Thread: Vehicle handling video

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy's journey at Planet Nomads

Hey, I just made video - splited in two - whith riding in two different vehicles. Finally vehicles are usable again, yet still, they are not so smooth they should be, sometimes finding a way is very hard or imposible, even for the most agile ones. Also there wanst block weight tuning yet, so I must build really basic builds.
    And also, too often you got killed by exiting either cockpit or cryopod, which was even reason for ending of this video, but it happens even while you are on wheels, most of the times I got smashed by suspension.

1.st part, whith "Crawler", ending whith switch to compact mobile base and forest biome

2.nd part, right after I unstuck mobile base, as that turn was designed on shorter vehicle
    Last edited by Jimmy; 14-06-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is wht i put the wheels on "outriggers" on my MCU to avoid death
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of improvement indeed and the terrain is the biggest enemy to an enjoyable journey on wheels. Sooner or later you get stuck. On the other hand, smoothing the terrain and having less caves could make the planets boring.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there,
    I finally put together and edited recordings I had on my HDD for a while. It is a little bit mix of versions 0.6.2 and 0.6.3, but 0.6.3 you will recognize by hinges and rotors ;) . Btw too bad you cant control hinges or rotors yet, at least to be able to lock them.

Anyway, what more to say, just watch it and then we could talk

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yaaay, thank you for taking the time to put your vids together into this epic one!! We've had a lot of fun watching it (that Godillo ride-over!) and it brings up a lot of good points, but also pain points that need improvements.

I know Pavel is thinking about locking them and even control them later on.

We're bringing up the manual save/load tomorrow to take most of the current frustration away.

You are an absolute rockstar doing all that in Survival!

As for the caves and terrain smoothing - we'll do our best to have the best of both.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you like it! and yeah, that Godillo "talks" even from beyond the grave, it was a nice bonus .

As for doing it all in Survival, it is actually quite interesting even for me as when I had choice in other games, I usually go whith creative, but in your game I play only survival even it is a little bit pain sometimes. Dunno why, it cant be just that Multitool, though I like that tool a lot. Anyway good work guys! ;) Můžeš rozdat týmu Craneballs bludišťáky za dobrou práci

Thx for info about caves and terrain smoothing, I am looking forward to see how it changes role of vehicles ingame and what new locations it will create.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The large beacon is a nice weight to help turning vehicles around because it's compact but super heavy.
    100% linux gaming

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I didnt try beacon yet so next time, thx ;) .

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait for the wheels to have better traction on inclines... vehicles are rather worthless at the moment :(

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add more wheels if your vehicle is too slow.
    100% linux gaming

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads,
    I got some inspiration from other Nomads creations and constructed a new mid-size vehicle.
    It is quite interesting how fast it can go while being stable most of the time. It still has some room for improvments, like it lean towards back, probably because uranium reactor is connected at the back and it have no other connection places.It wobbles a little bit more than my other builds, but that isnt causing any problems so far. Also in rare cases it can fly to space, in my video it happend when I drove throught tree probably and it loaded and so spawned right when I was inside it, but one time I got catapulted by driving fast over some hole in ground so few wheels might got stuck.

It has basic equipment that you would need on journey - 3D printer, sleeping pod, refinery(just because ) and enough space to hold your gathered resources while exploring. I like that it is quite narrow and short, so it could fit in most places(between rocks etc.). It has quite good traction, yet it leaves some wheels in air sometimes. Who knows, maybe if I figure out how to balance it better, it could climb steeper hills, but I am pretty satisfied whith what it can do now, in patch whith new terrain generation I bet it could drive me around the planet .

In my video, I tested how it would survive in few situations like climbing, going down the hill whith full throttle and so on and from 09m45s you can see part of way back to base. Also this is first time I used all suspensions rotated by 90°, it is more compact this way, at least in widht.

So enjoy ;)

Last edited by Jimmy; 10-08-2017 at 03:41 AM.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, this was first time I saw trees etc. underwater . Nice glitch ;)

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome videos Jimmy !

Great display of whats possible.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads, now I put together video of how my vehicle evolved from simple starter one to late-game vehicle - and ofc how well it can handle different terrain and a little exploring.
    As always, my main focus while I designed new upgrades were speed and ability to climb(and in opposite direction too) as many obstacles as it is possible whith curret physics engine.
    All wheels are set to speed mode so it can move quite fast while it still manage serious offroad driving.

Clips, which I combined together in this video were recorded from +- 3 different game versions, because devs throws at us new game versions pretty often (which is very good, even while sometimes my vehicles woked better at previous game version).
    Changes in game version you can see best at wheels textures, because I am not sure if you can see from video that changes in vehicle handling between game versions, but I could feel it pretty good while driving .

PS: I dont know why while recording, sound and video got desinchronized. I will try to encode whith CPU while playing instead of GPU and hopefully I get rid off it, but if someone had same problem and already solved it - I will be glad for any advice.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads, here is my try to build "Blade Craft" ;) . This video mainly contain exploring towards Monument while flying whith new Air Blade blocks.
    Enjoy

PS: list of all my PN videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wRyEm2XTIDP-4i

My screenshots from PN.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    wtf are those vanishing trees? insane..

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That happens every time when traveling at high speed (at my PC faster than +-30km/h) for long time, you dont have it in this way like I do? It is pretty annoying true, but not something tragical and slowly as game progress further it shoudnt happen anymore. Talking about graphic, I dont belived what I saw in this video from pre-alpha version. That drawing distance ahh, but curret PN should, in time, look like that old one and fact is, curret versions are closer and closer to it and they are already better at a lot of things.

If someone is interested, here are my
    experiences since relase of alpha whith this rendering issue:

Except that ugly and empty looks of planet, it was a pretty deadly "feature" for land vehicles when the timing was "perfect" and
    usually a rock appeared right inside a vehicle ... but in rescent game versions, the rock or any other object is usualy destroyed by the vehicle and you can continue to drive whith no harm, in worst cases it flip the vehicle upside down, usualy a lot of big trees do the flip trick as branches like to bounce off the ground into vehicle, but thats rare. On the other hand, wheels stucked "in ground" when you drive on low res version of terrain is still causing problems, but also in rescent builds it isnt deadly anymore like it was before, usualy it just instantly stop or at least rapidly slow down your vehicle.
    That is why in my videos I sometimes just stop moving for a while till all things got properly loaded and spawned, since it really look crappy. Fyi if you dont know, in fact, this ugly trees are just 2D sprites which game engine use for objects that are being rendered far away from player and as I travel, game engine cant keep up to generate and spawn full resolution version of objects and also at long distance, the game dont render at all a lot of assets
    (like rocks, nests, bushes..) so you dont see them at all opposite to trees. Most visible it is while rendering grass, which you can see "poping in" even while moving on foot. Why some group of objects seems to vanish for a moment is mystery, but my guess it is caused by too long delay while switching object detail, causing it to vanish completly in the meantime.

That is why while fast traveling long distances, PN loose one great feature - great looking and diverse nature ..."joking" but great thing about this is that you can drive through dense forest, or anything in fact, at straight line... .
    While moving on foot, or you dont drive faster than +-30km/h, you usualy see all things like you should, but I enjoy way more driving at full throttle, when it is possible and that is in majority cases .
    Last edited by Jimmy; 25-11-2017 at 03:19 AM.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My next creation is done ;)
    Ofc as I "feared", this Blade Base also cant fly up like the previous Air Blade craft. I hope devs will fix it in next patch.

Anyway, my observations of few problems I had:
    - you cant drag other air craft
    - when you shut down power for air blades and then you change altitude of that craft, then, when you turn it back on cause extreme fast motion of the craft back to altitude it had at the time of powering down
    - there is no functional way to anchor one craft to another as winch still "use physics from another universe"
    - seems that large heavy creations cause air blades to glitch and start to refusing your commands for ascension

Last edited by Jimmy; 26-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do rearward thrusting blade make the aircraft go any faster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Do rearward thrusting blade make the aircraft go any faster?
    I tested this on my hovercraft, just out of curiosity... With 4 blades on facing rearward (stabilization off), I can press the space bar while driving and get a 10kph forward boost. It's also a great emergency brake pressing the ctrl key!

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads, I constructed new wheeled vehicle for change, it is basic model - no lights, printers etc so far, just first test ride.
    As title of the video says, I was just curious how heavy vehicle on few wheels would handle while it is propelled by air blades. It reached game engine limits for suspensions while that heavy vehicle slams on ground at high speed and whithout doubled suspensions it often liked to bounce off ground quite high. But I must say it is not that bad, I expected to be worse. When drived carefully it is usable.

Last edited by Jimmy; 11-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomads, I decided to build wheeled scout, as its more fun exploring or just travel in wheeled vehicle. Since air blades were added, they are perfect for forward/backward propulsion and also, whith them I can reach 50km/h whith big wheels. So now, I am finally able to build agile bugy whith big wheels, before it was boring while my buggy top speed was around 25km/h.

This design can climb almost anything, have great stability and front doubled wheels work great by "protecting" the front side from getting stuck while jumping, driving up cliffs, crossing stone and ore boulders etc, they have only one disadvantage, when you want to knock down tree, they usualy just stop the vehicle and the tree survive, but all I have to do is aim at the tree whith any other part of the vehicle and they fall down whith ease.
    One interesting fact, the vehicle frame is build only from container and battery blocks. Also, you dont find a single one armor cube block, they all were replaced by batterys. I done it mainly because I wanted to have as mutch as possible electric storage, as it is poweren only by batterys, but it also made a great looking visage.
    Another great things are that it can stop from full speed to zero in second and it have very small turning radius. It can effectively zig-zag at high speeds throught most obstacles on the route.

Enjoy ;)

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey again, while I was going to make some free space on HDD, I found this old video. It is from older game version, I guess, the one few weeks after relase of hover blades.

I was experimenting whith invidual wheels orientation while driving on uneven terrain. Each wheel(the set of 2) has its own rotor and between chasis and ground there are in total 3 suspension blocks - one main big one hold 1/4 of all wheels, next one hold half of each wheel platform and finally, each wheel set has its own suspension. Surprisingly, it work as intended most of the time. Too bad that the main suspension cant take that much force, which is applied to it when driving, mainly while steering - as you can see, each wheel platform slide and turn to the sides.
    Anyway, it can climb up quite nicely, considering how big and heavy this thing is, it just dont have any reliable mechanism that would keep wheel platforms or invidual wheel sets from flipping upside down, which usually happen when you want to drive over small holes in ground.

My screenshots from PN.