Thread: Suggestion: Plain biome for car treveling

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion: Plain biome for car treveling

Right now it's really hard to use vehicle with wheels. Too much trees, holes, mountains, huge lakes.

It would be nice to have flat desert biome as default, and smaller oasis biomes with water and rare recourses.

In short, there are no biomes that efficient for wheels.

P.S. Complete survival after 8 hours. Great game.
    Last edited by Vitriks; 28-05-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also loving this game so far...on foot.

Gave up on vehicles altogether due to the terrain being way too unforgiving. Maybe amphibious vehicle mods, hovercrafts, or even a ferry-like vehicle for crossing water?

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This suggestion has been made a lot of times already. I understand, but I also believe that surviving on an alien planet is not like a daily drive in the park.... I think that if you would be able to visit earth 1000, 500 or maybe even 100 years ago, you would have the same problems driving around in a vehicle. And an uninhabited planet like in PN is usually not made for easy driving.

I do agree that most of the planets I was on have a lot of hills and there are not many plains. So maybe this can be balanced out a bit more. But then I also would like to see some more differences in terrain: for instance, a mountain near the equator should be able to have snow on top if it is high enough. And perhaps some seas with shores? But maybe that is pushing the limits of Sandy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sanverm View Post
    This suggestion has been made a lot of times already. I understand, but I also believe that surviving on an alien planet is not like a daily drive in the park.... I think that if you would be able to visit earth 1000, 500 or maybe even 100 years ago, you would have the same problems driving around in a vehicle. And an uninhabited planet like in PN is usually not made for easy driving.

I do agree that most of the planets I was on have a lot of hills and there are not many plains. So maybe this can be balanced out a bit more. But then I also would like to see some more differences in terrain: for instance, a mountain near the equator should be able to have snow on top if it is high enough. And perhaps some seas with shores? But maybe that is pushing the limits of Sandy?
    Tell me what the point in building vehicle with wheels if there is no point in using it? At least give us an options for planet suffuse.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...handling-video
    As I made video here, you can use vehicles, but it is still a bit buggy and sometimes you lost it somehow because of game glitch, but whith frequent saves it can be done pretty good. I made a +-12km trip throught 4-5 different biomes whith compact mobile base, from start of north biomes throught forest to desert, but it was challenge sometimes..
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do agree with this. Last night I played the new update and it is great fun, except for one thing...... vehicles. Build a really nice one, drove around and enjoyed the improvements. That didn't take to long though. Way too soon I ended up in region that was impossible to drive in and when trying to get around it I fell into one of those famous well concealed holes in the ground. Game over, at least for driving my vehicle. I am back on foot again, patiently waiting for either the terrain to become more driveable or flying/hovering to be introduced in the game through new blocks. While the driving experience has improved a lot, the terrain generation isn't allowing an enjoyable driving experience.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels might be viable on their own if winches were added. Or perhaps some combination of piston/hinge/rotor. Balloon floats might help get you out of an underwater crevasse. Block floats would avoid it altogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxFaraday View Post
    Wheels might be viable on their own if winches were added. Or perhaps some combination of piston/hinge/rotor. Balloon floats might help get you out of an underwater crevasse. Block floats would avoid it altogether.
    It's a really hard thing to implement. They could come up with some sort of respawn mechanism but it would be cheating. I just think that biomes with holes should be rare and small. Or save them for other planets where you don't have to use wheels.

And holes in real life not so common. Rain and wind smooth terrain over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...handling-video
    As I made video here, you can use vehicles, but it is still a bit buggy and sometimes you lost it somehow because of game glitch, but whith frequent saves it can be done pretty good. I made a +-12km trip throught 4-5 different biomes whith compact mobile base, from start of north biomes throught forest to desert, but it was challenge sometimes..
    12 km? That's a real challenge. What direction you were heading?
    Last edited by Vitriks; 31-05-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello There,

I totally see where you coming from but this is from the point of view of a person from Earth. As an advance species that is capable of space travelling, I do believe that engineers and the collective minds would have come across a more practical way to travel or even scoot planets for that matter.
    By that fact I am not saying that wheels are wrong but rather the product of an collective evolution and environment, as such, for scoot purposes and light travel I do believe a sort of easy, portable solution would have been thought of.
    Put it this way, we did come up with 6 wheels vehicle on the moon because and only because we did survey the planet before hand, If it would have been any other biomes, do you think the 6 wheels would have been kept?

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goratrix View Post
    Hello There,

I totally see where you coming from but this is from the point of view of a person from Earth. As an advance species that is capable of space travelling, I do believe that engineers and the collective minds would have come across a more practical way to travel or even scoot planets for that matter.
    By that fact I am not saying that wheels are wrong but rather the product of an collective evolution and environment, as such, for scoot purposes and light travel I do believe a sort of easy, portable solution would have been thought of.
    Put it this way, we did come up with 6 wheels vehicle on the moon because and only because we did survey the planet before hand, If it would have been any other biomes, do you think the 6 wheels would have been kept?
    Well, that is thinking the other way around. Good point. So, you are actually saying that the planet that is generated by the game should be more easy on vehicles with wheels because it has been scouted out before the player crash-lands and because the ability to build wheels is there?

Thought: Maybe some sort of 2 wheeled motorcycle will solve a lot?

I do think that generating more plains and less holes is a good idea, but planets never are only plains. I do like the variation of the landscape a lot now. So, maybe the future plans for a hovering device or a flying device will solve a lot of the travel problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that is thinking the other way around. Good point. So, you are actually saying that the planet that is generated by the game should be more easy on vehicles with wheels because it has been scouted out before the player crash-lands and because the ability to build wheels is there?

Thought: Maybe some sort of 2 wheeled motorcycle will solve a lot?

I do think that generating more plains and less holes is a good idea, but planets never are only plains. I do like the variation of the landscape a lot now. So, maybe the future plans for a hovering device or a flying device will solve a lot of the travel problems?

Hello mate,

Sorry maybe my English isnt that good but that wasnt my point at all.

My point was, since we obviously play an advance technology specie maybe it would be better not thinking as earthling.
    Yeah we did invent the wheel, and as a result, we build roads to connect strategic point. Can you see yourself doing roads, cube by cube or even base square ? I dont think so. Anyhow this was beside the point.

My main point was that as such an advance specie, maybe the would have thought of a better way to travel like magnetism or hoover tech.
    Again this was just a suggestion that made only sense if we would open ourself to ideas.

I hope you have an awesome day

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goratrix View Post
    Hello mate,

Sorry maybe my English isnt that good but that wasnt my point at all.

My point was, since we obviously play an advance technology specie maybe it would be better not thinking as earthling.
    Yeah we did invent the wheel, and as a result, we build roads to connect strategic point. Can you see yourself doing roads, cube by cube or even base square ? I dont think so. Anyhow this was beside the point.

My main point was that as such an advance specie, maybe the would have thought of a better way to travel like magnetism or hoover tech.
    Again this was just a suggestion that made only sense if we would open ourself to ideas.

I hope you have an awesome day
    Ah, ok. But I agree to that idea. Forget the wheels, just hover on a magnet. Excellent.

And a nice day to you too!

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Except that centuries ago, we didn't have cars.

And vehicles of various sorts are a big part of this game.

They've said they are going to make the land more drivable and less swiss-cheese.
    Dunno when though.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope in next patch , or at least devs said they work hard on it.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not coming with the next patch, they made that clear already. The improveed terrain will come with a big update, which also resets all your gameplay. Since they want to avoid these resets as much as possible, major updates will only come every so often. The next major update is planned for the end of summer, so we have to wait a while..... according to the blog? Seeing the questions and responses, I'm really wondering if I'm the only one reading these blogs

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed that info. End of summer, ahh

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to pitch in here even though it might be an old topic.

I was going to say "Less resistance should be required to make trees fall over," but then I was reminded of the woodchopping vehicles in Indiana Jones and Avatar that cut through rainforests. One possibility is to create a block of sort, that chops wood and/or flattens out the terrain in front of the vehicle as you drive forward. You can't drive fast, but faster than the alternative. It could be similar to a drill, but cheaper to make, heavier to use, and can't pick up ore. This means that you can also, later, possibly have biomes with thicker forests if or when the average computer can run it. The flora that is cut doesn't have to be splintered and trash up the ground, it can disappear.

Oh, and hello again, everyone.