Thread: What will be the compelling gameplay that keeps us all playing?

Kickstarter Music Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

What will be the compelling gameplay that keeps us all playing?

I have played Planet Nomads through a few patches since it became available to non alpha backers and although I don't like how you have effectively nerfed the mining tool and jetpack 😥 I like the general look and style of the game.

My concern is that there is no compelling reason to keep playing beyond upgrading your equipment and building and once you are upgraded and have built a few bases and messed about with the vehicles there is nothing making me want to play on, there is no story, no real progression, nothing interesting to explore or discover.

I understand completely that this is still very early days, easy to see with the placeholder creatures and AI 😂 I just hope that you guys have a plan to add compelling reasons to continue to play and hopefully care about your character.

Keep up the good work guys, I'm excited to see what is coming in the future 😁😎

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand your concern, but on the other hand I have to say this is a sandbox game and a lot of them don't have a story or no real progression, or even care for your character at all. I'm not saying PN will not have these things, just pointing out that a lot of sandbox games are endless game worlds with no real goal at all, it's the nature of the game type.

As for nothing interesting to explore or discover, I guess you don't like nature or land formations, since PN has some of the best I've seen in a sandbox game. For me the planets generated are very intesting to explore. Did you take a look at https://trello.com/b/theYNOul/planet...pment-overview ? It gives an overview of what's planned next and you can see that there will be new biomes to explore as well as momuments and crash sites to discover.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope for dangerous biomes (lava / toxic) where you must build a base, otherwise your character will live very short time. Also I waiting a functional blocks (cameras, screens, maybe simple logic blocks / gates) and more building base blocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    i hate to say it but it's random shit happening. and multiplayer. preferable both. of course a solid coherent game gameplay and story wise is the base of this. it's only fun to break the rules (of the game) if you know the rules of it. like when the game gives you more power through money but it's very hard to acquire and you get together to break the bank yahoooo oh effect of my meds are reducing.

Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA): yes, those games have no goal BUT.. they give you the tools and the canvas of making your own goals. like in dayz-epoch when you finally get enough resources to build walls and build a raised seat and get a sniper and some cola cans and taking pot-shots at zombies outside of your "base". multiple game hours and also fun mechanics (like getting a chainsaw and a truck to get wood from forest and haul back to base and then building all these walls....) were just the tools to achieve this dream. but the whole experience was still amazing. you have to build the tools. if they are good people think back like they were really there.
    Last edited by AlienMind; 04-06-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get the feeling the plan was for the planet generator to kind of carry the game via exploration. The problem is, as No Man's Sky has shown, that in order to have an exploration game there needs to be something to find. Random generation is actually not all that great a basis for exploration because everywhere is potentially the same. Subnautica has a very cool exploration vibe, but it only manages that because a lot of the locations are hand-crafted and only the details are randomized.

I have made very similar thread when the game was first released to EA backers, and not a lot came out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is true that procedural generation has its limits. However, we have yet to fully utilize its potential. There's going to be a lot more going on on the planets. Check our Trello board for some hints and bear with us in the upcoming few months to see this unfold.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I can't wait for the 'monuments' and 'crash' parts to be implemented.

Balentius

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the game has a point.

If the whole game, (no matter how polished it eventually becomes) is just 'muck around with stuff till you get bored and stop... well, that's not good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    As long as the game has a point.

If the whole game, (no matter how polished it eventually becomes) is just 'muck around with stuff till you get bored and stop... well, that's not good.
    Let's face it though, a lot of sandbox games don't have a point at all, besides surviving in a world. They're not called sandbox games for nothing, or did you never play in a sandbox yourself? The point of a sandbox is that you use your imagination. You get a lot of sand, some molds a (small) shovel and perhaps some other tools. With those you start playing and come up with all kinds of things and stories. My granddaughter plays hours in it and comes up with all kinds of stuff. You don't get a small 2x3 meter sandbox with a few tools, no you get massive worlds with lots of tools. I'd say use your imagination, since that's the main point of a sandbox game.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    Let's face it though, a lot of sandbox games don't have a point at all, besides surviving in a world. They're not called sandbox games for nothing, or did you never play in a sandbox yourself? The point of a sandbox is that you use your imagination. You get a lot of sand, some molds a (small) shovel and perhaps some other tools. With those you start playing and come up with all kinds of things and stories. My granddaughter plays hours in it and comes up with all kinds of stuff. You don't get a small 2x3 meter sandbox with a few tools, no you get massive worlds with lots of tools. I'd say use your imagination, since that's the main point of a sandbox game.
    You are right, but the difference between good sandbox and bad is, does your creative design have any meaning except that you did good job? If not, at least me, I have no reason to make any other designs, if I dont have any use for it. Sure, eventually you will be well stocked and unlock everithing, then it is on your imagination, but the better you designs were, the easier you will create crazy big things. I hope you get my point ;)

Mining equipment for vehicles will bring I hope a lot of fun while building your ideal extractor, working your way to stars and then who knows. It seems that devs are adding new stuff pretty fast so far, if it will last there could be a lot of stuff to do soon.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    You are right, but the difference between good sandbox and bad is, does your creative design have any meaning except that you did good job? If not, at least me, I have no reason to make any other designs, if I dont have any use for it. Sure, eventually you will be well stocked and unlock everithing, then it is on your imagination, but the better you designs were, the easier you will create crazy big things. I hope you get my point ;)

Mining equipment for vehicles will bring I hope a lot of fun while building your ideal extractor, working your way to stars and then who knows. It seems that devs are adding new stuff pretty fast so far, if it will last there could be a lot of stuff to do soon.
    I get your point Yes, working towards a goal is good, but I figured the game having a point means more like having a story and missions and such. Perhaps I interpreted wrongly.

Post Thanks / Like
    just let us craft until we are omnipotent energy beings ;)
    with a factory to produce other omnipotent energy beings of course

Post Thanks / Like

Build a large city

Before the fuel requirement update, my goal was to build a large city at my landing site with roads going to camps/factories in other bio zones.
    (Now Iím spending too much time just managing stuff, Iím good with the changes but my creative build play is on hold.)
    And i can see being able to build space stations and large ships adding a lot of life to PN.

If I could rescue NPCs from other planets to populate my starting planet, that would keep me playing for a long time.
    When/if NPCs are added I hope it will feel like a epic win to get each of them, too many sandbox games are missing epic wins.

So it is up to us to create our own point/goals, Craneballs just needs to give us the tools to create.