Thread: new terrain generation

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

new terrain generation

Hey CraneBalls and Nomads.

While i can understand the reasons for ravine and caves removal, i really hope you will introduce something like that in the future - maybe biome specific. Its true, that the rifts are most of the time more pain in the 455 rather that anything else, but truth is there's not much else going on and well.. i certainly will miss my surprises.And i think i will have to say goodbye to my North Pole xaenite alien cave as well.
    Sry for the video quality and i dunno why there's no sound on YT, but frankly i'm glad i even record and upload it before the next patch.

So theres hope i will see some grand canyons in PN someday.

Wishlist:
    * blueprints
    * some mechanics to patch two parts together again (when you accidentally cut your build in two ;-) )
    * bigger wheals.. and i mean BIGGER wheals.
    * more torque.
    * some at least general long term goal and purpose and maybe some story wrapped all over this. (project solus comes to my mind as example)

Post Thanks / Like
    Aladin, hello, hello and welcome to the forum.

Our thoughts are very much in line with yours. Let's take a look one by one.

The reason for removing the caves and rifts is mostly performance-driven. Having the caves means adding another dimension to terrain generation, which slows the generation down and leads to players outrunning/outflying the terrain - and also having trees, rocks and other objects spawn right under their feet. It also affects animal path-finding (by adding that additional dimension) and adds additional stress on the CPU.

That said, we will still have canyons and mountains and possibly other topographical specialties, just not with overhangs. For now at least.

Onto your wishlist:

* Blueprints - having crash-sites to discover in the game, the feature we're working on currently, is based on being able to spawn (semi)finished builds... as you can guess such system can be used later for blueprints
    * Aye!
    * This is fascinating to us. We keep seeing the request, but wondering if it's worth doing. Is it really that important? Isn't it just visuals?
    * Are you sure it's not the wrong contact of the wheels with the ground and it's indeed the torque? (although your video shows you know what you're doing in that department)
    * Aye! Connected with the wrecks/crash-sites, and coming rather soon (not sure if 17th August already, but possibly).
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    *1 This is fascinating to us. We keep seeing the request, but wondering if it's worth doing. Is it really that important? Isn't it just visuals?
    *2 Are you sure it's not the wrong contact of the wheels with the ground and it's indeed the torque? (although your video shows you know what you're doing in that department)
    *1 Nope, bigger wheels will open new builds, because 2...3 (or more, depends of how big wheels you would add) wheels will always behave differently than one bigger wheel. And ofc, visual is also big part of why we want bigger wheels.
    *2 I also think that wheel could use more torque, maybe I should say way more. So far, if you add enough armor, your vehicle is doomed. And I dont mean some crazy amount of armor blocks. I dont expect that heavy builds will race throught terrain, but they should not be helpless when they see barely few degree slope. Edit: you can use wheel speed settings (slow, med, fast) to really affect wheels in a more serious way, slow would mean they will be slow (^^) but whith a ton of torque and vice versa. Maybe add more options for greater flexibility. I think a lot of people tried to set wheels to slow and see if they would climb up where they cant whith fast settings, at least I did.
    Last edited by Jimmy; 26-07-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was expecting low speed to be high torque (like a tractor) and high speed to be low torque (like a normal/sports car). I was surprised to find high speed better at climbing hills. The current system seems back to front to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is CraneBalls Daniel?

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Daniel,
    what a nice wellcome. I was stalkering your forum for a while now, but after that water gap incident i decided to come out of my shell and share it here. Btw that landscape - two big mountains and a river between - was the nicest view i got. I was wondering what maximum height are u operating in your terrain generator engine with. Will there be possible to see something like this? I know flowing water is a no go right now, but lets talk height difference and steepness now.

other than that - Wow! My PN wishes come true. I just love you guys.
    * blueprints, yeah that is exactly what i meant.I want to be able to build an undercarriage for example, save it as a custom blueprint and then use it so i dont need to build it all over again. That can be also applied when your vehicle/build have some repeated parts. What a great news.

* Big Wheals - This just takes me aback. How can't you guys see the need of it? Just step back and look at your game from a distance - you know the leaf/tree thingy? I always took it as a granted feature just not ready yet 'cause is not that important in early access/beta development state. But you have promised us planet crawlers remember? So i want spider legs, caterpillar tracks or big wheels and i can't see spider legs coming anytime soon ;-)
    Sure, you can build your car with pram wheels, but will you? Of course it is "just" visuals (and some physics that comes with it) but c'mon! Big Wheels! ;-)

* Torque - i dunno, i dont think so seeing jimmys post as that is my experience also and ditto to Rennards. But hey i encountered some bug when i needed to reverse some wheels in order for all to move forward so...<shrug>
    I can send you my savegame so you can see for yourselves.

* goal/story - omg i dont care when if it will be there eventually. Thank you.

I wish you guys luck and success. We can already see the love you put into this game and i simply must support mobile to PC movement.

*EDIT: I think this is what we nomadic engineers are all aiming for. Or is it just me? ;-)
    Last edited by Aladin; 27-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exciting to hear crashes are being implemented! I was looking forward to them forever.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    The lack of toque does seem to be an issue. I built a vehicle with 8 wheels, with a power source PER wheel, and a medium printer on it + storage for resources. When it hit relatively minor slopes, it just stopped.

If you want to say make it more realistic, maybe motors of different sizes can be added to a suspension. The heavy duty ones offering less top end speed, but certainly a lot more torque, so you can built much bigger vehicles.

Ill also +1 the need for some kind of plot, story and goal to the game. The build engine is working nicely, but it needs a REASON to build. Where are we meant to be heading too? Why do we need to get there? Maybe a set of items to be recovered across the landscape + a map might be an idea.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craneballs! You guys are awesome! Just want to thank you for your work.
    Sorry to update this old thread, but i think it belongs here. Hopefully i will have some build to show you soon (and some new features on my wishlist too haha, like central wheels controls). Oh the possibilities ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
    * some mechanics to patch two parts together again (when you accidentally cut your build in two ;-) )
    * Aye!
    Arrr! Keepin' me eye on.
    Scrawl yer thoughts or cast a bottle!

Post Thanks / Like
    With a new terrain generation, I’m hoping to see a new danger.

I’m thinking Quicksand & Tar Pits would make vehicle traps.
    Once you drive in, no driving out, so thick you cannot see under the surface and not even a wreck could pull you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id take tracks to make half-tracks before bigger wheels - but before all of that - can we get a propeller? Not an air blade, not a hover pad, but a propeller to push vehicles along under water? Or on the water if using a float?

Case in point:

My current survival game, using the new Unity had a great spawn area for the first hour. After that I needed materials that were not to be found in my biome. But my spawn was also on a smallish island. My next nearest stretch was across a body of water. 30 minutes if I were to simply swim it, or 3.5 hours and 11 winch-on-sticks to cross with a small wheeled vehicle. Why? In some areas the sea floor was more than a 2 degree grade, speed would drop to .2-.3 until I could go no further.

A simple propeller to provide a push would have been a godsend.

Ive tried these sorts of crossings with floats before as well, but without the advanced components or ores, you simply cannot make hover pads to propel yourself.

Thus there is both use and need for such a block, so long as it can be crafted from basic materials - iron, carbon, silicon and biomass. I could actually see this being the prerequisite for hover pads.

And this would make underwater excursions far more fun as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain, Indigo. We've had a "small float block" suggestion in forever, and one of the devs even mentioned that it was a good suggestion, and might pair well with an outboard type of motor. Maybe there is hope somewhere on a distant horizon...