Thread: Controller/gampad support and creative & peacefull mode

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Controller/gampad support and creative & peacefull mode

I'd like to suggest controller support, if possible even full controller support. Not sure if full support will be possible, but I'm sure moving and camera, shooting and such can be possible with a controller.

Little background, due to a muscle disorder, it's hard for me to play games with a mouse only or a keyboard only. Controllers give me no pain, but if a game mainly needs to be controlled with a mouse or a keyboard alone, I can't play it too long. I manage the combination controller & keyboard, if most can be done with the controller. Like moving, camera, shooting, placing blocks, some gathering and so on.

I posted this following suggestion on the kickstarter page as well and like to repeat it here, but have to make the comment that creative mode pretty much has been confirmed......

Will there be a peaceful mode or creative mode, for those of us who just want to explore or build without being under attack constantly? In peaceful mode, the enemies are still around, but will not react until you decide to attack. If you don't they won't bother you. In creative mode you just have and endless supply of all the blocks availabe, so you can build and build and build without worrying about survival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Controller support will probably be in, should be easy to implement considering the engine. If it isn't in yet in the alpha and you can't wait I remember there being a piece of software that allowed you to bind keys and mouse movement to a controller. That'd work as a temporary fix, can't quite remember the name.

Not sure if you've seen it but for other game's theres the steam controller, it uses trackpads which allows you to control games that normally require a mouse and keyboard. I think that'd let you enjoy other games too.

I'm pretty sure creative mode will be in too, it'd be necessary for people to really express their creativity. There will probably also be a form of peacefull mode, either configurable hostility or just no enemies at all, that could come later though. I cant wait to see

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A peaceful mode definitely gets my vote. I recall the earlier days of Subnautica where the difficulties were "Creative", "Survival", and "Hardcore". The problem I always had was that I wanted to play around with the various progression mechanisms and power generation but they were disabled in creative and I didn't want to deal with the hunger/thirst aspect of survival.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in general a creative mode is a must, and with it the ability to save templates to recreate that object later. Its something I think most people found a must when it came to creating bigger and more complex constructs in space engineers because when you had to worry about power, oxygen, etc while trying to flesh out an idea it just wasn't a good thing on the player to experience that "annoyance" factor when trying to do build but getting interrupted by other things that they didn't want to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post
    Controller support will probably be in, should be easy to implement considering the engine. If it isn't in yet in the alpha and you can't wait I remember there being a piece of software that allowed you to bind keys and mouse movement to a controller. That'd work as a temporary fix, can't quite remember the name.

Not sure if you've seen it but for other game's theres the steam controller, it uses trackpads which allows you to control games that normally require a mouse and keyboard. I think that'd let you enjoy other games too.

I'm pretty sure creative mode will be in too, it'd be necessary for people to really express their creativity. There will probably also be a form of peacefull mode, either configurable hostility or just no enemies at all, that could come later though. I cant wait to see
    Thanks. Yes, I've seen the Steam Controller and it looks interesting, but a trackpad is a no go for me. Besides, I already own 2 Logitech F710's and I'm very happy with them. They've got the right button/stick setup that causes me no pain when using them. The Steam Controller has a different setup and I've hard from others that causes quite some strain on muscles after using it for a while.... if you're prone to that

The software sounds interesting.... got to try and look that up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    The software sounds interesting.... got to try and look that up.
    I found it, it was Motionjoy(DS3), however it seems to be one of those pieces of software that's got about 20 versions, 17 of them being virus filled.

Also found videos about errors when using it with windows 10, search around and see if it's compatible. I only used it on windows 7 with a PS3 controller. I was able to configure it and play minecraft with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Unfortunately I can't use it for my Logitech F710, it's for the DS3 only.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Logitech Gaming Software. You can find it here. Go to Support and Downloads => Downloads, then found a Logitech Gaming Software and download it for your PC specs.

P.S. When you start a program, it will be seek a settings for other games (and for games, that you haven't on your PC), but I forgot, how you can skip this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, going to try this

Preorder Collector Nomad Monteknight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Please!
    Monte

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I do own a steam controller along with several others 2 F710's about 7 or so F310's along with a wired xbox 360 controller. I got the controller as soon as it came out and it has been surprising me ever since. I really loved the logitech controllers but there is one issue with having multiple controllers connected and that's software "choosing" which is the main one. For example, many games will choose an F310 over an F710, you can change your main controller through windows but that will do nothing most of the time. Almost always, the steam controller will be chosen as your main controller which i find pretty positive.So, if planet nomads will have controller support, please add the ability to choose which controller you would like to use. the track pads were a bit weird to get used to but it didn't take long at all and there are so many things you can do with it, I really recommend the controller. I think it will be able to handle games like planet nomads pretty well and you can always mess around with the configuration so there's really no loss to it.