Thread: 0.5.4 compact container needs to be the second thing you can build

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

0.5.4 compact container needs to be the second thing you can build

Inventory is not manageable when building with collected materials, the first thing you need after the 3D printer is storage before even the base platform and it is a simple item to make, 2 frame 2 plate, but it is not available until way after greenhouse which doesn't make any sense.

You have to drop items just to have the upto 5 different components needed to build early structures like the greenhouse before you can build the compact container.

I have already died once this version and I was trying, though can do better and will. But this is good as I appreciate and enjoy a challenge but this is not one of the things which should be a challenge.

I want to say again the tech tree does not need to be slavishly linear the way it is. Objects with similar degrees of complexity should unlock all together and unlocking should be a result of the infrastructure you have already built, which enables you to build them and not because of game rules say you must follow an arbitrary sequence which has no justification other than to tantalise. Arbitrary rules are not the way to tantalise, you need emergent rules eg cant get gold because ape monsters guard it etc.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second this. Inventory is quite a pain in early game. Ores, components for building, food, water, and now seeds (plus the batteries and bandages we get) add up to a lot of slots. It's not fun to try to shuffle things around and drop items temporarily, worrying about when will they disappear.

It could also help if we could use the empty slots of the printer to store items. Because currently we can't split stacks, so we have to remove all produced components from the printer (instead of the amounts that we momentarily need), without the ability to put them back, which further aggravates the situation.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to this.. compact containter should really be the first thing after printer..

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if we can make a basic crate, out of biomass.

Not even with fancy conveyor connectors or anything, just like the loot box you leave behind when you die.

Me, when i arrive in a place i like, i hop up and down to kill myself, thus giving myself a crate to store things in.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post

Me, when i arrive in a place i like, i hop up and down to kill myself, thus giving myself a crate to store things in.
    well.. that's an interesting idea.. :-)

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertak View Post
    well.. that's an interesting idea.. :-)

Yeah. I hate 'just kill yourself' solutions.
    but this is kinda necessary.

Also kill/new pod a few times to see if you land anywhere useful.
    Like desert or tundra.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the standalone biomass / wooden / plastic box suggestion. It would be in keeping with the Nomad theme of the emergency 3D printer. So if your utility weapon can produce a 3D printer surely it can make a small crate entirely out of biomass, turned into polymer, with say a slightly limited inventory of 8 slots.

So the gameplay would allow you to harvest a tree or a few bushes and then build a box, then you can gather stuff to make a 3D printer and then you can store stuff without it vanishing when you use components to build.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 We have a emergency 3D printer now, a emergency crate/box/container would totally be fitting.