels in total It handles difficult and steep terrain quite well actually. There's one issue with it though. It works fine after I release it from the jack where I built it. But after saving and re-loading the map the hinges becoming unstable. They are shaking often and it feels it could launch to space at any time, but that never happened so far. I'm not sure, it could be related to weight, but it is a bit weird it only happens after loading the save.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    But after saving and re-loading the map the hinges becoming unstable. They are shaking often and it feels it could launch to space at any time, but that never happened so far. I'm not sure, it could be related to weight, but it is a bit weird it only happens after loading the save.
    Yeah, my vehicle got way bigger issues whith hinges. I saw that design whith hinges somwhere on PN forum and I tryied to build one too as you can see on my screens. But instead of having more compact design I couldnt return to my base anymore, because I left that vehicle parked at base and as soon as game load that vehicle, it start to tremble more and more to the point it fly away and game cant handle that mutch computations, effectively freezing game. I tryied abount 6 times to approach it - and sadly it always flew away in about 5 sec after that vehicle was spawned so there was no way I could travel +-450m(at that distance vehicles are waking up I guess) to it and stabilize it.
    Luckily I had old savegame left behind that I could load, in that one I had that vehicle locked in ground so I could approach it and disassemble it asap whith please. Only inconvenience was that it was quite old save so I had to travel again from center of north pole back to my base on other side of planet - 18km away but I mannaged to drove back to base in +-50min, I already made that trip once so I knew what awaits me on the way ahead, so it could speed up travel time a little . I think I will start to make more new saves instead of rewriting around 4 saved games repetitively - you never know what will mess whith your saves
    Last edited by Jimmy; 13-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very weird... I almost exclusively use hinges to connect my wheel arrays to the main chassis on all of my larger rigs, to better attack inclines and keep more wheels on the ground for traction and stability. I do see a bit of vibration occasionally, but it's typically not dangerously so. I did notice that it often seems to be some kind of harmonic reaction with spring suspensions when they are being taxed hard - changing to higher suspension tension often caused the shaking to minimize or stop completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to play around with the suspension settings, but low is just not enough to handle the weight of the mobile base, and behavior is pretty much the same on medium and high setting. I was wondering if rotating plates would do a better job, but not tested yet. Haven't had much time for playing, but I'll probably try that when I get to play again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would actually prefer rotating swivels vs using the hinges, but they have their own set of issues. It's too hard currently to keep them reigned in and keep the angles from getting out of hand - you have to set up elaborate hard stop systems to keep rotation from going over +/- 90 degrees. And even hard stops are not guaranteed to work. I've had multiple instances of getting a lag as I apparently was moving between zones or sectors, and the swivels glitched to where suddenly my wheel assemblies were in an impossible position, having magically phased through solid blocks to get stuck in an awkward position. And then, usually, I end up in orbit as the physics engine freaks out.

If we ever get the settable limits to rotation for hinges and swivels that I suggested, I think the swivels will become a major benefit for making suspension systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you check the mark two in my post above, you can see that I had to add some blocks to "adjust the limits" of the hinges. Same issue you mentioned, the wheel arrays kept getting stuck in a vertical position. I know swivels have this issue that they can glitch through blocks, that is why I used hinges in the first place. But apparently hinges have their own set of problems as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! We're damned if we do, damned if we don't sometimes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    I have a few tips.

*Use a bio-mass generator, instead of batteries.
    *Place a wrench on the front and back. EDIT: (I tried this last night and it did not work.
    I guess the wrench will pull an object towards itself, but will
    not pull itself towards an object.)
    *Use solar lights, and set one to be a beacon
    *Plus for a different look you could use 3 or 5 wheels.
    Winch? Not heard of any wrench

- - - Updated - - -

Ariah, can I use your vehicle picture as an example on the Vehicles wiki page?

Post Thanks / Like
    My most compact big wheel mobile base.

Excluding the suspension it's 9 by 12 blocks. It contains all 8 devices excluding autominer and they are all connected to each other and to a storage capacity bigger then a big container. It does 12.5 kph on flat terrain in high speed mode, and 16.5 kph on flat terrain in high torque mode hill climbing is terrible. Maybe with more wheels it will go better.

Post Thanks / Like
    aRPeaR, new vehicle looks cool, but I want a tour of your base in the back ground! now that looks really impressive!