Thread: Few Ideas - most games don't realise these

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad eriongtk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Few Ideas - most games don't realise these

Craneballs, Congratulations on the kickstarter and Steam greenlight success! I cannot personally wait to be able to get lost in the world of PN!

Before I begin my wall of text, I would like to suggest either sub forums for the ideas or have a template for people to use, like
    Type: [Suggestion type]
    Tech: [0-10]
    0: From start
    5: Mid-game
    10: End game
    Description: [Be as detailed as possible]

[Suggestion type] ► Gameplay, Generic, Building, Combat

Also, if individual posts could have like mini polls (thumbs up and down system) - to see how popular an idea is could help you in the long run?
    Something like this:

A bit more detailed:

I am not saying to rip the whole thing from another site, but we could have something tailored for PN forums

----
    Anyways, onward my request/idea

=== Added: 23.02.16 ===

Type: General ► Inventory

Tech: 0
    Inventory Management

Many games have an issue with the most important thing in a game: an inventory that is fun to interact with and responsive. Minecraft only recently implemented things that makes inventory dwelling easier.

I would like to see an inventory that is easy to handle, considering we will be spending a lot of time managing materials and stare at inventory screen to figure out how much of a certain material, item we need to proceed with our
    build.
    • Inventory Sorting system - Be it automatic or customizeable (pick item priority, which items should show up in first slots of inventory, etc) - like it would group items and list them in order: [Tools][Ores][Decorative blocks]
      Now, if its a specific item or just item group, like: [Tools][Iron ore][Decorative blocks][Silicone]
      - obviously this is just the outline
    • Item handling: move all of specific type of material, move ALL inventory to storage, (e.g.: move all [iron ore] to container.
    • Item Crafting: To avoid having to click 100 times, maybe a way to [Craft ONE] [Craft HALF] [Craft ALL] from available materials?
    • Maybe a search/filter function to be able to highlight items in inventory and or container by darkening, de-saturating other items that do not match the search criteria

Type: Building

Tech: 1-5 - depending on level of builder?

Ability to build multiple blocks at once
    Instead of having to place a wall block by block, maybe an updated version of the builder would be able to create lines, walls, etc
    • Hold down shift for a line ('X' axis only)
    • Hold down CTRL for wall (X and Y axis)
    • Hold down SHIFT+CTRL for cube (X, Y and Z axis)
    • Blueprint library: Ideal if someone is using the same build/frame, so we could save specific prefabs - like a frame of the house, save it and use it as a blueprint (Like: Frame of a house, a buggy)

Type: Gameplay ► Combat and Survival
    Tech: Not relevant

Utilize
    flora and fauna as weapons and general purposes
    There could be certain plants and animals that could be used to help us survive -

• Acidic plants to early defense against aggressive lifeforms - Throw an acidic fruit/plant as a way to try to defend ourselves
    • Animals to domesticate - for companion and food/items (wow, how original, sorry)
    • Animals could be repelled by certain scents - earned from plants?

Type: Crafting ► Custom build pieces
    Tech: 2-4

Smelter - Design your own build elements
    A smelter could be used along with molds (designed with a planner?) to make truly unique shapes and forms then use a given material - glass, iron, etc to shape it mold it to an object
    Alternatively, stencils could be used to use it to paint/decorate walls (use alpha to define shape?)

Type: Building ► Scaled blocks and "block in block"
    Tech: 5-7 - I would not be able to peel off metal just to lay the cable and put it back like it was before, or grind it smaller without immense amount of wasted materials

Block manufacturing machine to be able to scale blocks to a degree and "block in block" feature
    A machine that could manufacture smaller or larger version of a certain blocks: - obviously additional material cost would apply

• Small blocks - 1/8 or 1/16? ti add details or have a small scale model in our throne room?

• Large blocks - 2/1 - 16/1 - reduce individual blocks in a build, ability to build maaaaaahahahassive castles and lair (cue the lightning above lair)

"block in block"

• ability to run electronics, "wires" and "signals" through walls, rather than having to build a 5 cubic meter contraption just to open up a door
    • Absolutely useless example, but it's the principle: imagine if you could place lights on the side of a wheel - like a parent/child relationship

---
    More to come
    ---

I hope it was not confusing. I will gladly elaborate on any point if it is causing head scratches.
    Last edited by eriongtk; 09-05-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

jk

Post ratings are on their way I believe, I've seen how useful they are on Facepunch too.

I think some kind of creative building mode in a computer in survival mode would be nice, you can build a craft with unlimited blocks, but it's only a blueprint, you can then load that into a factory or something else that'd allow for you to to make it a reality. Those building features would be nice in it.

Stencils, people running around graffiti-ing peoples builds. I'd find that fun hehe. I think it'd make a nice touch, maybe for sort of painting individual sides of blocks with intricate designs or full on painting art.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad eriongtk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post
    Post ratings are on their way I believe, I've seen how useful they are on Facepunch too.
    Wow! that is really nice to hear! Thanks! (And yes, it is a brilliant idea, and is really useful indeed)

I think some kind of creative building mode in a computer in survival mode would be nice, you can build a craft with unlimited blocks, but it's only a blueprint, you can then load that into a factory or something else that'd allow for you to to make it a reality. Those building features would be nice in it.
    Edit: I just realised I completely misread it. Rectifying now:
    Yes, it would be amazing
    Lore wise? "Blueprint survived the crash"
    Machine manufactured blocks and tools could have more durability?
    I mean crafting a hammer with my hand is surely nowhere near the quality than a "nano printed" one

Stencils, people running around graffiti-ing peoples builds. I'd find that fun hehe. I think it'd make a nice touch, maybe for sort of painting individual sides of blocks with intricate designs or full on painting art.
    Non destructive griefing (server side toggleable)

=== Main post updated! ===
    Last edited by eriongtk; 23-02-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I think some kind of creative building mode in a computer in survival mode would be nice, you can build a craft with unlimited blocks, but it's only a blueprint, you can then load that into a factory or something else that'd allow for you to to make it a reality. Those building features would be nice in it."

Seconded. I really liked how From the Depths allowed you to create freely and save the blueprint in an infinite world. You could then go into the story/campaign and if you had enough resources (depending on size/blocks etc) you'd be able to load in your blueprint.

Really made size/cost concerns matter.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    StarMade also allows building in a Creative Mode or offline (or wherever) and saving to blueprint/disk/template. Blueprints can be instantiated in Survival mode on a multiplayer server, even, if you have the required blocks in an accessible storage. Or freely within Creative mode. Templates can be placed on the thing you are currently building, and thus could be a literal ship template as a starting point, OR could be something modular, like a section of hall or wall, or a turret assembly, which you would then place down repeatedly to build out your structure.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eriongtk View Post

Lore wise? "Blueprint survived the crash"
    Machine manufactured blocks and tools could have more durability?
    I mean crafting a hammer with my hand is surely nowhere near the quality than a "nano"
    When I talked to one of the developers on their Facebook page asking about what power requirements was required for the wrecks.

It gave them the idea of possibly fixing a wreck instead of scavenging it for parts.

If blueprints can be found in some form of computer or data crystal, the the plans for fixing the wreck might be found inside or nearby.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like all these suggestions.

Some of them seem difficult to code (like the custom shape maker) but they all sound like a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    A greatly organized suggestion post, thanks for that. I've forwarded it to Peter, chief game designer of Planet Nomads.

These are all solid suggestions that make sense. I can say that smaller blocks won't be possible, since the 0.5 m grid is as small as it gets. That's why we decided to have wires built-in to avoid the exact thing you've mentioned (5 cubic meters contraptions). Although again all objects and building blocks (lights, wires, decorations) are 0.5 m and will take that space to build always, even if they are visually smaller.

We are designing bigger blocks and will expand on those as we get more input of which ones are must have.

The smelter idea is out of question, I think, as individual blocks must be modeled. Animal taming is not planned.

The combat/survival mechanics you suggest would make for great game situations, I hope they make it to the final design decisions.

Blueprint system is a nice-to-have feature we want to see implemented down the road (post EA). Didn't occur to us, it could be used for parts of vehicles as well (prefabs). Good point.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Much easier to just hold down the primary mouse button to make a line of blocks, then have a modifier key (like left-ctrl for example) to hold down to do a plane of blocks, with perhaps the ability to hit tab if the plane is developing in the wrong axis. Not sure of the use of a cube or box unless it is hollow by default.

Reflection planes (x, y, z, z+y, x+z, y+z, and maybe for rare uses (like duplicating the Borg Queen ship) x+y+z would be handy, which automatically place block that mirror the ones you place yourself. These would need to work with multiple block placement (lines and planes of blocks).