Thread: You should be able to build and 3d-print with materials out of a container....

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to build and 3d-print with materials out of a container....

..if it's near enough. Annoying inventory-juggling should be eliminated.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can 3d print things using materials stored in containers using the medium printer if it's connected to the storage containers, however I'm disappointed, that there is no option to attach containers to the food and water maker as well as the mobile armory and medical printer.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a solution would be to give the 3d printer, FAD and armory a built-in container. Some storage space like "printing cartridges", where you can refill or pre-fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sanverm View Post
    Maybe a solution would be to give the 3d printer, FAD and armory a built-in container. Some storage space like "printing cartridges", where you can refill or pre-fill.
    You can already sort of do this with the 3d printer by attaching a small container to the conveyor port on the side.
    iirc according to the description of the FAD it says that it's the compact version, which is why it has no conveyor port. Hopefully there will be a larger version which has a conveyor port on it

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Subquake View Post
    You can 3d print things using materials stored in containers using the medium printer if it's connected to the storage containers, however I'm disappointed, that there is no option to attach containers to the food and water maker as well as the mobile armory and medical printer.
    I was somewhat disappointed as well. All those pipe fixtures and cannot hook to the armory and FAD machine.. great use for a T intersection!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you put container like this and put materials in it "medium 3D printer" recognizes them. Thank you Wazbat! Consider my problem solved.
    planet.nomads.container.printer.jpg

However, I have different problem now: In Inventory you have 70 Iron and Carbon each. In any 3D Printer you doubleclick e.g. on "Basic Frame". Queues about 40 pieces. Whereas when you click "Craft" you can only queue 4. If queuing of 40 pieces is intended, how do you queue only 10 then? How do you split a stack in inventory?
    Last edited by AlienMind; 30-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok i'm coming back to this idea but from a different angle: how cool it would be that you would have a "second inventory list" which works just like the normal inventory (used for your craft gun and/or feeding the printer) and this "second inventory list" is just showing the contents of all containers you are near of.
    This "second inventory list" could look just like it would when you build a bunch of boxes already in the same spot and open one of them. There you already also see your given label of the box so it would still have great overview.
    The only difference would be that you can open it at any time (when you're near enough to the boxes) and actually work with it. (Maybe put in a label "ground" for seeing the dropped things on the ground in the area also.)
    I think this would mitigate the hassle of inventory juggling when building and then going back to surviving again just for the sake of inventory juggling.
    Last edited by AlienMind; 01-06-2017 at 11:34 PM.