Thread: We need a shovel

Post Thanks / Like

We need a shovel

We really need some way to fill small holes. A shovel would be great. Some way to pick up some dirt and put it in a small hole you accidentally made with your multi-tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Or maybe the multitool could have a shovel functionality?
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj (Daniel) View Post
    Or maybe the multitool could have a shovel functionality?
    Would be nice. Even for filling up larger holes/caves. I'd like if we'd get some dirt or gravel when mining earth with the primary function (left click). Then later we could use that to fill up holes.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it would be nice if the multitool could do that.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes like Astroneer
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmph, we want to keep it a bit more realistic. In other words we're focused on the way to fix the unwanted accidental dig-ups rather than having the Astroneer's casual dirt adding everywhere.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    i've said it once and i'll say it again: people love piles. let the dirt piling begin. realistic? you have a gun which is capable of dematerializing huge volumes of earth, why should it not be possible to materialize it back?

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienMind View Post
    i've said it once and i'll say it again: people love piles. let the dirt piling begin. realistic? you have a gun which is capable of dematerializing huge volumes of earth, why should it not be possible to materialize it back?
    And can put trees in your pocket

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    And can put trees in your pocket
    what about being able to put a vehicle there? that should solve problem with vehicles flipping over and falling into holes.. :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    ... let's start with simple hammer and chisel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Please add this. I'm fed up of rescuing the vehicle (does it have a proper name?) from the holes that either generated or I dug as a way of marking routes in the absence of roads or to see if I could find any underground resources (none whatsoever so far besides water).

- - - Updated - - -

Does the current Early Release count as the Alpha?

P.s. is there like a live chat or Discord or something for NP? I'd like to ask other users for advice or help others as required. I've been adding to the wiki for the latter purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Shift+click = reverse of dig out?

Post Thanks / Like
    To keep this realistic and with minimal impact on the current implementation why not simply have a reverse function on the multi tool that fills in holes by taking small amounts of iron/carbon/silicon from inventory?

It can still use left mouse for slow refill and right mouse for faster refill plus consume battery in the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking it would be nice if we use our multitool along with Biomass to fill holes. (kind of like a to self-leveling cement)
    or maybe instead of Biomass, we could use iron or carbon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    I have been thinking it would be nice if we use our multitool along with Biomass to fill holes. (kind of like a to self-leveling cement)
    or maybe instead of Biomass, we could use iron or carbon.
    I agree with the former

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the possibility to close wholes, but using more or less expensive resources for it is IHMO insane.
    While using the multitool we could gather iron, carbon and so on - so far OK
    But (I guess) we simultaneously harvesting rubbish/mine wastes while we extract the raw materials like iron and others from soil and rocks. As well, I saw such "waste" with the automatic mining machine. IMHO this rubbish/mine wastes should be used to fill wholes.
    On the other hand, someone has to decide when we talking a about a whole and when a whole will be too huge to fill like a mining duct, cave or cavern.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care what the explanation is, but when the ground gets dug up, i want some way to smooth it over again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although multi-tool shovel/fill does sounds really cool, considering how we can now just cover any holes with flooring/blocks I have to ask would this really add enough to the game to worth the developer time?.

Building concrete roads, swimming pools, and walkways would be fun, but also does everything in their to-do and dong list.
    So I guess it all depends on how much time it would take to program.

Maybe a road size block is what we need.
    About 2 or 4 time the size of the flooring blocks.

fill.jpg
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 03-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    I don't care what the explanation is, but when the ground gets dug up, i want some way to smooth it over again.
    I agree!

Hmmph, we want to keep it a bit more realistic. In other words we're focused on the way to fix the unwanted accidental dig-ups rather than having the Astroneer's casual dirt adding everywhere.
    It could work like Subnautica's old tool where you had to get the dirt from somewhere? You had to use the terrain tool to "suck" of the sand to get it to deposit it somewhere else. That would work great.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about dirt/stone being something that can get gathered when you mine, which can then be used to fill in holes when needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good idea Chucksta, II see the auto miners collect soil but I can't get at it. It would be a great second tier thing to have, to be able to smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP156 View Post
    ... II see the auto miners collect soil but I can't get at it. ...
    Yeah, that's what gave me the idea

I've got a farm of auto miners I just installed wayyyyyy up north in the snowy area

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooo, I haven't been to the snow yet. I'm working my way up.
    I'd love to be able to plant stuff. I mean a real farm like thing, and not a green house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a path/road ability that just changes the texture of the ground?

Post Thanks / Like
    Presently building structures and moving vehicles over awkward terrain is problematic due to not being able to flatten out the land as desired. I assume that's how real life building foundations are constructed on uneven land but I can't find any information about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The answer - "Terrain flattening Gun" ^^
    This is another feature that would be nice and could fix small bumps in the terrain.
    It is also usefull to create rooms in mountains (i have a mountain base) and create ramps for your vehicle.
    The Multitool is good for small ramps but leaves you with a bumpy mess to drive over.

In a secondary mode it could slightly raise the groundmesh, creating hills rather then spikes.

Greetings