Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your vehicle designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    .... how do you get that to work? Whenever I try, no matter what orientation I put the blades in, they always just try to LIFT the vehicle ... :(
    Did you disable auto stabilisation of the aiblade in the top left corner of the radial menu?

Post Thanks / Like
    ... so that's what I was doing wrong ...?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to record a nifty video of my mobile base, but something went screwy and it only recorded audio. I should have a few nifty screenshots to share when I get home, if I can stop building for 5 minutes! This game is dreadfully addictive - it's like Lego you never have to worry about stepping on in the dark!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post

I tried to record a nifty video of my mobile base, but something went screwy and it only recorded audio. I should have a few nifty screenshots to share when I get home, if I can stop building for 5 minutes! This game is dreadfully addictive - it's like Lego you never have to worry about stepping on in the dark!
    LOL, that car is awesome.
    It is almost a Volkswagen hippy-wagon with a little trailer behind it.
    Have you tried putting the rear wheels of the car in reverse steering?
    It looks like that might help you steer a bit better.

Yes, there's just no end to what you can build, more and more creative things are being deployed and hopefully soon we will get a bit more hostile enviroment
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    LOL, that car is awesome.
    It is almost a Volkswagen hippy-wagon with a little trailer behind it.
    Have you tried putting the rear wheels of the car in reverse steering?
    It looks like that might help you steer a bit better.

Yes, there's just no end to what you can build, more and more creative things are being deployed and hopefully soon we will get a bit more hostile enviroment
    Yep, I've also set the middle wheels to match the front. The only drawback to reversing the rear wheels is a particularly sharp turn can overturn the trailer, and winching it back upright can be a NIGHTMARE.

It would be great if a rotator attached to the middle of a long beam would act like a lever if I stood on it, but... I have used those massively heavy floating foundations successfully for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies, and gentlemen , I give you ... The HMS Turtle II ...!

A thread here showed what kind of extra challenge you could get with a world set to +30 Water, and I was intrigued. So I started a Survival game on a world with 24km diameter, -20 Altitude, and +30 Water. (The islands are surprisingly large, actually, with lots of sudden drop-offs into the water ... very, very DEEP water ... heh).

After scouring my starting island for resources - including the output of planting a mining rig on each of an Iron and a Silicon vein for a couple in-game days), I build the first Turtle .... which, due to a brain-dead error on my part, promptly TURNED turtle in the water, and had to be disassembled/salvaged.

But the Turtle II, with _two_ flotation platforms, is much less subject to the ass-over-teakettle mistake that sank the first Turtle. It also has the room and weight capacity for a Medium 3D Printer, so I can roam and scavenge, without having to set up temporary base camps all the time.

Sadly, I don't quite have the resources to FINISH the Turtle II; I'm one Composites II short of finishing the second hoverpad at the back - and the imbalanced thrust of having only ONE active makes it challenging to drive in a straight line. So, right now the only actual motive power is the two Small AirBlades at the back. They suffice both for steering and thrust, and can make .... well, not GOOD speed, but faster than walking, anyway, as you can see in the image below.

Eventually, I want two Hover rings in the front, too. And two more air fans, also at the front. But I need six more SC Circuits for the fans (that means, silver), a total of five Composites II (each of which needs two Aluminum), and something like eight Reinforced Frames (yet more not-equatorial-region metals). So ... off I go, partially-complete or no, in search of the remaining materials I need.

Eventually, I'm going to replace this with Turtle III (two pads aft, one forward, lots more "pusher" fans ...).

hms_turtle_a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Edit to add: .... yes. yes, I know that's a godawful lot of solar panels. I ... I may have gone a bit crazy with them ... (at least the two-and-two alongside the "ridge" of Batteries and Compact Cargo boxes got taken back off, due to weight concerns ...). Don't bother counting ... there's 20 of them. 5kW of power capacity. If those batteries ever emptied, sunrise would probably fill them to 100% inside of thirty seconds.

Also, I have NO IDEA why "HMS". I'm American, but ... I dunno, "HMS Turtle" just _sounds_ better.

Post Thanks / Like

This little hovercraft scout comes in handy at this duterium plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    And this is my "Prowler" mobile base.
    One part giant truck, one part hex-copter, and one part carrier.
    The lightweight flyer on the back is exceptional for reconnoitering and it boasts both good speed, decent range, and (36) decent cargo capacity for a light craft.