Thread: Global Threats - singleplayer end game content suggestion

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

First: i already like the look & feel of PN! The "mobile-base" theme is also quite an USP in this genre. But what's the overall challenge for me as a player to keep me engaged in PN? (apart from any multiplayer option)

MY suggestion: add something like "global threats" happening once and a while

For example: Why should i built a mobile base? Just for the sake of i-can-do-it? Good. Built one mobile base. Maybe built several and bigger ones. But where is my "end game content" when having masteres all building and ressources mechanics?

Give me even a low-level reason to stay engaged!

Maybe because at my position, there are thunderstorms, meteors hitting the surface, volcanos explode or this-giant-undefeatable-alien-creature events are happening. I need to build a mobile base to escape this area if necessary.

In addition: maybe add smaller threats for the in-between: single meteor strikes, smaller alien creatures attacking when i get too close, alien plants destroying components...and so on

:-)

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hummel,
    threats is something we want to have. But how will they look exactly we don't know at the moment. Thanks for your ideas though.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

:-)

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "end game" is always the hardest part of an open-world sandbox game.

Mostly you "get rich or die trying". You die so long until you have your impenetrable fortress-of-doom-landkreuzer, then the game will not be challenging anymore.

A challenge in your end game could either be stronger threats, which can become easily frustrating if they destroy that one part you just worked two hours for, or insanely high upkeep costs, meaning you would have a single player game that needs you to grind resources...

Both do not seem to be very appealing ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is why the procedural/random element of the game is the most exciting.

For instance maybe you play for 20 hours scoping out the area around your planet. You find a small hologram node of some uknown origin that is foreign to you and is made of some mysterious element that you haven't found yet on the planet. maybe it unlocks some new research or technologies to new type of blocks. Maybe it gives you coordinates to an alien world where that element came from and you can find it in more abundance there. So now your goal is to build up and go find more or bigger ruins on the planet, or build a spaceship and blast off to go find those coordinates on another planet.

Maybe during your buildup and searching the planet you uncover a rare radioactive material that enables you to build a scanner that helps you find points of interest within a certain range. Scanners that can detect wildlife, or metallic structures, detect radio waves or other communication signals, or detect density patterns to discover buried or hidden ruins or buildings.

Maybe you figure out a species that has unique DNA structure and studying it more leads to genetic modifications or implants that can make you better/faster at something.

Or you explore underground for awhile to discover there is high thermal activity in a region and you can discover and develop thermal generators there.

Maybe you find a wreck of an alien spacecraft at the bottom of the ocean and have to explore it to find its technological secrets.

There's so many possibilities if the game can randomize and create infinite number of points of interest and things to do, that is the endgame for me.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Vicizlat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one thing I've always imagined in a game like this:

You slowly find different technologies and rare materials. Eventually you build a space craft capable of long term and long distance flights. Maybe some sort of unique "Jump drive" or some other sort of FTL drive. To be able to build this you would need to explore different planets and find many different components. Once all done and you launch into space you engage your "FTL drive" and start your long voyage back home. Maybe even add some cool animation, music, roll credits and so on.

And if you really want a challenge, maybe in the end of the credits you could have some sort of space storm or malfunction and be forced to crash-land on some other unknown planet and start over again. But with the twist that this time you start with the ship you built. Of course the "special FTL drive" will be damaged beyond repair and maybe some of your thrusters and other components as well. But if you spent your time in your previous play-through and loaded your ship with fuel, supplies, components and other stuff you may need it might be easier for you this time. On the other hand if you were in a hurry to make it out of there and just build the ship and left you would have nothing. Of course to be able to do this kind of thing there needs to be a check in place that doesn't allow you to place the special FTL drive on your ship unless you have a minimum of X of this and Y of that. For example you can't place it unless you have at least one refinery, at least one 3D printer and so on. I am not familiar with what else you would need to start but I would imagine those two would be the bare minimum.
    Last edited by Vicizlat; 26-01-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would actually be really cool, as the game progresses and so do the players, once you've made it to space you can set off as a "Planetary explorer", suddenly getting a boost of resources or being able to purchases a pre-made planetary drop-ship based on what you've collected during your initial travels from a large trading hub station.

You'd then be free to travel and explore more planets on a vast scale, landing your craft and deploying your gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread.

For planet-based, single-player/multi-player, it would be nice if there are very dangerous biomes. Then you can't just build up a base, gather resources and 'win'. You have to explore and scavenge, increase your tech level, and build stronger vehicles with better weapons. Only fully equipped would you be able to overcome the challenge of the tougher biomes, where the final pieces of technology and/or resources are located that would permit you to finally get into orbit. The more advanced alien artifacts might have alien automatons defending them as well.

Jazzman mentioned radioactive elements, which you already show in your video. Possibly, the alien ruins incorporate a radioactive element, so if you find one, a tracker device you create could point you to the next closest one, even if it is underground (some excavation required).

Making getting into orbit a bit of a physics challenge could be a great mechanic, as in the Kerbal Space Program game, though not to that degree of realism. The point would be that you can't just build a ship with three magic space rockets and go to orbit. You need enough lift and fuel, which would take building the boosters, tanks, and processing the fuel for the task. Make it realistic enough that transferring materials to orbit with the earliest tech is not super simple. Just getting into orbit is an accomplishment, but you still need to get more resources into orbit, from the planet or from nearby asteroids or moons/planets, and there is more tech to discover around the solar system. The more cargo you want to lift into space at a time, the more lift you need. This can be done in the early game with just more thrusters and fuel, and later, with better tech that you get from alien artifacts in space. Thus, that is only the beginning of the end game. You would be able to make a light habitat and ships in orbit, but a heavily armored ship would take some time with just the basic tech that got you into orbit.

Perhaps, like Vicizlat mentions, there is another progression once you get into space to acquire better sub-light and orbital boosters and FTL components to get out of the solar system. Alien artifacts on a moon or asteroid would give you the tech to make use of new resources and permit the upgrading of your ship to get to another star-system. The weapons and tech you have at that point would be greater than what you had when you came to the planet in the first place. After all, it was the automated alien defenses that shot you down in the first place. You'll need to build weapons that you can use to defeat alien automatons at the ruins found around the solar system.
    Last edited by Jaycephus; 27-01-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for Global threats, I hope we will be able to destroy a planet or completely mess up a planet to extinction and be forced to leave as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the OP, it would be awesome if a giant beast wanders out of it's biome every now and then. Or poking around an alien ruins, and you awake a massive alien robot or drone that requires advance tech and lots of weapons to beat. And it protects the ruins from further investigation until you build something capable of beating it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of super threats, something you have to actively deal with because you know its going to be all kinds of hell if you don't is what should be part of survival endgame really. Hell I'd love the idea of giant sandworms ala Dune in the deserts, or those sand manta-rays in the desert in vampire hunter d bloodlust or heck take some notes outta nausicaa valley of the wind when it comes to survival elements because the "forests" in that could work really well in this game if they did them right.

Don't just make threats that become trivial, that is fine for the short-term and early game but later you need to make threats that are real and continue to be, hell lots of the survival games at the moment screw around because they don't want to destroy the things you build but that should be a real possibility in these games.

The elements/weather being a on-going threat is great, radiation storms, sandstorms, snow and ice storms, electrical and emp storms all sound great fun to deal with. But what happens if certain creatures only come out during these times? Things that you know are dangerous so you actively try to protect against or hope these creatures don't find you or your base, gives you the idea of never being truly safe which is what you want from that survival aspect.

You need to make the world the threat if you want a survival game to be fun and once you kill that threat from the world (like most in the genre do) then it stops being fun, sure people can get sick of all these things after a while but isn't part of the fun of these games working out how to make your life easier in absolute shit scenarios?

My two cents on the topic

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully, as they have stated, they will add modding hooks to be able to add variation to the existing threats, and create new ones, possibly even ramping up the danger of certain creature-types so that some biomes can only be entered with a lot of firepower, or even multiple players in multiplayer.

So even if default difficulty levels are not to the taste of some players, a mod could tweak everything for a more challenging game, or for co-op multiplayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    All in good time, Nomads. We want to add an increasingly difficult challenges (from creatures, environment hazards, weather, details coming in the upcoming future updates on our blog.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke