Thread: Since the general approach to survival changed, will suit energy change too?

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Since the general approach to survival changed, will suit energy change too?

So, the team's approach to survival design obviously changed: according to the last update and dev video, they want to make the survival experience harsh (instead of the previous approach, where they stated that eating, drinking etc. should give you "benefits").

I'm curious if this means that we can expect the suit energy mechanics to change too. Because currently the suit energy is basically unlimited, and recharges by itself in a few seconds, which is rather arcade-y. Keeping the energy levels up is often part of the survival experience in sci-fi survival games.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    to be honest if the suit energy principle would have changed to be more realistic (like it is for example in space engineers, where you have limited suit energy and for jetpack you have to have hydrogen as fuel) I would be only glad.. this neverending superfast charging energy is good for testing phases, but I hope that it is a subject of future changes..

but maybe it will be not.. you can also look at that source like it could be some sci-fi nuclear long-therm power source (simillar to those which are used in todays space probes but significantly miniaturized for personal use) combined with capacitors.. so you have constant flow of "low power" which will never run out of fuel but you need to wait for recharge your capacitor for "power hungry" applications (like multitool beam)..
    Last edited by Robertak; 10-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertak View Post
    to be honest if the suit energy principle would have changed to be more realistic (like it is for example in space engineers, where you have limited suit energy and for jetpack you have to have hydrogen as fuel) I would be only glad.. this neverending superfast charging energy is good for testing phases, but I hope that it is a subject of future changes..

but maybe it will be not.. you can also look at that source like it could be some sci-fi nuclear long-therm power source (simillar to those which are used in todays space probes but significantly miniaturized for personal use) combined with capacitors.. so you have constant flow of "low power" which will never run out of fuel but you need to wait for recharge your capacitor for "power hungry" applications (like multitool beam)..
    I would also be happy to see this auto-recharge being gone, because it's not helping my immersion in the game. At the other hand, I think the capacitor concept makes sense (i.e. certain devices can draw more power than what the battery can provide in a continuous manner) so the jetpack could still be limited that way.

Yeah, some sci-fi concept could explain the auto-recharge, but at the other hand, why can't we build that tech then to have unlimited power in our bases (although currently all power sources are unlimited, I know)? Too bad that solar power is completely ignored currently, because it would make more sense if the suit would be equipped with some solar unit (in a visible way) that would provide recharge capabilities during the day.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That may be fine for some, but not all of us want a harsh suvival game with endless grind.... since that is pretty much what you propose. Grind for food, energy, materials, not my kind of thing, but I understand others like it. They're already looking into difficutly levels of some sort, so perhaps they should have hardcore survival, where energy drainage is a thing, while it isn't in the more casual or whatever modes.

Keeping the energy levels up is often part of the survival experience in sci-fi survival games.
    and often it isn't.... always two sides of the coin

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    That may be fine for some, but not all of us want a harsh suvival game with endless grind.... since that is pretty much what you propose. Grind for food, energy, materials, not my kind of thing, but I understand others like it. They're already looking into difficutly levels of some sort, so perhaps they should have hardcore survival, where energy drainage is a thing, while it isn't in the more casual or whatever modes.
    But in Space Engineers it's pretty easy to charge the suit, given we already have a ship or a station with med bay. If it would be like that, that would already improve the experience of players who find the auto-recharge weird. Though, I'd be happy to try it out as a more difficult survival element too, but yes, it can easily turn into a grind in that case.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    They could do it with the batteries have one that increases the suit or gun power storage but depletes then the next tier can be recharged for a x number of time and third be more power and unlimited recharge

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys,

suit energy will be tweaked some more, but we want to stick with self-recharging mechanism for number of reasons - we feel it would be quite obnoxious to recharge the jetpack with items/block without giving any real mechanic into the game. Second issue is that you can easily fall into some ravine and get stuck, so this should always help you out no matter where you are. It's also fun to hover around the base or planet.

So, the team's approach to survival design obviously changed: according to the last update and dev video, they want to make the survival experience harsh (instead of the previous approach, where they stated that eating, drinking etc. should give you "benefits").
    It's harsh, but you still get bonuses from being well-fed, hydrated and well-rested. We didn't ditched that mechanic, because it's nice motivation ot always keep yourself at best condition.

Petr

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh to quote another person's post throw it between [quote][/quote] tags
    This is a quote

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I get it! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZVous View Post
    Hello guys,

suit energy will be tweaked some more, but we want to stick with self-recharging mechanism for number of reasons - we feel it would be quite obnoxious to recharge the jetpack with items/block without giving any real mechanic into the game. Second issue is that you can easily fall into some ravine and get stuck, so this should always help you out no matter where you are. It's also fun to hover around the base or planet.

It's harsh, but you still get bonuses from being well-fed, hydrated and well-rested. We didn't ditched that mechanic, because it's nice motivation ot always keep yourself at best condition.

Petr
    Good points, I'm glad you guys think about these matters so thoroughly.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    a lot of posts seem to presume we ALL play all the similar games and can get into PN easy as a result. Certainly not the case. I do think as it stands woth 0.5.4 the balance is "confused" at best. Food/water too hard to get process in the time before you starve to death. And escape pod should come with food rations, basic water filtering and some medical supplies to help you survive for a few days while you get to grips with the land. Solar energy/recharging should be essential on a suit. Also the game doesn't seem to know what it is yet, if it wants you to build a home base (with an easy return mechanism), forcing you to waste a ton of time and resources in the process or if you are meant to travel and explore? for what goal? if the nomadic style then we need as much built in to our gear, with simple popup tents etc for camping/shelter. so energy usage should tailor which style and vehicles should work and be reliable, possibly self contained portable bases . Would be useful to have explorer bots and a mapping system so we can send out bots that find resources and land features in the area so battery tech can come in in lots of ways. Maybe heavy duty batteries that are good for torque on vehicles and if you attach a solar panel to them they drain slower/stay charged during the day. But a uranium battery (been used in space craft for decades already) might not be rechargable but lasts for ages and when it dies turns into parts for armour plating (like depleted uranium is used for this in real life). All depends on the point of the game. Think of how you'd do a mission in real life, everything is built to help achieve mission goals (which are never "open world"). For all its faults, No Mans Sky has stuff for people wanting to explore/identify resouces/plants/animals, stuff for space combat, stuff for base building (note that includes being able to actually use your base as a base of operations), vehicles that actually work with consistant controls across types. PN so far just has mechanisms that could be used for these things, but no enjoyment motivation to use them. Eg if the aim is to find uranium, the gear should be there to help find it, mine it, store it and maybe process it and launch it back to somewhere in exchange for spendable credits. If the game is meant to be another minecraft clone, there's little to no motivation to have multiple bases which take sooooooooo much time and resources to build anything and no way to quick travel like rail system or teleporters between them. or fly /drive between them, if drive is meant to be the main method we should be able to lay roads, bridges and tunnels to allow fast speed travel. Perhaps being able to build townships using a variety of upgradable buildings (homes, hospital, police etc) in various styles (western, futuristic etc) and maybe other players can settle there if they find it, or wandering NPCs take up station (like a wandering doctor decides to stay in your hospital). Criteria could apply that make the towns/cities desirable to live in and generate income automatically.

As it stands I think PN is so far away from being a good game, its a proof of concept. When it decides what sort of game it wants to be then it'll have a direction for development to focus on gear and actions that suit. If it wants people to be able to play a variety of styles it needs to plan for and allow for them all. A suit is the thing meant to keep you alive , it needs sensor and ways to alert you "wake you up/stop what you're doing" to keep you alive. radar is essential to see if dangerous creatures are close and if they are hostile or docile currently. a basic water recycler that can process your dirty water automatically, maybe generate dirty water items at the rate of 2 per day for body waste but since dirty water has zero use except convert fresh then the suit should autoprocess what you have as you travel. Consider the suit having KERS (kinetic Energy recover system like in race cars but it uses your movements to generate energy to store. which in practice just means the suit battery drains a little slower. adding solar panels can have same effect. maybe a research system with breakdowns of the components of a suit: food/water processing, item storage, battery, attachment points etc and a range of customisations to reasearch if you find enough resources, such as with uranium you can upgrade the batteries for longer life, with silicon upgrade the solar panels, with titanium the frame can be weight reduced allowing for increase walking/unning/flying speed and flight time. Build attachments like a radar with enhancements for moving objects/robot/creature/docile/hostile differentiation and resource densities in the local area. So players can essentially customise their multitool, suit and jetpack depending on their needs, so the might decide to sacrifice movement speed for extra pack slots, or boost multitool beam power/ spread. So you build in the slots for these and the players decide how to fill them to enhance the basic capabilities so we're not all locked in to your I, II, III system. And the slots should be almost enough to get ever addon but not all so players are forced to choose what they want, maybe once built can be configure back at base quickly for no cost so we might have our favourite hunting configuration and favourite mining config, exploring config depending on how we want to play at the time (if you claim open world its up to player moods to decide how and when to play certain ways if ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    a lot of posts seem to presume we ALL play all the similar games and can get into PN easy as a result. Certainly not the case.
    Good observation. For the rest of your post, let me put it this way, some good points, but you must keep in mind that we all may play the game in a different way. Some of us want to build bases, others love to explore, others just do crazy experiments, others love to mine and then there are people who just want to fight creatures and so on. Then you have people who like a mix of all those and more things. PN doesn't need to be one thing, it can have you stay in one place all the time, if that's you thing. You can explore the world, if that's your thing. You can push even further and leave the planet, if that's your thing. The player has to make up his/her mind on what to do. In time there will be a storyline/quests, howerever they implement it, as well, then people can follow that.