Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your vehicle designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Netgyrl View Post
    aRPeaR, new vehicle looks cool, but I want a tour of your base in the back ground! now that looks really impressive!
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...Base%28s%29%21 Here are some pictures off my base. Indoors it's still all empty. I do not know how to make a youtube video, if that is what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my first run at a long range hover scout. All hover pads are in sets of 3 on articulated arms and set at 2 heights (front and back set to high hover, middle lower one set to medium hover). With this swing arm setup it really adjusts and attacks bumps and hills well, and it's sort of self-correcting front to back so it doesn't wander away since I built it mass balanced left/right. Averages about 35-40 kph on everything but the steepest hills, which it can drop down to around 15 kph at times. The only down side is that I'm chewing up 1.95k of my 2k power output on the reactor with the stasis pod powered up.

Long Range Hover Scout.jpg

Long Range Hover Scout Top.jpg

Long Range Hover Scout Side.jpg

Long Range Hover Scout Front.jpg

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice idea and also it is nice to see that hover pads can work whithout suspensions - it just look unnaturally whith them

On the other hand, I didnt test hovercrafts yet, but it looks like hover pads need to "be in contact" whith ground to propel you in any direction, except upwards ofc. Somehow, I was hoping that this type of drive would eliminate the need for building moving arms and so it would allow us more freedom how to desing hovercrafts.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the second iteration of my hover scout. I tried to convert my wheeled design at first but that was very unbalanced, and one uranium generator was not enough to power everything. So I've got rig of the hinge based rear suspensions, rearranged stuff a bit and this is the result
    It is quite well balanced actually, which is pretty much an accident. Since the hover pads are not fully on the front, it bumps into the ground occasionally on rough terrain, but made that sacrifice to keep the looks
    Speed is moderate, ~30 - 35 kph on relatively flat terrain, but it can climb near vertical hills as well actually. Has a decent amount of storage space as the bottom is packed with small cargos. With everything connected to the generator - includign the sleeping pod - it is on 1.99K load out of the 2K max.

I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,
    here is my attempt to build bigger hovercraft. As you can see, I added few blocks while I was driving and testing my hover. At the begining of the video, you will see "2 types" of hover design, the tuned one is on the view from below.

In the first version I wasnt able to fully see my widest part of hover, so I extend that 3 hoverblades(build just to prevent flipping) on each side to cover entire lenght of hover.
    But the biggest issue whith this hover was that it kills me very often by placing player after exiting cockpit below hover(yeah there is valid space at that time) - but then hover will fall down and crushes you. So I have to made platform on the side of cockpit - then exiting cockpit always placed me on the platform.
    That is also very useful position when you want to mine nests - you just drive close by to hive, facing it by hover left side, then yo just exit, mine nest from hover and enter to cockpit before usualy any animal is able to react and your vehicle will protect you from spits of posion pretty often, just rocks from gorrilas will bring havoc as usually.

Too bad, this hover is also unusable after the patch which set hoverblades to low height, as are a lot of hovers build by others Nomads.

The more you know, the crazier you look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings Nomads.

I present for your consideration - an amphibious mobile base...

Mobile1.jpg

16 rigid hover pads, 2 Nuke reactors, a stasis pod, plenty of storage, and the ability to go anywhere pretty well..
    I know everyone else seems keen to cram as much as they can on thier bases, but I prefer to just build what I need, when I need it.

Mobile2.jpg

I know it my look a little primitive to some of you, but it's already been pole to pole on the planet I'm on, so I know it's more that capableof doing the job I ask of it. It cruises at about 22mph, and is VERY hard to flip over ( I did manage once, but thats what you get for driving off a cliff at night...)

I hope you like it...
    Last edited by NeoSt3v3; 29-10-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added text

Post Thanks / Like
    I present ...the Caterpillar

It actually works really well in most respeects...though it is a little tricky to steer especially in tight turns. Climbing.....damn. As long as you have a couple of segments on the ground giving drive...it goes up cliffs. Each segment is joined by a double hinge one up/.down...one left/right to give good articulation. Double suspension helps keep wheels on the ground for traction.

Next, I plan on building it in my survival world, loading up some cargo containers and a stasis chamber, and I am off on my second round the world attempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some fun with the new floating base pieces... Behold my Mobile Floating Base platform concept below! Current design climbs and takes slopes and bumps very well. Just drive right into the water, float around, drive back out onto land. It averages about 25kph on land with 16 knobby wheels on torque, 16kph in water using just 4 hover pads that are positioned so that they are just submerged when the base is in the water. Should scale up on wheels and pads if needed, will have to see how it performs once I build a true enclosed base on the thing!

Mobile Floating Base Platform - Aerial View.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - Front View.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - Side View.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - Wheel Carriage.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - Water Propulsion Pad.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - In Water.jpg
    Mobile Floating Base Platform - Water Pad Detail.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been playing with floating barges to make a 'ferry' to ship my explorer buggy over a large sea, but I can't seem to get more than 13Kph with 6 hover pads pushing and 3 either side at the front to steer with.

Can't seem to figure out what limits the speed, as it wasn't the weight I put on the barge...as it stayed at the same speed when I loaded a second reactor, a refinery, medium printer, stasis chamber and a medium FAD!

I have the hover pads out of the water....but they seem to be working well enough.

My next test will be whether I can load a buggy on the front, and still operate OK. The rocky islands north of my main base are uranium rich, so well worth exploring

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    I have been playing with floating barges to make a 'ferry' to ship my explorer buggy over a large sea, but I can't seem to get more than 13Kph with 6 hover pads pushing and 3 either side at the front to steer with.

Can't seem to figure out what limits the speed, as it wasn't the weight I put on the barge...as it stayed at the same speed when I loaded a second reactor, a refinery, medium printer, stasis chamber and a medium FAD!

I have the hover pads out of the water....but they seem to be working well enough.

My next test will be whether I can load a buggy on the front, and still operate OK. The rocky islands north of my main base are uranium rich, so well worth exploring
    My floating mobile base build had the 4 pads just above the water first, and it was slowwwwwww. Once I dropped them 1 block down so they were just in the water, the speed seemed to jump up quite a bit. One thing I haven't tested is if I go down 1 block more if it makes a difference. I do know that setting all 4 pads to steering and pushing made it pretty maneuverable - I can pretty much spin in place on the water.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first mobile base, which I built a long time ago. Maybe you saw it in steam screenshots:

upd
    Oh, seems this video with sound troubles x_x. Don't know why. In local variant all was ok...
    Last edited by Harrison; 01-11-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Vrmithrax ... putting the hover pads in the water made a real difference. Topping out at 15kph now, and the steering is improved too. I am using 6 push pads, and while it's only a couple of K's on top speed, getting up to full speed is much better, and it feels better in the water. Thanks for the tip!

I also found the use of my flat decked barge as a ferry was all good. The truck I was carrying stayed steady ( though the wheels oddly did spin as I moved along..... ) and there were no concerns over losing cargo.

I have noticed some odd glitches over the craft snagging on voxels which have been drilled away, as I made a small harbour that way, and the boat seemed to catch on things that weren't there. Not 100% sure if this is a voxel issue or a collision box issue....but I will experiment some more now I know boats are a thing I can play with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, amazing designs, looking great, how can i create like this and which software you used to create such 3D?
    I work at Happy Thanksgiving Images