Thread: Lack in physics

Post Thanks / Like

Lack in physics

This one was build just for fun and to test how I can use the wheel, if I not use it in the car...

So I tool 2x rotating plates and build carousel

P4.jpg

There are one rotating plate on the bottom and one on the top of that spinning thing. It was spinning without any problem and it was really tricky to stop it and fill the gaps with 1x1x1 cubes....

Then I connected the wheel like that:

P3.jpg

So, here is 2 more plans of that:

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Guess what? It is not working! The wheel trying to move forward (like clockwise, from the open side of wheel), but it really looks like that instead of spinning backward (clockwise from the top), that spinning ring trying to move forward as well (counter-clockwise).

Post Thanks / Like
    To append the previous post: when I standing on that spinning ring and moving forward - it is also starting spinning in the same direction I moving.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andy,

To overcome some physics issues, the wheel does not add rotational force, but just direct movement. This is why it cannot be used to rotate things. We plan to introduce a motorized rotor, which will be able do what you suppose. Wheel works as a brake if you're outside of cockpit, so you cannot rotate it even manually.

About moving platform by your movement, it is similar case - when you walk, physics moves whole player to the front, not just his foots to the back. And as a side effect, friction between player surface can move it in opposite way that one would assume. Everything in games is simplified somehow, to be able to simulate it in real time, and when it comes to it, you can always find some exploit. I don't think we will change this.